Chase

Mission: Kill The Prince
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

LUXURY CAR IN RUINS AFTER ACCIDENT AT MYUNGDAE CLIFF, NO BODIES FOUND

 

WRECKED FERRARI CONFIRMED TO BE OWNED BY WANG GWAN’S LEE MIN HO

 

WANG GWAN KEEPS SILENT AS SPECULATIONS ARISE REGARDING HEIR’S ACCIDENT

 

LEE KUN HEE’S GRANDSON PRESUMED DEAD, BODY STILL MISSING

 

TRACES OF ALCOHOL FOUND IN LEE MIN HO’S FERRARI REMAINS. POLICE INVESTIGATES POSSIBILITY OF DUI

 

CHAEBOL LEE MIN HO STILL MISSING, WANG GWAN IN A STATE OF PANIC

 

HUNDREDS DEPLOYED TO SEARCH FOR WANG GWAN’S LEE MIN HO

 

CHAIRMAN LEE KUN HEE REPORTED TO HAVE COLLAPSED, ADMITTED IN WANG GWAN HOSPITAL

 

WANG GWAN IN TURMOIL: HEIR’S UNKNOWN STATE AND CHAIRMAN LEE’S RUMORED FAILING HEALTH RESULTS IN HAZY FUTURE FOR THE MASSIVE CONGLOMERATE

 

 

[Days earlier]

The red car screeched to a stop a good meter in front of Shin Hye. Without flinching, she just stood there, her feet firmly planted on the ground, hands on her waist. She had on a murderous glare that she only reserved for special occasions. This one was definitely one of them.

Min Ho sat behind the wheel, unmoving. The sunglasses he wore masked his expression and added an air of haughtiness that fit perfectly with his visual. Shin Hye couldn’t tell what he was thinking, but she had an inkling that Lee Min Ho was going to act like a hard if he had the gall to follow them. She heaved a sigh and lifted a hand, her fingers calling out to him. It was a gesture for Min Ho to come out of his car so she can knock some sense into his brain. But instead of coming out, he shook his head faintly, a smile playing at the side of his lips.

The crease on her forehead deepened at his defiance. This brat. “I know now how much you hate guns and I’m not going to hesitate to pull one out if you don’t get off of this freaking car,” she demanded through gritted teeth. “1… 2…”

Min Ho continued to sit there, just staring up at her. Shin Hye stopped counting and scoffed. “This is how you really want it, huh, chaebol?!”

She brought one arm to her back, ready to seize the pistol tucked into her jeans. Min Ho must have called her bluff because before she can even touch the cool metal, she heard the click of Min Ho’s car door opening. She put her free hand back on her waist.

Min Ho stepped out of his car and slammed the door. He furiously removed his sunglasses and gave Shin Hye a cold stare. She didn’t budge and continued glaring at him, watching as he took a few steps forward. For a moment there, it looked like he was going to march right up to her, but he stopped midway and hit the hood of his car with both palms before resting them there. For a few silent seconds, he hung his head low. Shin Hye waited. She needed to see his face before she drill some sense into this head. Min Ho finally faced her after a while.

“Do you think this is funny?” Shin Hye broke the silence between them, not in the least amused by his behavior. “I told you to stay back!”

Min Ho’s expression darkened. The mischievous glint in his eyes all morning was now gone, replaced by what Shin Hye could only assume was pure frustration. He huffed and ran a hand through his hair. “This is not a joke to me,” he retorted defensively. “Let me prove to you that I could be of some use!”

Shin Hye shut her eyes, begging for patience. Clearly he didn’t understand the risk it entailed to tag along the likes of her and Shi Yoon. “You don’t need to prove anything!” Shin Hye snapped back. “You need to be safe. That’s it. You came to us for protection so let us protect you!”

Min Ho bit his lower lip furiously. His balled fists throbbed and his gritted teeth defined his jaw even more. Shin Hye could tell he was restraining himself. He took another step closer, his eyes slicing into hers.

“I refuse to be a victim!” He growled, letting out the rage that built up inside of him. “If I wanted to be weak, I’d be with the cops right now – letting them do all the work for me! I’d take cover in my Grandfather’s shadow, use his money and wait for the dominoes to fall. But I am sick and tired of sitting down and doing nothing!” His voice roared on the empty road. Even outdoors, it almost seemed like his words echoed in their surroundings. Shin Hye dug her nails into her waist as she listened to him, ignoring the pain she was causing herself.

“That’s all I’ve done ever since I was a child,” Min Ho’s voice tempered to a pleading whisper. “All I ever did was wait for the world to hand me things – things I didn’t earn, things I didn’t deserve. This time, I’m not going to do that. This is MY life. The reason why I came with you is because I want to fight back! Protection?” He stared at her incredulously. “I don’t want your protection! I want to be able to protect myself! BUT YOU HAVE TO ING LET ME!”

Shin Hye was stunned at the intensity of Min Ho’s glare, and the conviction in his voice. This was no act; she knew he meant every word he said. His gaze was firm and resolute as he let out the most sincere words to come out of his mouth since they met.

And at that moment she finally realized why she couldn’t stand him. Because ever since she’s known Lee Min Ho, she’s been wavering. She was once one of the most feared assassins because she did her jobs clean – without strings, without emotions. She never doubted herself or her actions. She stood her ground in everything. Not even Shi Yoon could get to her.

And yet all she’s ever done since she’s been entangled in Lee Min Ho’s life was second-guess herself.

At the night of Ahn Jae Hyun’s engagement, she was three seconds away from pulling the trigger. And yet she couldn’t do it. She never changed her mind about kills – yet somehow, something about him made her. That same night, he claimed to have manipulated her mind and her emotions into empathizing with him, the very reason why she couldn’t kill him. She knew he could be lying, but the simple possibility of it being true haunted her. She thought she was going to explode from the anger.

Mind games were nothing in her line of work, and yet the chaebol was able to get under her skin so easily. She has never lost her composure like that.

And here he was again, being stubborn and downright foolish.

She's an assassin. Even with her injuries, she could take on ten goons and still come out unscathed. Shi Yoon? He may not be a fighter, but all these years, not one soul has been able to touch him because of his mastery over technology.

But this guy, this entitled, privileged, sheltered arrogantly preaches of protecting himself, without the slightest regard for his safety. He didn’t know how to fight – heck, he probably hasn’t even come across real scum criminals before. Not to mention, he cowered in front of guns, of blood. She should be laughing, and telling him to get his whiny back into his car and drive back.

But she couldn’t. Staring into his determined eyes, she found herself softening. The only impulse she felt at this moment was to step aside and let him be. What the is wrong with me?

Shin Hye turned around and let out a frustrated howl. She didn’t like this one bit. Running a palm over her face, she caught a glimpse of Shi Yoon who had come out of the car. He raised his brows and nodded. It was as if he knew that Shin Hye was thinking of letting Min Ho come with them. She shook her head, silently disagreeing with him and herself one last time. But she knew all efforts were futile.

She looked over her shoulder and saw Lee Min Ho gawking at them expectantly, waiting for their answer. I’m going to regret this. I’m going to ing regret this. She faced him and pressed her lips together. “Shi Yoon, go to Son Ah Young’s and find out whatever you can. I’ll come with this idiot and try not to get him killed,” she instructed out loud.

Shi Yoon chuckled to himself while Min Ho’s eyes softened. Shin Hye couldn’t help but scowl when she noticed him suppressing a smile.

“Don’t celebrate yet, chaebol. You could very well be dead before this day ends,” she warned, climbing into the Ferrari.

Min Ho followed her inside, settling behind the driving wheel. He leaned back, regaining his composure after that fit. “Thanks for being so optimistic,” he muttered under his breath sarcastically and started the car.

“This is still a stupid idea,” she huffed, turning away. She was afraid that if she saw Min Ho’s face right now, she wouldn’t be able to stop herself from giving him a slap. She was furious at him, but more so at herself for losing ground. This is the last time, she told herself. The last time I’m going to let this chaebol get to me.

 

 

The room was abuzz with hushed conversations, along with expressions that ranged from curiosity to rage. Chae Ah stood behind the Managing Director’s empty chair, not oblivious to the several narrowed glances thrown her way by the men and women convened in the room. These were leaders of the country’s most powerful conglomerate – all cunning, cold-blooded businessmen who have mastered the language of money and power. All of them created in the image of their King.

This was no ordinary meeting, Chae Ah can feel it. But no one in this room knew why they have been called. Chae Ah had no idea what this meeting was about, but she had a feeling that whatever agenda the Chairman had in store definitely has something to do with his one and only heir. Everyone in attendance must have arrived at the same conclusion because the tension was undeniable; and Chae Ah knew this was heightened by the absence of Lee Min Ho.

News travels fast in the business world, and yet Wang Gwan was immune to this, thanks to the immense power of its patriarch. However inside Wang Gwan, it was no secret that the heir to Chairman Lee’s empire wanted nothing to do with the company, and has gone out of his way on more than one occasion to make everybody know.

Chae Ah tightened her grip on the folders in her hands. Just the thought of that spoiled brat wasting the company away was enough to get a rise out of her. Wait until I get my hands on you.

The wooden doors opened, and in a flash, all conversations were halted. Chairman Lee Kun Hee strolled in, exuding his usual air of affluence and authority. Trailing him was his Head Secretary and his Chief Legal Counsel who, as far as Chae Ah knew, have been in a closed-door meeting with him all morning. At this point, everyone was up on their feet, their heads bowed in reverence to the big boss. Chae Ah did the same, but not without contempt. Every day she loathed having to bow to this man, and yet she could never get used to it. One day, I’ll never have to bow to you again.

The old man walked to his spot at the head of the oval. All eyes were on him as the others settled down on their seats. Only Chae Ah remained standing, but she took a few steps back, further to the wall. Her job has always been to remain invisible.

“Thank you for coming on such short notice,” Chairman Lee spoke, commanding everyone’s attention. “I assure you that I will not hold you from your work longer than necessary.”

Chae Ah looked around the room and studied the faces of all the executives. Apart from the two men who came with the Chairman, every single one of them had guarded yet curious expressions. No one knows what this is about.

“My Father, Lee Byung Chul, upon his death, transferred controlling interest of Wang Gwan to me when I was 45 years old,” Chairman Lee continued. “Ten years ago, a year before I was set to transfer the same rights to my only son on his 45th birthday – he was taken away from us by a tragic accident.” He paused, allowing the people there to comprehend where he was going with this.

Chae Ah’s heartbeat quickened. Chairman Lee was far from finished, but she knew why he had called this meeting. She balled her fists and hid them at her back, afraid that she might not be able to resist the urge to hit something.

“I am seventy-five years old. I have lived my whole life in service to this company. While I have been able to achieve a feat that very few people in history can match, I am only human. I cannot cheat death, nor can I prolong my existence,” he glanced at his Legal Counsel who immediately handed him the folder that he had been holding this whole time.

Chairman Lee opened the folder and laid it down on the table in front of him, before addressing the room again. “My grandson, Lee Min Ho, is the only living descendant I have left. While many of you have expressed concerns regarding his ability to run this company, I, on the other hand, never had any doubts. The blood of my Father, founder of Wang Gwan, runs in his veins. He will continue the legacy of the Lee family by leading Wang Gwan to greater heights.HJHe”

Chae Ah could feel her blood boil at his every word. She clenched her jaw and willed herself to stay calm. She has been dreading this moment. She knew that Chairman Lee had every intention of officially proclaiming Lee Min Ho his heir, but she didn’t know that it would be this early. Why? What is Chairman Lee planning now?

The old man looked down at the document in front of him. “On August 28 – in honor of my son, Lee Jae Yong’s birthday, I, Chairman Lee Kun Hee, shall transfer all shares under my name to my only grandson, Lee Min Ho, on top of the shares he already owns, granting him the controlling interest of Wang Gwan Corporation and all WG subsidiaries.”

The quiet room erupted as the executives hurled their dissent and loudly chattered their opposition amongst each other, while a number got up from their seats in disbelief. Chae Ah was holding her breath at Chairman Lee’s last statement. Taking advantage of the noise in the conference room, she exhaled loudly and mumbled curses under her breath. I can’t believe it. I can’t ing believe it.

Chairman Lee kept silent, just observing everyone go berserk.

“Chairman Lee, with all due respect, I think you’re making a mistake!” Vice Chairman Jang stood up, looking like he just aged 10 years. “We’re all prepared for Director Lee to one day take the leadership of Wang Gwan, but this is too soon. He’s just a child!”

Chairman Lee’s expression darkened. “Vice Chairman Jang, I know you were expecting the Chairmanship while you wait for my grandson to come of age. With all due respect, too, I don’t trust you or anyone else in this room. By the time Director Lee is forty-five, I’ll have been dead for years. I refuse to leave this world without assuring my grandson’s position in this company.”

“But Chairman…”

“Leave your personal ambitions out of this, Jang Joon Gyu,” Chairman Lee declared coldly, his eyes piercing into the man. That shut Vice-Chairman Jang up, but no sooner did a woman stand to take his place. Chief Financial Officer Ha.

“Chairman, I can’t agree to this for the sole reason that your grandson has never taken his position seriously. To me, this is not a matter of age! Had he shown the slightest interest in running Wang Gwan, we would happily support his ascent to leadership even if he’s just twenty-eight. But he clearly wants nothing to do with this company.”

There were words and nods of agreement from everyone else in the room. Chairman Lee remained composed, pursing his lips as if considering CFO Ha’s insight.

“Director Lee has a lot to learn, especially from people like yourselves. I am not unaware of his attitude towards being the heir to Wang Gwan. But I have never doubted that he shall rise to the occasion when the decisive moment comes,” he stood up from his seat, now towering over everyone else. “No one looks out for this company as much as I do. I implore you to trust in your Chairman. Trust in the legacy of the Lee family.”

The looks of disappointment and hesitation were still etched in their faces, but they fell silent. No one dared challenge Lee Kun Hee once he’s made up his mind. They can try, but they knew their limits.

“One month. One month for Director Lee to prove himself. He is spearheading a project that shall expand Wang Gwan’s influence in the western world. I can guarantee its success as early as now, by that time, you will all accept that no one else deserves this company more than my grandson, Lee Min Ho.”

Chae Ah followed Chairman Lee with her eyes as he exited the conference room, leaving everyone in a state of frenzy. His last words still rang in her ears. ‘…no one else deserves this company more than Lee Min Ho’. She scoffed inwardly, feeling her anger being fueled more and more. Lee Min Ho has gotten everything, but he deserves nothing. NOTHING.

Exiting the conference room, she walked briskly to her office, feeling more and more furious. Once she was inside, she whipped out her phone and dialed his number frantically.

“Wae?” The icy reply couldn’t have come at a worse time. In her state, she could bite off and chew someone’s head out.

“We need to eliminate him now. Chairman Lee is in a rush to hand over the company to Min Ho. He has to die now before the shares are transferred!”

“I told you, we’re on it. How many times do I have to tell you that?!”

Chae Ah didn’t appreciate his tone. If there was anyone who had the right to be mad, it was her. “Don’t you dare take your failure out on me! This is all your fault. If you hadn’t brought in that , we wouldn’t be in this position!”

“You’ve made that clear more than once, sweetheart,” he replied menacingly. But she could tell he was enraged. He never liked to be reminded of his faults. “I told you, we’ll get him if I have to kill him myself.”

Chae Ah let out a sigh, hoping that these weren’t empty words again. “Good. Because I will not have that idiot of a man take what is rightfully mine.”

 

 

Shi Yoon was surprised that the cops were no longer at Son Ah Young’s apartment. That could only mean one thing: that th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter