Chapter 67

Compelled to Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author’s POV

The sound of the familiar school clock resonated in every classroom as the students headed off home for a week-end’s rest. Mirae and Mi Song were two of these, and went to put their books in their lockers first. Mi Song opened her locker and glanced towards her friend. “It’s been a year, right?” she asked. Mirae nodded, knowing what she meant. “One whole year since we first saw Luhan on the parking lot... With all the girls screaming and fangirling like crazy...” Mi Song chuckled. Mirae smiled shyly as she recalled Luhan’s creepy aura and how he had strolled so confidently like he owned every pebble on the ground. Now, a year later she felt safe seeing his confidence, rather than afraid. “How’s it going with his studies? Is he getting anywhere with it?” Mi Song continued, shutting her locker and turning her full attention to Mirae.

“It’s going well. He likes being back in school and showing off his smarts, as Mrs Lu says. But I honestly think he’s going to get a job soon. Not that he really needs one, we’re fine with the money we got from selling the house and so, but it’ll be good for him to see that he can manage things on his own. At least that’s what I believe,” Mirae replied with a smile.

“I’m glad it’s finally working out for you... After this long. How is it living with Mrs Lu?”

“She’s been really helpful. She has this calm and peace in herself that helps whenever Luhan gets frustrated or sad. At times I feel quite useless because I really don’t know what to tell him. So it’s been a lot better since she came back to Korea and decided to live with us,” Mirae explained.

“Good,” Mi Song said then turned a little thoughtful. “You don’t think you’re ever going to hear from Luhan’s father again, right?” Mirae closed her locker and let her eyes linger on it for a bit. Then she turned to look at Mi Song; her eyes showing the painful reality.

“No, I don’t think we’re going to hear from him. It sounded on Mrs Lu like he didn’t want to talk to her either after their divorce. I’m not too sure what exactly happened there but it cannot have gone well, considering that Mrs Lu sometimes tears up when Luhan mentions his father. Why are you wondering?” They began to walk down the empty corridor. Unlike many of the other students, neither Mirae nor Mi Song felt the need to run out of school; they strolled in a pleasant pace instead.

“I just... realised that you won’t ask his opinion then,” Mi Song trailed. Mirae frowned.

“About what?”

“You know... the fact that you’re both changing your names. And isn’t Mrs Lu sad? I mean if Luhan is changing his name it will be a definite end to their family.” Mirae looked down. She had also thought about this multiple times already. Going back and forth whether it was the right thing, what they truly wanted, or just a misstep and something they would later regret. “I understand that you want a fresh start and all, but is changing your names going to give you that? Have you even spoken to your parents about it?” Mi Song’s concern shone in between her words. They were meant to force Mirae to think this decision through at least one more time. However, Mirae could only think about what Luhan had said the day after she had whispered to him how she didn’t want them to be who they were: I need something drastic in order to move on. Otherwise I’ll keep falling into the same spiral over and over. He had been correct, and Mirae had agreed with him back then and she agreed now too.

“I haven’t spoken to them for over three months, Mi Song, you know that. And I won’t ask for their permission in this matter. I’m an adult who can make my own choices, life changing or not. I hate my name because of what it represents. Every time I hear it, I cringe. I see the insecure girl who couldn’t stand up for herself when she needed to, the girl who hid behind her big brother and the girl who was forced into a marriage she had no say in.” Mirae took a deep breath, stopping in front of her friend. “There’s something else I need to tell you.” Mi Song nodded hesitantly; she didn’t know what more to expect.

“Tell me.”

“I’m going to ask Luhan to re-marry me,” Mirae replied. Mi Song gaped in surprise, though she smiled faintly as well. “After we have gotten new names this Saturday, I’m going to ask him. Or maybe earlier, depending on whether I find a suitable time to ask or not. Anyhow, we are not Ra Hael and Han anymore; therefore we shouldn’t be married as those people, in my opinion.”

“Do you think he’ll want to re-marry you? Isn’t it better if you wait and see if this relationship actually lasts? I mean you’ve been together like a couple for half a year and you’ve been through lots of things together, but your love for him might fade. Have you put thought into that?” Mi Song carefully asked. Mirae smiled again.

“I love him, Miso. I love him in spite of everything that happened. To me, that is proof enough. If he wants to wait, then I’ll wait too,” Mirae answered confidently. During the last few mo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter