Chapter Four

LOVE LOVE LOVE

"We really need those cables."

 

"But the market doesn't come till the day after so stop whining!" Minseok says exasperatedly, fixing Baekhyun with a look.

 

"It's not my fault. I didn't even play it so much! It was because some people were being complete s and-"

 

"Okay relax, I get it princess." Minseok says exasperatedly earning chuckles from everyone before turning to Kyungsoo, "And what can I do for you mister love struck?"

 

"She's craving ice cream but I can't seem to find-"

 

"Of course you won't be able to find any, because, we don't have any!" Minseok snaps in exasperation as Kyungsoo pops his head out from behind the refrigerator door, smiling sheepishly, "You've eaten up everything in that damn fridge! If you can't find ice cream in the fridge, does it look like there'll be ice cream anywhere in this house? Honestly, I just want to cook a meal for goodness sake-"

 

"Kyungsoo?" A soft beautiful voice cuts across Minseok and he turns to see the mermaid, peeking through the door way. Kyungsoo looks up and almost immediately his face transforms into one of pure adoration and he was practically glowing with Joy.

 

"I'm so sorry, there's no ice cream anymore," her face fell and Kyungsoo immediately panicked, closing the refrigerator door, "But it's okay! I'll get you more soon! You can have all the ice cream in the world-"

 

"Kyungsoo she's a mermaid." Kris says, his eyes sliding to Kyungsoo while the rest of them have their mouths hanging open in shock.

 

"I thought we came to that conclusion ages ago?"

 

"Kyungsoo, she has legs." Luhan practically splutters aloud and that's when Kyungsoo looks down, his mouth falling open as he sees that his beautiful mermaid mate is standing, key word standing, on two perfect pink tiny feet. With toes and everything.

 

"You, you're, you're walking!!" Kyungsoo flails his arms around in shock as he stutters, incoherently blabbering and spluttering as he tries to form a proper sentence. In the end he just gives up and proceeds to just stare, owl eyes even wider than usual while his head whipped back and forth between Luhan and his mate.

 

"H-How are you walking?!" Kyungsoo finally manages out a proper sentence, mouth falling open as the mermaid stares at him shyly.

 

"Mermaids can walk on land."

 

"What." Luhan says robotically, looking at her.

 

"Mermaids once completely out of the water grow legs! A transformation of sort. Kyungsoo was taking a long time getting ice cream so I climbed out of the pool, waited until my tail became legs and walked here!" The mermaid beamed and the entire Exo just stared at her blankly.

 

"So you're telling me, you just need to get out of the water and hey presto you're a human?"

 

"Yup!" The mermaid flashes Kris a blinding white smile and Kris groans.

 

"So you can walk on land?"

 

"Yes!"

 

"Then why did you guys have to have in the freaking SWIMMING POOL?!" Junmyeon practically screeches and there's no mistaking Kyungsoo's red face and the mermaid's slightly embarrassed laughter.

 

"What is ?"

 

. That wasn't supposed to come out. Oh good lord this wasn't going to be some other long chicken and bull story for him to explain the reproductive system to the kids too alright, baby sitting is hard work.

 

"Sehun Oppa's version of contact!"

 

"Oh... Okie! Continue please Luhan Ge!"

 

"Baby, the market is today, do you want to come along?" Kyungsoo coos softly, pressing his lips to the temple of his mate, watching as she giggles slightly, but not replying him. Growling gently, Kyungsoo bites her neck teasingly, watching as she squirms and laughs, twisting and turning until he's on top of her, straddling her.

 

"Do you want to go outside?" Kyungsoo asks softly, his eyes gentle as his mate stares at him for a moment.

 

"Can I go?" She asks, tilting her head and Kyungsoo can feel his inner wolf practically melt at her question.

 

"Of course you can go! I'll be with you all the time, don't worry." He says softly, nosing her gently.

 

"I'll go change then!" His mate says happily and Kyungsoo grins, pecking her on her cheek, "I'll wait for you downstairs."

 

It's a long drive to the market but it's worth his mate's excited expression as she dances and weaves through the stalls, pulling him and dragging along. They stop by the cable stall and she watches in fascination as Baekhyun pulls out Junmyeon'scredit card.

 

"I don't see the floating money!!"

 

"It's invisible, I told you that." Kyungsoo chuckles.

 

The next store they reach is a fabric clothes store. And this is when kyungsoo realises that no matter the species, girls will be girls as his mate gushed over the lovely fabrics, adoring the silk because of it's smoothness. She pointed out the dresses she liked and even tried some on, choosing specifically colours that were blue. Turquoise, sky blue, indigo blue, it was all she chose. Kyungsoo paid for it, reaching out for Junmyeon's credit card, so intense in his conversation of bartering that he doesn't notice his mate slipping away.

 

"What are you doing here?"

 

"I-" The mermaid looked away from the other mermaid, the other's cutting blue gaze boring holes into her, "You've done your job. What are you doing? You've been gone for close to three months any longer and you know what will happen." The mermaid turned, ignoring the blonde's warning as she finally disappeared, following a Faerie.

 

She was right, what was she doing? She had accomplished her mission. She had done what needed to be done, and she was in the open, she could easily leave, easily walk away. Why wasn't she going? Why was she staying? One more week. She thinks to herself, closing her eyes as she bites her lip, heart aching. Why did this feel so wrong?

 

"Jagiya?" Kyungsoo's soft touch on her shoulder has her shaking, "Are you alright."

 

No.

 

Hold me tightly.

 

Please don't ever let go.

 

"I'm fine." The mermaid turns to him, smiling brightly.

 

"I'm fine."

 

"Nooooo I don't want to hear this part!" The little girl pouted.

 

"But it's the best part!" The boy whined.

 

"Noooooo-"

 

"Hush." Luhan says softly and the two twins finally fall silent as they see that Luhan's eyes are glittering a little too brightly under the lights.

 

"You alright?" Kyungsoo touches his mate's back, glancing at her, watching as the moonlight shone on her, much like that very first night. She turns, and Kyungsoo sees something flickering in her eyes, it's there for a split second and then it's gone as she kisses him, feverishly pressing herself against him. Kyungsoo responds gently, but she's a mess of desperation as she pushes him back onto the pillows.

 

"I love you." She whispers into his ear and Kyungsoo freezes.

 

"What, what did you say?" Kyungsoo asked quietly, his arms wrapped around her waist, fingers dancing across her waist.

 

"I love you." It's almost like a sob against his lips as she repeats it and this time, Kyungsoo kisses her back with equal ferocity, his eyes glowing as his hands rake through her hair and slides downwards. Her skin is smooth and silky, and Kyungsoo can't help the soft whispers that escapes his lips like a prayer as their limbs entangle, as they become one, and finally as fireworks exploded in his eyes and his back arches.

 

"I love you. So, so so much." Kyungsoo huskily whispers, his legs entwined around his mate's, his hand pressing down in her lower back, the moonlight the only light in the room, shining on their bare skin and the twisted translucent sheets. Wrapping an arm around her, Kyungsoo breathed in her sweet vanilla scent, mixed with the slight saltiness of the sea as he memorised it, his heart beating a slow lulling beat. Within seconds, Kyungsoo is asleep, drifting in content and pure happiness.

 

But she isn't.

 

Lying still, encased in a familiar still warmth, the mermaid closed her eyes, soaking up the feeling of being held so close to her mate. She memorises the feel of his skin, soft and warm against hers, memorises his scent of oak and cedar. She memorises the beat of his heart, the most beautiful melody she has ever heard, and memorises his smile like a million stars shining at her. She memorises his soft touches, those crystal clear eyes, dark alluring pools of brown, red rose lips and black raven hair. She memorises his broad shoulders, his warm palms, but most of all, she memorises his voice. That soft velvety tone, that low timbre, the voice that echoes her dreams and heart, the voice that she fell for, and finally the person. constricts as she glances up at his peaceful expression. What she did now would break him, tear him apart, tear them apart. Every single thing would be turned to dust.

 

But if she didn't, his whole race would suffer the consequences. She could bide him time, somehow, she didn't know how but she could, she would. Shivering, but not from cold, she finally lifts the arm around her, placing it gently back onto the sheets. Her heart is shaking, her frame trembles as she stares at her other half. How could she have fallen so quickly, so deeply for him? A wolf and a mermaid, she could almost hear the jeers. The land and the sea, one? She should leave now, but her heart is aching as she looks at his sleeping figure. And so she bends down to give him one last final gift.

 

Her heart.

 

"I love you." She whispers, his hair as a tear finally escapes the corner of her eye. Catching it in her palm, she takes in a shaky breath as the tear finally transforms into a pearl, glimmering in the dark. Placing it on the bedside table, she looks down at Kyungsoo, her heart begging, her soul crying.

 

It wasn't just a dream my love. It wasn't.

 

"NOOOOOO UMMA AND APPA!!!" The little girl shrieks in horror, punching Luhan vigorously in dismay.

 

"OWW!" Luhan howls, mockingly glaring at the little girl who stops, smiling sheepishly.

 

"Continue Lu ge don't just stop there!" The boy whines, owl eyes shining under the lights and Luhan chuckles, shaking his head. Spoilt brats...

 

Something is wrong. Something is terribly terribly wrong. The instinct in his gut nags at him, kicking start an uneasy deep feeling in his chest. Eyes flashing open, Kyungsoo kicks back the duvet, chest heaving, his hair sticking up as his inner wolf whines in distress. Everything is fine, Kyungsoo's half awake brain scolds. Honestly, all that fuss for nothing... Kyungsoo groans, lying back down on the mattress, sighing as his hand slid over the mattress to find-

 

Nothing.

 

Kyungsoo's eyes widens and shooting up at the speed of light, he turns, panic invading his system as he took in the other side of the bed. Rumpled sheets, pulled back duvet, but she wasn't there. Fear seizes him, his heart stopping a beat as his hands grasp at the sheets of the bed. It's still slightly warm, her scent lingers and Kyungsoo relaxes for a fraction of a second. Maybe she went down to the kitchen to get a drink, he tells himself, desperately trying to calm his panic driven heart. That's probably it, he thinks to himself, taking in deep breaths. But still his wolf whines in obvious distress, and Kyungsoo shudders. Nothing is out of place; why would she leave? There was no clue that she'll-

 

Oh.

 

Oh.

 

His eyes catch the pearl on the bedside table, it's silver sheen shining in the dark, in the moonlight. A momento, a gift, a farewell present.

 

Oh the creator. Kyungsoo stops breathing, his hand reaching out to carefully cradle the pearl. It's real, the slight weight in his palm and Kyungsoo gasps, finally taking in air as reality hits him hard in his chest, in the place where it hurts most, his heart. No no no, his mind wails and Kyungsoo can't help the loud howl of sorrow that escapes his throat as he finally understands. As he finally realises that she's not there. He remembers her words, her words she said the night he finally claimed her as his own and she claimed him as her own, that she missed home.

 

"Kyungsoo?! What's wrong?" He hears Junmyeon's anxious voice and he finds eleven of his brothers standing at the doorway. Shaking, Kyungsoo opens his palm, revealing the pearl as his brothers take in the pulled back sheets, the lack of her presence. A dark shadow crosses Kris' face as Kyungsoo finally speaks, voice breaking.

 

"She left."

 

"No, no, no interruptions, I'm in the story telling mood now! Hush." Luhan growls sternly, ignoring the bouncing girl and boy on his lap.

 

"Now where were we......"

 

She's a blur through the trees, her chest heaving as she struggles through the forest to get to the lake. The moon is but a silver orb in the sky and she's struggling through one of the vines when she hears it, that rich sad desperate howl. It rips through her and she gasps, her hand grabbing the bark of the tree for support as she turns into the direction of the howl, her heart breaking into a million pieces, her soul crushed under the sole sadness coming from her mate. But she has no time for tears, she thinks, eyes wet and blurred; he knows she's missing. She must get to the lake before he finds her.

 

Or she'll never leave.

 

"Kyungsoo-"

 

"She's at the cedar trees, she's heading to the lake." Kyungsoo shudders as he feels his powers ripple, as he felt her momentary presence, her hand on the tree before it lifted.

 

"Hurry, we must go now if we are to catch her-"

 

"Kyungsoo, if she's leaving that means she doesn't want to stay she-"

 

"I can't just let her leave!" Kyungsoo snarls, causing Luhan to jerk back in surprise, "Do you understand how I feel about her? She's the light to me, my sun in an eternal abyss, do you not understand that I," The pack stares as Kyungsoo swallows, his steely eyes glimmering with tears as his voice cracks, "That I'm in love with her?" Luhan flinches back as the strength of words, the choice of words were flung at him. The pack stiffened as they momentarily felt Kyungsoo's sorrow, his need, his desire, but most of all, love, all tied to her.

 

"Then let's get her." Jongin says sharply, eyes flashing red as Luhan treads forward, flinging open the door, lifting his head to howl. Kyungsoo's heart aches and he wonders, he prays, that she could hear him.

 

Please don't leave me, please.

 

She's close. She's superbly close, she can hear the sound of waves lapping on the shore. But there's no desire here, she thinks bitterly as she steps from the shadows, her eyes fixed on the dark turquoise water, the stars and moon reflected on the surface. So long had she missed this, ached for the sea, for the chance to return to the dark flickering world of shadows and the unknown. But now she felt no happiness, instead a heavy burden as she nurses her broken heart. However, she knew she had a duty to do, a task to fulfil, for his sake she must leave. Her feet dart across the narrow metre or so away from the lake, so close...

 

But she never reaches it as she feels something warm and furry collide into her. The heavy scent of oak and cedar hits her, a scent she knew well, a scent that she had bathed in not so long ago. When she falls to the ground, heavy wolf paws are gone, and strong arms restrain her as she desperately tries to shove him away. But he's strong, a wolf for creator sake, and all she can do is struggle helplessly as Kyungsoo holds her tightly, his arms restraining his mate.

 

"I'm selfish!" Kyungsoo finally snaps, chest heaving as he finally sees his mate in a different light, as she claws him desperately, eyes fixed only on the distant close shore, "I'm selfish!" She shudders once and Kyungsoo can't help his voice that breaks, breaks exactly like how his soul was falling apart, "But please, if I mean anything, anything at all to you, even if I'm selfish for keeping you, for holding you here, please, please stop fighting me as if we never loved before."

 

Those words break her and with a loud wail she wraps her arms around his neck and bursts into tears, tears that flow freely down her face as she gives in to the need to comfort him, to let him know with all her heart that this wasn't what he thought. That she needed him, and that she never wanted this. All Kyungsoo can do is rock her softly, murmuring soft words of love and protection, but a single glance from Kris and Junmyeon's faces has his heart sinking at the truth, the clear bottomless truth.

 

Nothing was alright.

 

"Do I have tears in my eyes?" Luhan asks gruffly and both the little boy and girl kisses his cheek, hands wiping away the tear tracks that line Luhan's face, wiping it away as though it was never there.

 

 

 

I'm horrible. I am a horrible person; I've been writing Kyungsoo angst continuously. I keep making him suffer LOL In Baby Don't Cry he waits like freaking three years, and then in Hello he dies and then... Wait. That's actually very little angst HAHA but whatever. Anyway, I hope you guys dealt with the angst well I am sorry for not warning you all :3 Hope the angst was good enough to deserve comments? And upvotes and subscriptions >.<  I want to know what you think :D Lots of love <3  PS: I am prepared with tissues so you can cry all you want and hit me; just don't kill me cause I need to continue this fic LOL XX.