Chapter 3

Work in the Big Apple

 Morning came and they both woke with a jolt since the phone started ringing. They looked over at the clock : 9AM.

 

Chansung grabbed the phone since it was his room. “Yeobo... huh... hello?” he corrected himself when he remembered where they were. He heard his boss chuckling on the other side of the line.

 

“Good morning to you too Channie. Would Minjun be with you? He does not answer in his room.” Upon hearing a soft “hum”, he continued. “I just wanted to let you guys know that I've hired two guys to accompany you around. They'll be waiting at the reception at 10 sharp. Please be ready?”

 

“Alright hyung, have a good day. Can't wait to challenge the kids tomorrow!”

 

Jinyoung chuckled again, and wished them a good day too before hanging up to go to the auditions on his side.

 

Chansung informed Minjun about their deadline, which got the older rolling out of bed and going to his own room to clean up. They told each other to meet up in front of the elevator in 20 minutes to go grab breakfast before starting their day.

 

A quick shower later, and light make-up for the older, they were both on their way down. Chansung was starving as usual and almost drooling at the thought of food. Arrived at the hotel's restaurant, since they did not feel like the classic egg-bacon-toasts, they ordered cinnamon French toasts after debating between that, pancakes, waffles, croissants and cereal. Adding to their plate an insane amount of fruits and whipping cream, they were satisfied with their breakfast. They did feel guilty about their diets, but they were about to walk most of the day, and that thought made they feel a little better about it.

 

They finished eating and drinking their coffees five minutes before ten, and walked in the main lobby to meet with their city guides. The men were easy to spot: as tall as Chansung and as muscled as Kim Jong Gook -if not more-, with tailored suits, overcoats and ear pieces that made people think “bodyguards” at first sight. The two boys walked to them and shook hands with the guards, introducing themselves.

 

The guards names were common: Kevin and Eric. Even Chansung could pronounce their names, even though it tended to sound more like Kebin than the “v”, but it was acceptable as his English is good enough to be able to communicate. Outside the hotel, a black Dodge Durango with tainted back windows was waiting for them, so they quickly climbed in to start their day of shopping further in the depth of the city.

 

A lot of boutiques were visited, Minjun bought a lot, especially hats and jewelry, but he found some interesting shirts he really liked also. Chansung was not a shopping addict like his hyung, but still bought a few pieces here and there, telling himself he'll need to donate or throw away some of his long-forgotten clothes back home, since he knew his closet and dressers were full.

 

Around two, the four of them stopped at a little café near Central Park, and Minjun offered to pay for the four of them, feeling generous and famished after so much shopping. After a light snack of sandwiches for everyone, and americanos to accompany their lunch, they decided to go sight-seeing a little. Central Park, the Statue of Liberty and Madame Tussaud's wax museum were three of the notorious attractions they visited. Tired, all sat at Starbucks for another coffee (was there anything better than that beverage to fight jet lag?). They were chatting with the guards once again, getting on the subject of sports.

 

“Oh yeah, Kev, will you watch the Knicks against the Grizzlies tonight?” asked Eric, turning to his colleague and friend.

 

“It is tonight, heh? I'll ask my wife to record it I guess.” answered Kevin, taking his Android phone to text his wife while he's thinking about it.

 

“Knicks, is it basketball team?” asked Chansung, who liked this sport even though he was more or less knowledgeable about the American teams.

 

“Yeah, they're my team. I mean, I live in Manhattan, so yeah.” answered Eric, a little surprised that a foreign guy would know a little about the NBA.

 

“I love basketball, it would nice go there.” Yes, Chansung knew his English to be flimsy, but he tried his best.

 

Minjun motioned to Kevin's phone. “Can I borrow this? I would like to check if tickets are still available.” he explained.

 

Kevin opened his ticketmaster app and quickly found tonight's game before handing it over so Minjun could check the seats. Good seats were available but Minjun did not want to order their tickets through the other guy's phone. The tickets were expensive also, and he didn't think he could afford paying for the guards also. He handed the phone back, unsure of how he could ask.

 

Chansung was looking at his hyung expectantly. Jun did not want to deceive his maknae, but he really could not afford four tickets since the cheapest started at 69$ plus fees, which represented roughly 76000 won if he was correct. And since he wanted better seats for the younger, they were between 200 and 500US for an evening out. 500US was around, he calculated, 550500 won, which was half a million. Yes, they had money now, but there was a limit to paying over a million for the both of them for a three-hours long match!

 

“I-I'm sorry Channie, I don't think I can afford good seats. The prices are crazy.” he told him in Korean.

 

“Aw don't worry hyung, we can still watch the match on TV at the hotel”, conceded a slightly bummed maknae, but still offered a smile to the older. “At what time is game?” he added in English, turning back to Kevin.

 

“It will start at 8. Should we bring you guys back to your hotel then?” answered the tired guard. Most of his customers were just requiring them to make sure they were safe between the car and the venue they were going, not walk around the whole city the entire day. These guys were definitely something else.

 

Jun and Chan simply nodded, stretching their legs and arms out before jumping to their feet. They got back to the SUV and entered the hotel's underground parking lot at 8:15. They grabbed all the bags and stepped to the elevator, the guards with them since they had spotted a few fans outside the hotel. They must have gotten wind that they were in NYC so they wanted to make sure their clients would be ok until they reached their rooms. Fortunately, all went well and the boys entered Jun's room to watch the game.

 

Chansung quickly shuffled to the bed, grabbing the remote and turning the TV on before crashing on the mattress, making Minjun chuckle at the giant. While Chansung was looking for the correct channel, he put the bags away

 

“Hyung! Come fast! I found the game!” let out an excited boy.

 

“Sure, I'll just order catering first. What would you like? I'm thinking of a juicy burger.” asked a ravenous Minjun. Even though polluted, walking outside did starve him.

 

“Make it two juseyo!” to which the older chucked.

 

He ordered the food and soft drinks and slumped beside his friend while waiting for the catering to be delivered to his room. The food arrived twenty minutes later and Jun gave a tip to the clerk before slumping once again, this time on the chair beside the little table.

 

“Come on Channie, come eat. I left you the chair facing the TV so you can continue watching the match.” said the older after a good five minutes. His own burger was already bitten.

 

Chansung walked to the table without removing his eyes from the screen, and bumped into the chair, blindly touching to move it a little away before sitting down.

 

“Aigoo” sighed Minjun. Chansung was such a fan of that sport, he was not even fun right now, almost ignoring him.

 

They watched the match while eating, sometimes either one of them would let out an excited sound when a close encounter happened on the screen.

 

They finished their dinner come half-time, so Minjun took the opportunity to jump on the younger, tickling him thus sending him rolling on the floor laughing. He missed playing with him like that. Still tickling him, he straddled the younger's waist. All was well until Chansung pushed him away. Minjun did not realize it at all, but the younger could not take the rubbing much longer before it became evident it bothered him.

 

“Alright, hyung. My tummy hurts, stop the tickling jebal!” tried to explain nonchalantly the maknae. “I'll go to the bathroom before the game starts again.” He excused himself and got up from the floor to go empty his bladder and splash cold water on his face. While he was there, he looked at himself in the mirror to find a slightly wider-eyed-than-normal reflection. Why did I react like that? He thought to himself. I have never reacted to Jun-hyung this way, I must be hornier than I thought. He shrugged to his reflection and stepped out.

 

Minjun was back on the bed, lounging lazily on the right side of it, his head resting on his arms, on his tummy, facing the TV. He looked up without moving any limb and softly smiled at his younger friend.

 

“They said it's the last commercial for the break, you're right on time” he simply said then set his eyes back on the TV. It was a KFC ad, and it made him miss home with their fried chicken that he liked so much.

 

Chansung let himself fall over his hyung just to squish him some. He heard Minjun lose his breath under him and satisfied he rolled to his side of the bed laughing. Jun looked at him and decided he deserved it for all the tickling earlier. He went back to his previous position and stayed silent except to cheer on the Knicks, since they were the local team.

 

The match ended with the Knicks winning by 3 points, which were obtained on the last seconds of the second half, and the boys cheered loudly, happy to have watched an action-packed game. It was around 11 when it ended and Chansung grabbed the remote again to flick the channels, stopping a few seconds between each so they could see what it was about. Once he flicked to the adult channel, both flushed when they heard a high-pitched moan, and Chansung pressed the button faster than on the other channels.

 

“Oh my freaking god. They let these channels free in American hotels?” grumbled the giant on the bed. Minjun was too flustered beside him to even reply.

 

They ended up watching a replay of an old technicolor movie, Rosemary's Baby. Since it is an horror flick, they ended cuddling together. The proximity made things worse since once one of them jumped, the other would too.

 

The movie ended, and Chansung started to raise himself from the bed to go back to his room when Minjun pulled him back. Slightly- from earlier Chansung wanted to run away, but he knew his hyung was sensible to horror movies and he'd wake up screaming if no one was beside him. So he stayed, but told his hyung he wanted a shower before setting to sleep for the night. He took this time to get rid of his slight problem, keeping quiet and making it quick so the other would not notice. It's not like it was the first time the younger took care of his urges while sharing a room with one of the others, without them noticing anything. He was almost an expert ninja at this, only having been caught by a sneaky Junho once. Which ended in a hot make-out session with each rubbing the other. Since that time, he always made sure to lock the door before stepping out of his clothes.

 

Once he stepped out of the bathroom, Minjun went in for a shower too. He needed to wash away the sweat of the day and remove his make-up.

 

Freshly out of the shower, he slid himself under the covers, laying his head on Chansung's arm and slinging his own left arm over the other's waist. Comfortable and comforted like this, he let sleep take over. Chansung flattened the other's hair on the back on his head, and closed his eyes too for a sweet and warm sleep.

 

**************************************

 

So yeah, this is it. A little more tension between the main characters here.

But really, Kim Jong Gook, Kevin and Eric?!? I am really scattered all over the place tonight. LOL!! But no, I did not refer to Kevin Woo and Eric Nam (though I've watched ASC a lot lately), those two names just popped naturally in my head. Or maybe, perhaps, too much ASC?

Sorry to the New-Yorkers, I have never visited the city, so I wrote only about the attractions I remember my parents telling me about when they came back from a weekend a few years ago. I do want to go visit someday, just can't in the near future. And for the basketball game, I did research the ticket prices, and based these on a real match that will happen between the Knicks and Grizzlies in January 2015. I still do remember Patrick Ewing playing for the Knicks back when I was obsessed with the sport (both watching and playing), and was surprised to read that he stopped playing like in 2000? OTL

Next up, the start of the training/judging if the kids are able to follow before being signed to become full-time trainees (and yes I did realize it's not working like this in real life, but I'll ask for a little comprehension as I know next to nothing to this whole stardom world... please?) Do you think Minjun should only teach vocals, or also rapping as he is not so bad at it?

Alright, with my brain scattered everywhere...

잘자요 친구야 ! (sleep well friends!)