How the other half lives

Domesticated Aliens

Baekhyun never got that acquainted with Dayna. Most of what he knew came from conversations (and 100% of those conversations went along the lines of “She said that if you can't kill the most innocent purest creature in cold blood in under five minutes than you should leave the military immediately. I don't even think that's legal!”) and Baekhyun wasn't one to believe everything he heard. He never really saw Dayna either; she was always the short figure standing behind or next to her insufferable wife.

 

Baekhyun on the other hand, got too acquainted with Becca. They may have never exchanged names but everywhere Baekhyun went, there was Becca. Towering over everyone (even Chanyeol when he came to visit!) trying to maintain the galaxy's angriest expression on her face while at the same time being really really hot. Baekhyun hated her and he hated the fact that because he hated her everyone assumed he was either jealous of her height or her beauty or both. And he especially hated the fact that late at night he admitted it, it was both.

 

Daehyun never really paid attention to Becca. He had run into her, of course, and Baekhyun talked about her all the time (although to be fair the only things he said were “There was a giant blocking everyone's way when I went to pick up Taehyung from school. The school needs to give her, her own area. When it starts to snow and the snow begins to melt we could have a swimming pool from her footprints.”) but he only saw Becca, standing high above everything and everyone and he never said a word.

 

Daehyun, as a proud member of Mato's military saw more of Dayna than he needed to. Daehyun could never get used to Dayna though. One moment she was talking about ripping people's limbs off one by one and the next she was sharing tips on how to decorate the house with the finger-paint project Taehyung and Taela's class was working on. It wasn't natural and sometimes, when no one was around, Daehyun thought that maybe Dayna was a really kind and sensitive mother that was so serious about keeping Mato safe because she wanted to keep her family safe. The thought only lasted on average two seconds.

 

Baekhyun was in the supermarket heading over to the vegetables. Taehyung and Daehyun were gone, off doing some father-son bonding activity. Baekhyun liked to imagine that they were running together and playing some kind of sport, even though he knew the only physical activity Daehyun enjoyed was moving food from his plate to his mouth.

He was looking at some of the weird native vegetables Mato had when he felt another cart bump into his.

“Honestly, are you blind? How can you miss this cart?” Baekhyun said before looking up. His eyes doubled in size when he saw who had bumped into his cart. “Supreme Commander! How are you?” It was the first time Baekhyun had ever seen the Supreme Commander so close up before and he had to admit. She wasn't that scary-looking.

In fact, she oddly looked sweet. She had to be around Daehyun's height and her was curled at the end and dyed the brightest pink Baekhyun had ever seen, she was smiling and it was so pure and innocent and princess-like and oh my Goddess her necklace was made out of real shurken heads. Baekhyun forced himself to look at her face, her incredibly beautiful face with it's sharp edges and pastel makeup and Baekhyun was so sure that her bracelet was made out of moving eyes.

“I just came here to grocery shop. The wife and daughter are out having fun and so the Mom gets stuck with the boring things.” She laughed and Baekhyun swore it was the most beautiful sound he had ever heard other than Daehyun and Taehyung's voices.

“Same here. Daehyun decided to take Taehyung out to bond and so I decided to catch up on housework.”


“Oh! Are you wearing the T-shirt Taehyung and Taela's class made in honor of Mother's Day?” Dayna asked.

Baekhyun looked down. Yes, he was. It was partially covered up by his sweatshirt but you could see the pink lettering of the Mato words on it. Baekhyun removed his sweatshirt, the supermarket was too hot anyways. “They are very nice shirt, especially the personalization of the back.” Each student had been given free reign to decorate the back of their respective mother's shirt. Taehyung had chosen to decorate it with numbers and dancing flowers and puppies. Baekhyun had to admit, his son had a knack for creativity.

“I just find it so nice that our children are able to put so much effort into us. They might be young but they already show so much respect and kindness. Let me see your back!” Dayna was so enthusiastic about it, Baekhyun couldn't say no. He dutifully turned around and let Dayna stare at the back for five seconds before turning back around.


Dayna clapped and squealed right in the middle of the supermarket and if she couldn't have everyone murdered in there in under a second, people probably would have been making fun of her. “That is adorable! Taehyung is very creative isn't he?”
 

Baekhyun had to admit, it was kind of Dayna to say that. Most tried to hide the fact that they wanted to call Taehyung weird or strange or had to be from Earth who with all his quirks but Dayna genuinely seemed to think Taehyung was creative.

“Me and Daehyun want to try and support him no matter what. What's on your back?”


 

Dayna turned around. Baekhyun stared at the back. The top half, Baekhyun's Mato would forever be shaky, said something about being the galaxy's greatest mom with lots of hearts, the bottom half of the back of the shirt said something about how stabbing someone in the front was easier than stabbing them in the back. Oh.

Dayna turned around and smiled, her absolutely breath-taking, heavenly, those angels found in Earth's religions couldn't compar- were the nails added on to her manicure actual nails from a dead body? “Isn't it nice?

“Very much so.” Baekhyun forced a tight-lipped smile as he and Dayna began to grocery-shop together. Baekhyun had to admit, Dayna was so nice and sweet, if she wasn't so genuine about what she said and did, it would be cloying. Baekhyun decided, he wasn't going to make an attempt at becoming friends with her, but she was pleasant company to know.

Daehyun decided it would be a good idea to take Taehyung out for some father-son bonding. Taehyung and he got along so well (Daehyun wouldn't admit this to Baekhyun, but everyone knew Taehyung preferred Daehyun, even if it was only a little bit more.) and it would be a shame not to spend his day-off not spending time with his son.

He took him to a local playground where there was the best food trucks in all of Mato and after buying them a few ice creams (three for Taehyung, six for Daehyun) and chatting about anything Taehyung's heart desired (which was a lot but Daehyun was learning how to keep up), Daehyun sat on the bench to relax until lunch while Taehyung played.


Daehyun let out a sigh and leaned his head back when he got sight of who he had sat next to. There was no mistaking that this was Becca, one of the 5,728(according to Baekhyun) children of the Head Goddess of Exo and Supreme Commander Dayna's wife. No other woman/person/thing was that tall for all of the known galaxies.

Daehyun didn't know what to do. Should he make eye contact? Talk to her? The last time he had what could be considered a conversation with Becca was when Taehyung was born and Becca pointed out that Daehyun had a big nose.

Becca made the first attempt to talk. “What up, neighbor?” She didn't look at him instead continuing to look ahead at the children on the playground.
 

Daehyun didn't speak at first. With her black jacket despite the heat and bright red combat boots, black sunglasses resting in her hair while taking long drags of her cigarette, Becca didn't look like she was someone's parent. And then there was her beauty. Becca may not be as conventionally pretty as her wife but Daehyun had to admit, the more you looked at Becca, the more beautiful she became. She had such plump lips and rounded features despite the toughness she carried herself with.

“You can't talk?” Becca turned her head and blew smoke from the side of . “I've seen you with your househusband, you can't stop talking. , even I get annoyed from it, thank my Mom that your husband talks as much as you do. Your marriage would be long gone if he didn't.”


Daehyun knew he should have felt offended but there didn't seem to be any ill intent or real malice from Becca's words. She said everything so casually and it even sounded like she was praising he and Baekhyun's compatibility.

“No, I talk. What brings you to the park?” Daehyun turned his head to look at Becca. Wow, now that was a sight to behold. If Daehyun wasn't so embarrassingly in love with Baekhyun and Becca wasn't such a self-declared hardcore lesbian, things would have gotten Jongup-like.

“Decided to take Taela out. I'm the Dad of the family and so I wanted to spend some time with my little girl. She's growing up fast, pretty soon I'm going to be teaching her how to operate a motorcycle and sneak in beer to her room without Dayna noticing.”


Daehyun laughed. It seemed so out of place for someone with a face like Becca's to be saying that. “You sure have an interesting way of being a Dad.”

 

Becca gave a low chuckle and smiled. “You're right. Probably because most people would say that I'm a Mom. But what about you? What do you want to teach your son?”


“I don't know. I don't have anything I want to teach him. I just want him to be himself and be happy. He looks up a lot to me so I hope that whatever I do, if it's good he does it exactly and if it's bad he realizes the mistakes that I didn't.” Daehyun said. None of the other guys had kids and he had to admit even though he loved Himchan and Yongguk and Jongup, it was nice talking about being a Dad to someone who could relate. And Becca, was so interesting, hearing the things she said coming out of such a pretty face. She was like the anti-Dayna.


 

“That sounds like a pretty good parenting motto. What do you think about the fact that we might be in-laws one day?” Becca stomped out her cigarette before she immediately put another one in. “Taela seems to have taken a liking to your Taehyung.”
 

If Baekhyun was here right now, he would be dead. Daehyun could only imagine his face imaging Becca at family reunions.”They're young aren't they? Taehyung really likes Taela. She's the first thing he talks about when I ask him how his day went.”

“Same here, Taela says he's 'funny', and let me tell you Taela has always been a serious child. Funny isn't a term that she uses lightly.” Becca explained. She reached into her purse and pulled out a small plastic bag filled with tiny multi-coloured seeds. She stretched out her hand to offer the bag to Daehyun. “Do you want some? They're these seeds from this planet near Mercury Dayna went on recon mission to find out why Earthlings haven't been able to spot it yet. They are very good and are supposed to curb your appetite.”

“Why would anyone want to stop eating?” Daehyun was downright horrified.


“Meet Dayna. Anything that she discovers that is deemed healthy and good for the family she buys it. I try telling her that I need to eat protein to exercise and that Taela needs to build up her muscles but she doesn't listen.”

Taela and Taehyung were still in kindergarten and Dayna and Becca were building up her muscles. What had he and Baekhyun build up for Taehyung? There was at that one time when they got called by his teacher who discovered that Taehyung was either going to be the greatest genius of his time or spend his life being seen as very very weird. Daehyun figured that either of them would be OK. Jongup was supposed to have the same fate and look at where Jongup was now. One of the highest ranks in the military and had every heteroual and biual female at his beck and call.


 

“So, all of that workout gear is yours then?”


 

Becca blew out a circle of smoke and laughed. “ no. Dayna is the one who works out like a machine and keeps buying knives like they're going extinct. I mostly like to do some light workouts, run on the treadmill a little bit. I have asthma so I need to watch myself. Dayna, on the other hand went to Earth just so she could throw around eighteen wheeler trucks for fun.”


 

“You have asthma?” Daehyun was shocked. Becca seemed to strong to have a weakness or a fault. She looked like she was built for immortality.


“Yeah. One of the many things Dayna likes to go completely crazy over. I swear she is so over protective about everything.”

“You have asthma and you smoke?” Daehyun wondered if Becca was really this evil goddess-like creature Baekhyun thought and in all actuality a pretty decent person with some weird habits.

“Don't tell Dayna that I do. I've been smoking long before I met her and I'm fine. My mom's the Head Goddess of Exo. I'm pretty sure I'm some type of weird goddess thing too. A cigarette and beer isn't going to kill me.” Becca shrugged, the way her shoulders seemed as light as feathers and every movement of hers was a fluid danc- Becca yawned and it sounded like the caricature of a drunken male. “Sorry about that.”

“It's not a problem.” Himchan's yawn was much worse.

“You know, your husband might be a pain in the but you're alright.” Becca said.


Daehyun agreed. Dayna might be Mato's scariest resident but Becca had the potential to become a 'dad' friend.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This chapter is longer than usual, I didn't even realize how long it was until it was over. Eeep! I hope you guys don't mind and enjoyed the more unusual "pairings" (for lack of better word) in this chapter

<3 Smooches <3