Chapter Seven

LOVE LOVE LOVE


“SUHO! KRIS!” Baekhyun’s loud shout has the entire pack jerking as he bursts into the room, Chanyeol right behind him, eyes wide and excited. This sends Kyungsoo stirring and Minseok’s eyes are narrowed at the way Chanyeol and Baekhyun are moving; jerky hyper movements as they stride over to where Kris has stood, eyebrow raised as Junmyeon slowly stands up.

 

“What is it?”

 

“I can’t believe it-!!”

 

“I know I can’t even-”

 

“Can’t believe what?” Kris cuts across, tone slightly exasperated as Junmyeon sighs, pinching the bridge of his nose, a habit he had oh so unfortunately lately picked up from Kris.

 

“Well-” Both of them state breathlessly before looking at their pack, eyes shining with a light that Kyungsoo can’t quite recognise. A kind of joyful gaze mixed with delight and excitement, almost as if they had just pulled a prank on someone, or rather, almost as if-

 

“She’s back!” They both finally blurt out, faces shining, and Kyungsoo feels somewhere in him, a pin drop. There’s complete silence in the pack, Kyungsoo completely still and the other all too surprised by the news and momentarily stunned. A reaction that in both Baekhyun and Chanyeol’s consideration was completely uncalled for.

 

“For goodness sake look at the lot of you! Have some life in you; didn’t you hear what I just said?!” Baekhyun snaps exasperatedly.

 

Silence.

 

“Maybe we were too soft. We should shout; SHE-”

 

“Shut it hyung, we heard you the first time.” Sehun cuts across, looking stunned as he tries to process the information. Chanyeol and Baekhyun both shared similar annoyed looks before sinking down onto the couch, fingers tapping out a nervous frantic rhythm on the sofa. How anti-climatic Baekhyun thought, letting out another sigh as he waits for some normal response. Kyungsoo stirred, shifting in his seat.

 

“How are you sure it’s her?”

 

“How many people have a tail Kyungsoo? And she’s swimming straight for the lagoon.” Baekhyun shoots Kyungsoo a crooked smile and Kyungsoo can feel his heart start to race, feel the excitement, his blood heat up at the prospect and possibility-

 

“But what if it isn’t her?” He finally asks, trying to beat down the rising sense of hope, “It’s not twelve months yet.”

 

“We could always ask for information.” Chanyeol replied, eyes burning with fervour and new found excitement. Kyungsoo can feel it starting, feel his wolf once again start snarling, pushing at his instincts to go; by the creator its been a long time since his wolf had surfaced. After all that pain of losing, of waiting, of searching for something he couldn’t find, of beating down all his instincts to swim there-

 

“So Kyungsoo,” Baekhyun speaks and Kyungsoo looks up, startled, eyes wide as he sees flames of fire engulf Chanyeol’s hands and light start to beam out from Baekhyun’s palms, “What do you say for a little game of chase?”

 

There’s no mistaking that twinkle in Baekhyun’s eye, or Sehun’s irritated mutter as he stands up, stretching his long torso. Kyungsoo blinks again as Luhan too stands, yanking a lazy Jongdae up who bounces on the balls of his feet. Beside him, Jongin rises as well, stretching his back as Tao twirls his bamboo stick once, a feral smile on his face. Slowly but surely, Kyungsoo sees all his pack members stand, and something that was broken in him is mended as his wolf snarls, scrabbling and fighting, needing to run, needing to chase and follow-

 

“Game on.” Kyungsoo snarls and Baekhyun smirks as their beta stands, eyes glowing faintly as vines entwine around his hands, his shoulders almost inflating with size as his normal heart shaped lips are pulled back into a snarl.

 

“That’s our Kyungsoo.” Chanyeol murmurs and Baekhyun hisses, watching as Kris throws his head back to let out a loud ear splitting howl.

 

The hunt was on.

 

“HEHEHEHE!” The little girl giggled, eyes sparkling as her brother sniggered along with her, both their eyes glimmering with mirth. As to what was so funny Luhan had no idea, but judging from the clock on the wall, this particular bed time story was taking a rather long time. No time for chiding Luhan thought drily before jumping back into the story telling, the slow tick tock of the clock chasing him towards the apparent finishing line.

 

The exhilaration, the joy, the desire; it’s all rushing through Kyungsoo as he races through the forest, his paws barely touching the floor. He’s a blur and he knows that his speed is quicker than his usual speed. But he can’t help it; he can’t help the way his soul is lighter, and he can’t help the way a string seems to be tugging at his heart. Dragging him, incessantly pulling. It’s irritating, but there’s a certain delight in the annoyance Kyungsoo thinks as he feels the glow coming from within.

 

The kind of glow that comes from within.

 

Ignited by only one possible person.

 

He knows he’s gaining, and he knows that his brothers are matching, if not running even faster than him. Kyungsoo knew what Junmyeon and Kris wanted to do. They wanted to buffer him, shield him just in case it wasn’t her, but Kyungsoo couldn’t care less. It fitted in all the right places. Every clue matched and he was tired of waiting. Tired of lonely lights, of cold sheets and waking up with the moonlight shining on the empty half. He needed her back in his arms.

 

And creator forbid that anyone tried to stand in his way.

 

It’s a kind of freedom Kyungsoo never thought he could ever possibly feel. His soul, his heart, caged up and hidden behind barricades now freely flying, soaring and searching to reunite with her. The excitement in him triples, expanding till infinity because nothing else can possibly compare to the expanding joy consuming his heart. He’s getting closer and with every thud of his paws hitting the floor his speed doubled, tripled. His eyes shone and Sehun wanted to howl with joy at seeing life in his brother’s eyes.

 

All too soon the lagoon appears and Kyungsoo skids to a halt, pebbles scraping with rocks as his paws scrabble for a hold, scuffing against the ground excitedly. There are loud howls, and Kyungsoo feels himself shirk away slightly as Jongin’s underlying distress in his howl. Ignoring it as the splashes of arms slicing through water drew closer, Kyungsoo changed, undergoing the shift. Bones crackling, skin expanding, muscles finding their original place, Kyungsoo is a ball of nerves, strings pulled taut with anxiety as his brothers drive the mystery mermaid to the lagoon.

 

All it takes is a glimpse of her tail as the mermaid dives into the lagoon for Kyungsoo to realise that no she isn’t the one he’s looking for.

 

Not his.

 

The sharp intake of breath from Kyungsoo has Kris and Junmyeon by his side in a second, their hands clutching his shoulders as the younger fights the overwhelming sense of disappointment. His heart is heavy, and there’s something sharp chipping away at his soul, an invisible hand taking and taking and taking-

 

“Who are you mermaid and what is your business doing in our territory?” Minseok speaks up, eyes flint black as his addresses the mermaid flatly. While he knew it was irrational of him to take out his anger on this new mermaid, he could feel the anger at the unnecessary pain his brother was experiencing. It hadn’t been necessary but she she, urgh.

 

Minseok’s sharp tone has said mermaid flinching from the side, backing even further towards the waterfall. Her raven haired locks are swept to the side and her arms were carrying something, cradling-

 

“What do you have in your arms?” Minseok barks out, unnecessarily harsh, causing Yixing to cuff him across the head, scowling, reprimanding the elder along the lines of mermaids getting easily spooked.

 

“What I carry is none of your business!” The mermaid flings back in a voice of pure bells, her emerald eyes narrowing as she cradles her hidden property closer towards her, “Give me your name wolf and maybe I will give you what you seek!”

 

Her haughty almost disrespectful tone would have sent Minseok boiling under most circumstances if it wasn’t for the fact that those emerald eyes betrayed a hint of vulnerability. Vulnerability lost on an incredibly sharp witty tongue Minseok thought drily before shooting Yixing his most affronted look.

 

“You said something about easily spooked?” He mentioned sarcastically, earning another rap across the head from Yixing as Kris and Junmyeon both concentrate on comforting Kyungsoo, pouring in comfort only the alphas could give. Rolling his eyes at how much of an idiot everyone seemed to be being, Luhan decided to take control of the situation.

 

“My name is Luhan.” He says sweetly, squatting down at the edge of the lagoon, “We were hoping for someone else. You see that wolf, “he points at Kyungsoo, and the mermaid takes in his pained stature, eyes squeezed shut, “he’s Kyungsoo. And he awaits-”

 

“Kyungsoo?” There’s something about the way her eyes widens, the way emerald eyes light up in relief, that has Minseok stepping closer, eyes flashing.

 

“You’ve heard his name before haven’t you?” Minseok questions, voice dangerously low as he looks at the raven haired curiously.

 

“I…”

 

“And not from us have that name been uttered.” Minseok is staring at those forest green eyes and it’s clicking, the knobs and wires rotating, fractured pieces of logic and rational slowly starting to form and piece together the puzzle.

 

“I’m Eleria.” She whispers, dark evergreen tail flicking behind her as she swims to Kyungsoo who turns to face her, his brown eyes judging the sincerity, the awe of her tone, “And this is her gift to you.”

 

Eleria deposits the bundle into Kyungsoo’s arms, the wolf having knelt down. The bundle is warm and soft, and smells of the sea Kyungsoo thinks, breathing in that bittersweet scent, the memories flooding his mind. Fingers clasping the edge of the bundle, he lifts to peep under the wet covers, the blanket, and his eyes widens. A strangled noise leaves his throat as Eleria smiles up at him, eyes shining.

 

“Kyungsoo?”

 

“Kyungsoo what is- Oh my!”

 

The cry of the newborn baby echoes throughout the forest as Kyungsoo cradled his newborn daughter, whose eyes reminded him of the mate he missed so much.

 

“That was me!” The little girl squeals proudly, eyes shining as she looks indignantly at her older brother, “I managed to get away!”

 

“Only because Sister Eleria was carrying you!” Comes the firm retort that has Luhan rolling his eyes and yanking the squabbling twins apart for the umpteenth time.

 

“Wait, hold up, you mean to say-”

 

“Or what we think you mean to say-”

 

“Is that-”

 

“SHE’S GOING TO BE EXORCISED?!” Junmyeon’s angry shriek fills the entire mansion, stirring awake the nursing little baby girl in Minseok’s arms that has the elder snarling pointedly at Junmyeon before returning back to the lullaby he was previously humming.

 

“Junmyeon, calm down.” Kyungsoo speaks up, his tone with an undercurrent warning that has the alpha blinking in surprise. Clasping a hand on Junmyeon’s shoulder Kyungsoo addresses Eleria then, his expression softening at the shivering mermaid.

“Perhaps you could better explain what exactly you mean by an exorcism.” His tone leaves no room for an argument, and his dark eyes seem to rage an inner wrath so strong Eleria would have cowered if not for the precious child cooing in Minseok’s arms.

 

“The exorcism, the-” Before, words had came easily; would have come easily but now she found herself tongue tied, unable to fully explain how it work. How to allow them to fully understand the workings, the rationale behind this apparent barbaric nature. Helpless in her words, she found herself glancing at the gurgling child in Minseok, that dangerous wolf’s arms. Glancing upwards, she was struck by how wide his eyes were. Filled with the depth of unspeakable knowledge, strength, but most of all understanding. Within those dark orbs there was patience and calmness; both of which soon gave Eleria her words back.

 

“A long time ago after the Great War, it became apparent that with no men, our race would never be able to survive. So the solution came to us to mate with those who dwelled on land.

 

From there, problems began to occur almost immediately. The children born from their mixed heritage were able to wield both powers, or only one from their land dwelling parent. Even if they wielded just water as their element, they would taint the race, the purity of the merfolk. And so a deal with sorcery was made.” Eleria paused, warming her hands, conscious of the pack’s stare.

 

“When the child is born, before his fourth week into the world, the exorcism will be performed. It does not hurt the child, but instead takes away the child’s other elements. Making the child born a true sired one of the sea; unable to taint the heritage and purity of the merfolk. But the elders never foresaw the problem we have now.” Eleria breathed out, looking up to meet the intense gaze of the pack.

 

“What problem?” Kyungsoo’s voice is a low growl of anger, a brutal warning snarl of fear and anxiety. Eleria swallowed before glancing at Minseok who his head to the side, listening, awaiting.

 

“The male children are infertile. Some consider it a punishment from the creator, but the elders say that it is but a side effect of the exorcism. A bit of perfecting,” Eleria all but hisses at that word, “And our race should not face that problem.”

 

Eleria gave a bleak laugh, “We’ve been perfecting this for hundreds of years; the elders are in denial, they are imi lúmë!” The savagery, the way she pronounced the last two words has Minseok almost flinching at the ancient language. He had never been old enough to have had the grace of hearing the mother language of the merfolk, but he could not hold appreciation now of all times for it.

 

“We must hurry.” Kris speaks up, looking up from the map now laid on the library’s table, “They hold their exorcism just off the cliff of Dúttërbërg. We have enough hold to claim it as part of our territory, but we must reach in time. From what Eleria has said-”

 

“At least, with that amount of entourage, they’ll be there in four days.” Jongin cuts across, finger tracing the route on the map, “They would be heavily guarded, both mother and son.”

 

“But they are still part of the council are they not?” Tao shoots back, and Chanyeol shakes his head.

 

“I doubt they still hold by those rules; when the new bonds were laid they were binded without a representative. In other words the contract of peace does not bind them.” Chanyeol replies grimly.

 

“A technical oversight that will soon be paid for by innocents?” Jongdae’s low growl has the wolves discussing again, tension climbing and building when Junmyeon rises to his full height.

 

Enough.” His loud snarl combined with Kris has the entire place silent in a matter of seconds, the alphas inserting their dominance.

 

“Sehun, send a message to the faeries for their representative; Chanyeol do the same for the phoenixes. The merfolk might not listen to our pleas but perhaps from the council they would listen. Baekhyun, contact the wolves’ representative. The rest of us have work to do with regards to ambush and escape plans. Minseok,” Junmyeon faltered, a gentler smile on his face as he stared at the newborn child, “Minseok and Eleria have a baby to feed.”

 

GO. Time is not on our side!” Kris snarls and just like that the room is in a flurry of action again, words and speech jumbling together in a frenzied race against time.

 

“Oooh! Is this the part where Uncle hmods-”

 

“Will you keep quiet?! The story isn’t done and our parents will be home soon! If we’re caught awake, the story can be cut short and we can say goodbye to Luhan Ge!” The little boy hisses, clamping his hands over his sister’s mouth much to Luhan’s own mirth.

 

He was right about one thing, the story wasn’t done…

 

Yet.

 

Author-nim is SO sorry for the super duer late update; life just in general so no one has been giving me space to breathe/type so yes I am terribly sorry! Te mermaid language is borrowed from Lord of the Rings adfhdfksdl *ehem* but yes I hope you enjoyed this chapter and well, the story will be coming to an end soon... T^T Until the next update; please comment! SARANGHAE <3 ON TOP OF THAT THE NEW POSTER IS SO LOVELY ahdgfhsgfjshkdjcs huhu okay I will go now byeeeee ~(>3<)~