Friends and Foes

Mission: Kill The Prince
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Shin Hye changed her black top for a white polo shirt and let her hair loose. She left the fire exit and made her way inside the main building. Discreetly, she nudged her duffel bag under one of the tables in the hotel cafe before making her way to the lobby where the rest of the frantic guests were. And as if it wasn't already noisy enough, sirens blasted when police cars swarmed within seconds and stopped in front of the hotel.

She stood by the empty concierge booth and watched as several gunned men entered the premises. People seemed to have gone even more hysterical upon their arrival. It was easy to blend in the crowd; she just needed to be patient. All entrances and exits will have patrol guards by now. She can’t be too impulsive.

Shin Hye was observing the cops’ behavior and wondering when she could make her exit when she felt someone bump into her. She whirled to her left in time to see a young woman with a scowl on her face. Shin Hye looked at her blankly, expecting an apology. But there was none. Rather, she gave Shin Hye an annoyed look. “Excuse you,” the woman spat.

Shin Hye was too stunned to speak. How rude. She balled her fists and resisted the urge to punch the woman in the face. If this woman only knew that she was hiding a knife inside her pants, she would be on her knees by now, begging for forgiveness. 

“Let’s hide down there,” the man behind her instructed. And like some switch was , the woman’s expression changed from raging to damsel in distress.

“Oppa, I’m scared,” she told him, her voice sensual and pleading. Shin Hye rolled her eyes and scoffed, finding her whole act absurd and embarrassing for womankind everywhere. As much as she hated men who treated women like possessions, she didn’t like women who acted so weak and defenseless either.

“Don’t worry about it. Just keep your head low,” the man replied.

Shin Hye couldn’t take it anymore and marched away from the booth.

“,” she muttered under her breath. The lobby suddenly got louder. The cops blocked the entrance and were keeping people from leaving the building. Her hidden duffel bag. If the cops find that, she’s dead. She turned around to head back to the cafe but bumped into someone again. The thought that it was that fake again made her curse out loud. So she'll punch a woman. It wouldn't be the first time.

“I’m sorry, are you okay?” A man’s voice.

When Shin Hye lifted her face, she was suddenly face-to-face with someone who looked a lot like a boy she once knew. Her eyebrows creased and her jaw dropped slightly.

The man kept looking at her silently, and Shin Hye was still too dumbstruck to say anything. Slowly, recognition flashed in his eyes. “Shin Hye? Park Shin Hye?”

She nodded her head absently. It's him. How long has it been? Seven years? Eight? She couldn’t believe it. She rarely saw anyone from her old life. Aside from Shi Yoon, she didn't retain contact with any of her friends. She has long forgotten that life. But she suddenly remembered the last time she saw him. His high school graduation, right before he went to the army. It was a memory from a lifetime ago.

But it wasn't just that. He grew up. She doesn’t remember him being a… man. But she was sure. Those piercing eyes, the lips that were always set in a tight line. It was that boy.

“It’s me. Kim Soo Hyun."

“S—sunbae,” she whispered. “What… what are you doing here?”

And just like that, as if he snapped out of a trance, he tore his eyes away from her and looked around his surroundings. It was only then that Shin Hye noticed he was holding a gun. Her heart stopped momentarily as the realization dawned on her. . .

One of the cops ran up to him. “Sir. Twenty-third floor!”

He nodded his head and turned to Shin Hye. “I’m really sorry, I can’t talk right now,” he said hurriedly and ran away. Shin Hye was planted on that spot, in a daze. He was already a considerable distance away when he turned around, but continued walking backwards. “Shin Hye! Stay, okay? I’ll talk to you later, just… stay right there!”

Shin Hye followed him with her eyes. Together with more men, he stepped into the elevator. Shin Hye was sure he gave her a smile right before the doors closed. She shut her eyes and willed herself to snap out of it. She would have to deal with that unexpected bomb later. For now, she shouldn't get caught. Shin Hye sprinted to the cafe and inconspicuously felt for her bag under the table using her feet. She picked it up and plunged into the crowd once more.

I need to get out of here. She spotted an affluent-looking couple by the doors talking to a few other guests. She casually slid beside them.

“They can’t keep us in here,” Shin Hye said, making sure everyone in the group heard. “This is clearly a violation of our rights.”

“Exactly. Who knows what kind of lunatic is up there?” A man said.

“We’re in danger. They can’t keep us locked in if they can’t assure us we’ll be safe,” Shin Hye added. “I don’t know about you but I think it’s safer out of this hotel than in it.”

Everyone agreed and nodded. The affluent-looking man approached one of the cops and started talking to him. Some of the others in the group joined in and soon, the cops were surrounded by angry guests demanding they be let out. Even the hotel staff started persuading the cops to let them go. "Do we look like killers?" "Let us out right now!" More and more people started yelling. Shin Hye stepped back and bit her lip. She had to be out of there before Soo Hyun comes back.

Eventually, the guests won and started exiting the lobby one by one. Shin Hye easily snuck into the multitude and stepped out of the hotel. She felt relief wash over her. She continued walking with the rest of the guests and fumbled for her phone inside the bag.

Barely one ring and Shi Yoon answered promptly.

“Where are you?”

“Just got out. I think we’re good.”

“That's a relief. Be here as fast as you can. Don’t be too complacent. We don’t want things to get complicated,” he warned.

Shin drew out a sigh. “The thing is... there’s already one minor complication. And before you say anything, no, it wasn't my fault.”

 

“I’m sorry, who did you say was there?”

Shin Hye dropped the duffel bag on the floor as soon as they arrived home. She ran a hand through her hair and sank on the couch. “Kim Soo Hyun sunbae,” she replied, massaging her temples.

Shi Yoon crossed his arms. “Kim Soo Hyun. The guy you were in love with all throughout high school?.”

Shin Hye threw one of her gloves at him and frowned. “I was not in love with him.”

He chuckled. “Sure, you weren’t. You just spent every day after school in that dojo with him because you had nothing better to do with your time.”

“I was in the Taekwondo Club and he was my sunbae. Of course I’d have to go to training!”

Shi Yoon scoffed. “Oh come on, you went there for eye candy and you know it!”

Shin Hye closed her eyes and let out a grunt. “I think you’re missing the point of this whole thing. He’s a cop now, and he’s looking for me,” Shin Hye paused when she noticed Shi Yoon narrow his eyes suspiciously. “Well, not me per se, I mean he’s looking for that ’s killer.”

“Well, he’s not gonna find you. So it’s not really a problem, is it?”

“But he saw me in that hotel. He recognized me,” Shin Hye replied, feeling agitated that Shi Yoon was so calm about it.

“As long as he didn’t see you holding a gun, then I don’t see why this is going to be a problem. We just have to avoid him. And since you’re not exactly an outdoors person, I think we’re in the clear.”

She shook her head. “If I’m in any of the security camera footages, I’m done for. Kim Soo Hyun knows my build and height. Are you sure you were able to kill the cameras at least?”

Shi Yoon frowned, looking offended. “Of course I killed the cameras and replaced them with pre-recorded feeds. I’m not some amateur, Shin Hye. There’s a reason why the police has never even seen a silhouette of you. That’s because I know what I’m doing. So stop obsessing over Kim Soo Hyun! He’s just another cop.”

Shin Hye let out a frustrated sigh and stood up from the couch. She strode to the kitchen and angrily opened the fridge to get some water. When she turned around, she was startled to see Shi Yoon standing so close. He had his hand on his chin and was eyeing her curiously.

“You’re still worried… Why? Are you scared that the cops might catch us or that your first love will find out you’re a criminal?” His lips curled up into a sly smile.

“HE IS NOT MY…” Shin Hye clucked her tongue and pushed him aside. “You know what, fine. I won’t worry about it. Just make sure he doesn’t find me… I mean us again.” She gulped her drink down and marched off to her room. She wasn’t fast enough because Shi Yoon blocked her way.

“How did you feel seeing him again? Were there sparks?” He teased.

“The only sparks I’ll feel is when I finally kill you. Bikyeo!”

Shi Yoon was relentless and followed her inside her room. “Shin Hye.”

“WHAT?” She turned around, enraged. It’s been a long night and she refuses to put up with any more of Shi Yoon’s humor.

But Shi Yoon was looking gloomy and serious. “Are you sure you’re okay?”

Shin Hye looked down and started removing her socks. “A few bruises, but I’ll manage.”

“I wasn’t talking about that.”

Shin Hye stopped to look up at Shi Yoon’s worried face. She appreciated his concern, but whatever issues she was having with her job, she’d rather keep to herself.

“I’m not the one who’s lying in a pool of blood right now so I’m sure I’m okay. I’m always okay. Now, will you please get out of my room? I’m exhausted. I’m sure you are, too.”

Shi Yoon slumped his shoulders and nodded. “Okay. I’ll find out what I can about Kim Soo Hyun and make sure he won’t be a problem for us in the future.”

She smiled faintly. “Thank you, Shi Yoon-ah.”

“Rest well,” he added before closing the door.

As soon as Shi Yoon was gone, Shin Hye stripped off all her clothes and marched into the bathroom. Without hesitation, she turned the knob for the shower and went under. She closed her eyes and let the water splash on her face. As she cleansed her body of all of the events of that night, images from the hotel flashed in her mind. The fear in that woman’s face. The way Mr. Shin’s voice trembled as he begged for his life. Her finger on the trigger. The old man’s lifeless body on the floor. Her jaw clenched at the scenes she will never be able to unsee, and the events that can never be undone.

She banged her fist on the bathroom tiles as she pushed the thoughts away and flooded her mind with all the case files she read about Mr. Shin’s crimes. The drug ring that took the hopes and dreams of countless people, including kids and teenagers. All the people considered liabilities to his business that he had murdered. And those poor children who were forced to be drug mules. Life had already been unfair to them from the start. But they were young – they had a chance to change their fate. But they’ll never be able to now. Because that son of a took their future away. Shin Hye opened her eyes, her head clearer. She recited the words she always believed to be true, otherwise, she would not have taken this job.

“He deserved to die.”

 

Min Ho woke up when he heard the doors of his room being flung open. There were voices, too, but he was too groggy to make sense of anything being said. He gave it a minute before he decided to respond to the sudden intrusion. He squinted his eyes and the first thing he saw was his grandfather’s furious face. There were roughly five other people behind him, but he couldn’t care less who they were. All he knew was if the old man went to the trouble of waking him up himself, then he must be in deep .

He reluctantly sat up. “Chairman Lee. It’s Sunday. What is it?”

His grandfather lifted his right hand and Min Ho noticed he was clutching a newspaper. He blinked in confusion. Surely he wasn’t going to let him read the business section again? The last time he did, Min Ho fell asleep on the breakfast table.

“You know you can read news from the internet, right?” Min Ho drawled, still half-asleep. He was about to stretch his arms when he felt a slap on his face. His grandfather had thrown the newspaper at him. Hard. When the papers fell onto his lap, he scowled. “What the hell?! HARABOJI!”

“Sir, please check the headline,” Secretary Han instructed. Min Ho eyed her curiously, wondering why she was there. She worked for him, not for Chairman Lee. And he didn’t appreciate the fact that she was standing behind his grandfather like some pawn.

Min Ho was already massively annoyed, but he did as he was told. As soon as he read it, his eyes widened. “Wh—what’s this?”

The old man gritted his teeth and tightened his hold on the walking stick. “You worthless piece of ! Somebody gets shot in that hotel and it’s you who still makes the headline? WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO STOP ACTING LIKE AN IDIOT?”

“Haraboji…”

“Secretary Han, read the article,” Chairman Lee closed his eyes and took a deep breath, as if to calm himself down.

“Haraboji, I can expla—“

“You keep your mouth shut! You’ve lost your right to talk!”

Min Ho slumped his shoulders in defeat. Secretary Han walked to Min Ho's bed and took the newspaper. She cleared as she stood over his bed. “WG Group’s Lee Min Ho spotted at Hyatt Lobby with Actress Moon Ha Rim at the night of alleged druglord Shin Chun Dong's Murder. As reported, gunshots were heard from the 23rd floor not long after electricity was cut off in the entire building. Hotel guests flocked to the lobby and a photo of WG Group’s heir whose arm was around the visibly shaken ‘Love Around The Corner’ actress was taken. Speculations surfaced that the two have been dating secretly for an unknown period of time. Some eyewitnesses claim that the two were seen earlier at a club acting like lovers before they were spotted at said hotel. Both WG Group and Clover Entertainment have yet to confirm or deny

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter