Chapter Two

LOVE LOVE LOVE

 

"She wouldn't answer your questions? What about her behaviour?"

 

"Nothing Hyung. She was giving nothing away."

 

"Right... Anything you haven't told us? You look shakened." Junmyeon said quietly and Kyungsoo froze. He had deliberately left out the mermaid's invitation. For some reason, he felt that it was private. For him to know, and it felt wrong saying it to the others. Wordlessly, he shook his head.

 

"Come on he just interrogated a mermaid alone! She could have dragged him in anytime since he was at the edge."

 

"Well I think-"

 

"Well we think Kyungsoo should do mermaid watching alone." Junmyeon interrupted, and Kyungsoo gaped in disbelief at his two alphas.

 

"Alone?!"

 

"Well not exactly. She said she wanted trust. So you'll just have to earn it from her. Spend time with her, get her to trust you. The others will still do mermaid watch but you, you'll have to spend time with her alone. Get her trust." Junmyeon replied quietly, explaining. Kyungsoo swallowed and nodded. What had happened to his earlier view if merpeople? Horrible, sick, twisted, evil. But she was nothing like that. She was a siren of the sea, mysterious, deadly and fascinating. His heart sank. He had a feeling this wasn't going to go well.

 

"B-But that's lying!"

 

"That's against-" both kids fell silent at Luhan's annoyed gaze and reminded themselves not to interrupt him anymore. Especially since they wanted to hear the whole story.

 

So it was like that. The next morning, Kyungsoo was down for 'quality time' with the mermaid, and was bringing her breakfast. He had cooked, as always, and he wondered, what exactly did merpeople eat? Slowly, he sat the tray down at the edge of the boundary, jumping in shock as the mermaid suddenly appeared, head above the water.

 

"You're alone."

 

"Damnit you scared me! Well, I err, I made breakfast." Kyungsoo finished lamely, ducking his head and heading to the bench to read while pushing the tray to the mermaid across the boundary. Even though he was supposed to gain her trust, Kyungsoo felt strangely out of place, and awkward in situations like this. Slowly, he peered from across the book at the mermaid who was slicing a piece of his personally made pancakes. She lifted a square steaming piece but stopped as she spotted Kyungsoo looking at her.

 

"You can sit here you know." She patted to the water beside her and Kyungsoo slowly got up from the bench, crossing his legs as he sat down.

 

"Aren't you putting your feet into the water?" The mermaid stared at him incredulously and Kyungsoo muttered under his breath about how he didn't like sea water, but grudgingly placed his feet in the water, or, more of his entire legs from his knee onwards as he sat at the water's edge.

 

"You don't need to be afraid. I won't harm you."

 

"That's definitely a lie."

 

"Actually, its not." The mermaid said quietly as she went back to eating pancakes, Kyungsoo stunned at her straight forwardness before opening his book to the page where he had stopped. For awhile they sat in silence, the mermaid eating, while he read his book.

 

"What are you reading?"

 

"Err-"

 

"History and Legends of the merpeople?" There was a split second pause before a soft tinkling sound burst from her lips. Hiding behind her hair, it took Kyungsoo a little while before he realised that she was laughing. And at him too!

 

"Hey! Its not funny!" He scowled, snatching the book up and holding the book to his chest like a sulky kid.

 

"You have an actual mermaid and you're actually bothering to read that book? History is easy, you can ask me." The mermaid replied, brushing her hair from her eyes and putting the fork and knife down. Kyungsoo's throat constricted and he hesitated, but the curiosity was too great, and he blurted out the nagging question almost immediately.

 

"What do you eat?" He waited for more mockery, but the mermaid just looked at him thoughtfully before she began patting her tail. Kyungsoo waited patiently, and then wait did her hand just-

 

"Did your hand just enter your tail?!" Kyungsoo choked out in disbelief, eyes bugging out as the mermaid looked down at her hand currently invested in her tail and then at Kyungsoo's bugging wide eyes. A soft giggle escaped her lips before she cocked her head to the side.

 

"You don't have pockets?"

 

"P-Pockets?!" Kyungsoo spluttered and the mermaid laughed even harder as the human in front of her gaped, his mouth hanging open like a goldfish. A very cute goldfish, she thought distractedly and without thinking pushed his jaw upwards, forcing Kyungsoo to blink for awhile at the unexpected touch.

 

"We have pockets and we always keep this for emergencies." Holding them out in her hand, Kyungsoo leaned forward, squinting as he stared down at the weird glowing aqua green shaped, rocks? He didn't even know what it was, he thought, glancing questionably at the mermaid.

 

"Coral biscuits." The mermaid said matter of factly, as if that explained everything.

 

"Coral biscuits?" Kyungsoo said sceptically and the mermaid rolled her eyes, much to his amazement. (I mean who knew mermaids roll their eyes?) Taking the chance that Kyungsoo's mouth was open, the mermaid popped a piece of coral biscuit into his mouth. Gagging, Kyungsoo sent the mermaid an affronted look of one being assaulted before reluctantly swallowing. The flavour was much like crackers, but slightly salty with a little seaweed, and along with that was a tinge of sweetness that bathed his tongue. Without thinking he gave a hum of appreciation, and the mermaid beamed up at him.

 

"But my personal favourite are the rainbow cloud candies." This time, Kyungsoo didn't question the name, considering he just swallowed a coral biscuit, anything was possible at this rate. After rummaging through her tail for a little while longer, the mermaid opens her palm and Kyungsoo peered down at the beautiful twisted candies, sparkling and glittering myriads of colours as the sunlight hit them at an angle. Without hesitation, Kyungsoo popped one into his mouth and he was floating. The taste was sensational, soft and light, fluffy, along with a tinge of saltiness and caramel with sugar.

 

"Wow! How are these even made?" Kyungsoo questioned in amazement, the sweet having tantalized his tastebuds.

 

"Well you see when the light shines through water vapour you get rainbow colours which are passed into cloud candies giving them the colour and taste. Its not easy to make, and I really miss them... I'm down to my last three pieces." The mermaid said wistfully and Kyungsoo felt guilty, thinking about the sweet he had just popped into his mouth without asking. Then, he had a brain wave.

 

"Have you tried ice cream before?"

 

"Ice... Cream?" Judging from her doubtful face, she must have never, kyungsoo thought triumphly before jumping up.

 

"I'll be right back! Don't go anywhere!" He shouted over his shoulder.

 

"Do I look like I can go anywhere?" Was the exasperated reply which only made Kyungsoo laugh harder as he waltzed on light steps to the kitchen.

 

"Rainbow cloud candies! Umma loves those candies!"

 

"I love them too now hush!" Luhan teased and the kids made faces before leaning in to listen somemore.

 

"Hey!" Kyungsoo blurted out as he skidded into the swimming pool, readily sitting down at the edge, a giant bowl with two spoons at his side and a stack of books along with parchment beside him. He had ran into Junmyeon on the way back and Junmyeon had suggested he recorded the information, or even get the mermaid to share or draw. There was the sound of splashing and Kyungsoo grinned as the mermaid leaned on her forearms, staring at him through narrowed eyes.

 

"You were gone for a very long time..."

 

"Obviously, look at this huge bowl! Come on, this will blow your mind!" Kyungsoo said enthusiastically.

 

"Blow your mind?!"

 

"Its a human phrase... It'll be really amazing. As good as rainbow cloud candies I promise." Kyungsoo cajoled as the mermaid stared at him, disturbed. Like he would want to blow her mind, she was too valuable. And funny. Wriggling to the bowl, the mermaid peered in and looked at the contents before looking up at Kyungsoo.

 

"Is it supposed to be so wet?"

 

"Its melting."

 

"Why is it melting?"

 

"Cause its warm so quickly eat it."

 

"But-" Huffing in exasperation, Kyungsoo scooped a spoonful of ice cream and stuffed it into the mermaid's mouth. Shooting him a dismayed disturbed look, Kyungsoo had the smug satisfaction of watching it melt into pure adoration as the mermaid eagerly dug into the bowl for more.

 

"Good right?"

 

"It... Blew my mind?" The mermaid said hesitatingly and Kyungsoo snorted, before leaning in playfully, eyes sparkling.

 

"So you know what we learnt today?"

 

"What?"

 

"Mermaids should always listen to Kyungsoo cause Kyungsoo is always right- Hey!" Kyungsoo spluttered as a jet of water soaked him from head to toe. Glowering at the mermaid, Kyungsoo felt real laughter bubble in his throat as the mermaid giggled, their voices mixing and echoing.

 

"Waaa-"

 

"SHHH." Luhan hissed and the kids groaned but kept quiet as usual, sulking at their grumpy deer for an uncle.

 

"So wait you're telling me-"

 

"If I concentrate really hard and practice I could do a sirens call. But... That's kind of dangerous." The mermaid hesitated and glanced at Kyungsoo who deliberated what to do.

 

"Maybe you could entice me to I don't know, jump head first into the pool? Just stop at the edge alright? This pair of Jeans are new." Kyungsoo said and the mermaid nodded before watching as he got up, nervously walking to the corner of the swimming pool. He looked at the mermaid and watched as opened and-

 

Empty. Nothing, he couldn't hear anything. He was alone. But no, that sound, that sweet sweet call from the sea. He had to go there, it was calling for him, his name, he had to go. Taking a step and another, Kyungsoo gazed blearily into the distance before the music abruptly stopped and he swayed on his knees.

 

"I got you." A soft musical voice whispered into his ear and Kyungsoo allowed his senses to return to normal before he realised the mermaid's arms were wrapped around him and she was sitting at the edge of the pool, her lower bottom half slightly visible. From there he could see the sheen of the scales, glittering with water droplets.

 

"That, was really something." Kyungsoo said shakily and the mermaid gave a nervous smile before with a grin Kyungsoo dunked her back into the pool.

 

"What in the sea?! Kyungsoo!!!" The mermaid wailed, glowering at him. Getting dunked was never fun, even if you were a mermaid, because it still hurt, the water against skin painful. Letting out a fake growl, Kyungsoo gasped as the mermaid took her revenge, dousing him in a fountain of water. Stunned, Kyungsoo gaped for a little longer before his eyes sparkled and vines entwined around his hands and the mermaid gave a squeal of pretend terror.

 

"Its so on."

 

"That's not the best part, I want Luhan ge to be friends with umma too!"

 

"Its the part now shh." Luhan placated, and the kids fell silent again.

 

"Wow that's a lot of information in three days. I mean, rainbow cloud candies, coral biscuits, sirens call, their palace description; this is a lot more useful than all their history books!" Jongdae said in surprise, flipping through all the notes. The pack was lounging in the library, Kyungsoo lazily leaning on an arm chair.

 

"But I wished I could talk to her too. Actually. She sounds nice." Luhan began conversationally and there was shocked silence that cut right through the air. And like an explosion, it happened.

 

"Nice?! Mermaids aren't nice!"

 

"Exactly, they're dangerous, take the siren call for example!"

 

"Then why didn't she harm any of us when she could?"

 

"Maybe all of us would attack her if she tried?"

 

"Or maybe she's genuinely nice and we got off on the wrong start!" Yixing snapped and both Junmyeon and Kris shared a look before they raised their hands and everyone fell silent.

 

"Since Kyungsoo has spent the most time with her, he'll decide. If she's dangerous it not, and hence if we should talk to her." Junmyeon stared and everybody turned their gaze to Kyungsoo who froze. To be honest he had no idea what to do, she was nice but they were both playing nice, stalking time. But somehow, deep in his gut, it didn't feel that way. What did his instincts say? His instincts said nothing, and frustration best down on Kyungsoo before he finally spoke, voice low and careful.

 

"I don't think she's evil. She's dangerous, she is, and so are we. But if you don't threaten her, she shouldn't retaliate. So you could go talk to her. Only, you have one problem." Kyungsoo hesitated.

 

"What is it?" Junmyeon questioned.

 

"A gift for a gift? She won't speak to you."

 

"But umma did she-" both kids shut up as Luhan gave them the evil eye and they meekly apologised, ducking their heads.

 

"Hello?"

 

"Kyung-" At the view if the other pack members, Kyungsoo could see the look in her eyes, the way her defences were rising, her guard coming up. He had to stop that from happening, he couldn't let her shut him out. And secretly, he guess he didn't want to, as he leapt over the boundary, much to the shock of the other members and knelt at the pool's edge, calling out as the mermaid prepared to dive, her arms preparing for it.

 

"Wait!" The mermaid stopped and looked at Kyungsoo, and the other members held their breath as the mermaid turned to Kyungsoo. Luhan watched as the mermaid glanced at them, before swimming over to him and whispering several words to him. Kyungsoo replied back urgently, eyes sincere and desperate. Then Luhan saw it. That look in her eyes, the way she hesitated, and when she looked back at Kyungsoo, Luhan felt a pin drop in his mind. The look of grudging trust and the way Kyungsoo looked at her, could it be? He never got a chance to say his thoughts before the mermaid swan over to them, warily keeping her distance while Kyungsoo rejoined the pack.

 

"Under water you have looked

Far and wide for some mermaid truth

But you will never get what you seek

Until you give me a gift indeed."

 

The mermaid sang in a crystal clear voice and Exo was stunned before Kyungsoo nudged them. Getting the hint, Chen and Baekhyun began to sing, all of then joining in.

 

"Run run lets have some fun

Maybe if we could we could

Go go go and be together

In the sun like this like this like this

Forever forever forever one

 

If we could see the sun

In a brand new light

If we could be together

Don't you think the world

Would would would agree?-"

 

The mermaid suddenly beckoned to Kyungsoo who watched as she pointed at Baekhyun followed by Jongdae, tilting her head to the side, while gesturing at Luhan as well. Kyungsoo gave a soft 'ah' and nodded his head while everyone else stared blankly.

 

"She says Baekhyun Jongdae and Luhan's voice are extremely polished. She wants to know if they practice singing." Kyungsoo translated.

 

"Haha not, not really?" Baekhyun managed out shyly, rubbing his ear before flashing the mermaid his signature awkward smile. The mermaid nodded and without saying anything swam past the others before stopping in front of Sehun Jongin and Tao who hadn't participated in the song and fixed them with an icy stare. They shuffled their feet awkwardly before Jongin cleared his throat.

 

"We can't really sing as well as Baekhyun hyung or even back up vocals like Kris Hyung, but we can dance." The mermaid said nothing and Kyungsoo nudged Yixing,and Chanyeol who both took out their guitars lying on the bench, and played a fast song for the maknaes. The mermaid watched as Jongin and Sehun danced elegantly, years of dance and ballet practice while Tao's wushu gave him the grace of a feline. The song was closing to an end when Jongin and Sehun locked arms and gave Tao the extra push as he flipped above their heads to land on the other side. There was a soft gasp from the mermaid and she gave a sharp squeal, pointing at Tao and jabbing in his direction, smiling and giving him a huge round of applause. Slowly, she backed away and Kyungsoo guessed that she was returning that show of dance to him.

 

He was right. With a dive into the water, the mermaid cartwheeled through the pool and finally did a somersault in the air, tail flexing ad she dived back in before resurfacing. Without hesitation the boys gave a round of applause which the mermaid took with surprising grace.

 

"So you're going to talk to all of us now?" Minseok asked hopefully and the mermaid flashed him a feral grin before mouthing 'maybe'.

 

"Maybe?! Come on, they did well!" Kyungsoo whined and the mermaid laughed before beckoning him over. Once he was at the edge, the mermaid jabbed him in the chest and chittered softly in soft whistles, pointing at him and then at the others before shaking her head. Now that, he didn't understand.

 

"I think she's trying to say... You're special kyungsoo." Luhan suggested as the mermaid stopped, having swam a metre away already. Surprised, everyone glanced at Luhan but ths mermaid laughed, her voice tinkling, looking at Luhan

 

"I like that one!" She said for the first time in her own voice, startling everyone, before she disappeared under the waves.

 

"Special? What, hey come back and explain-!!"

 

"I think it means you're her favourite." Jongdae teased and Kyungsoo flushed as all the members laughed. But not from embarassment, he thought, staring into the water. From pleasure, because he wanted to be her favourite.

 

"Of course appa-"

 

"Quiet!! Or this story will never be finished!" Luhan scolded, glancing at ths clock. Gosh it had already been an hour of story telling and he wasn't even at the centre of the story yet.

 

DONE! Part Two!! Please comment upvote and subscribe <3 Lots of love from author-nim who's struggling in school work LOLOL haha Lots of love! Exo Saranghaja