Chapter 1

Work in the Big Apple

New York, the Big Apple. It’s been years since the boys last visited the city. They were so busy with Asia and Europe, that they never had time to even think about the three other continents anymore. But here they were on the plane to that city.

 

Mr Park had asked Kim Minjun and Hwang Chansung to come along since JYPE was holding auditions over there and he needed a vocal coach and a scene coach for these kids, so he could judge if they would be able to adapt quickly to new demands. He knew Minjun and Chansung were bored, and missing their band mates a lot lately. Ok Taecyeon was filming a drama, Nichkun was in Thailand with his family, and both Jang Wooyoung and Lee Junho have been busy lately with composing classes, piano lessons and recording their upcoming albums.

 

The flight was long, Mr Park looked over his shoulder to his boys. Minjun was fast asleep and Chansung was playing with his phone, and the way he was turning it around, Jin Young guessed he was playing a racing game. He smiled, glad to have them on board. These kids have been through so much, and still remained the same no matter what. He considered almost all his employees as his children, and these two were definitely in that list.

 

Minjun stirred in his sleep, quietly , having a nightmare. Chansung paused his game, and laid his hand over his hyung’s. Minjun calmed down almost immediately and after another minute, Channie resumed his game.

 

After two more hours, and a couple of different games played, Chansung looked at his watch. Still six hours to go. He decided to sleep a little too. Minjun has been asleep for a long time, and he noticed his boss was asleep too now. He plugged his phone to charge, turned off the overhead light and closed his eyes. He never was big on sleeping in moving transportation vehicles, especially not planes, but he has been in that freaking plane for nearly eight hours now. He fell asleep soundly and was woken up by Minjun a few hours later.

 

“Come on Chanana, time to wake up,” Minjun soflty whispered in his ear, gently his arm until Chansung cracked an eye open.

 

Depending on which “brother” Minjun was waking up, he acted differently. Taecyeon often needed to be thrown out of bed or he would not get up. Nichkhun woke up faster if tickled to death. Woo was almost impossible to wake up if he didn’t want to wake up. A few pinches to the cheeks and he would be up though, hating to be pinched there. Junho only needed to be called, and he’d be sitting straight up.

 

Chansung put his right hand to his mouth and yawned. He stretched as much as the plane seat would let him and looked at his hyung afterwardsHH.

 

“Aw already hyung? Feels like I just fell asleep!” he complained a little, feeling tired and grumpy.

 

“The plane will land in about twenty minutes sleepyhead. Since it is already night here, we’ll be able to get some more sleep at the hotel before going to JYPE’s auditions.”

 

The boys grabbed their stuff lying around them, and buckled their seatbelts when the light came on.

 

“The plane will now land in New York City, USA. Thank you for boarding Asiana, and we hope you had a nice flight.” The hostess’ voice came in.

 

Not only did Chansung hated to sleep in planes, but he hated landing also. He was always a little scared that the plane’s breaks would not come out or anything else. He grabbed the seat’s armrests and his knuckles turned white from the pressure he was putting in his hands. Minjun’s lips turned up and he started to his dongsaeng’s hand without saying a word. He knew it had some effect, even if little. He’s seen Chansung pant out of fear in the past, and when he was touched by one of his hyungs, Chansung’s breathing was somewhat staying steady.

 

Once the plane had landed and stopped, Minjun undid his belt and squeezed Chansung’s hand, smiling at him before standing up to grab his travel bag over his head.

 

Chansung let out a breath and unclenched his fingers from the armrests. He shook his head, smiled slightly at his hyung and got up to grab his own bag, and help his boss grab his, since he was fighting with a folder of papers that would not stay in place. All three of them stepped out of the plane and walked only a few meters to the limousine waiting for them. A borders agent was there to make sure that everything was in order since they would not go through the borders as other normal guests would.

 

Their luggages were brought to the limousine, the agent declared them ok and they were on their way to the hotel. Chansung, tired as he was, slumped in his seat and put his head against Minjun’s shoulder. Minjun raised his hand and his maknae’s hair without thinking much about it. Jin Young observed them and saw Chansung’s faint satisfied smile while Minjun just seemed lost in thought or in the music he was listening to. Jin Young wondered if there was still something going on between them. Oh, even if these boys would never admit it, he knew some of them hooked up during their trainee days and even after. He remembered broken-hearted Wooyoung who could not function properly for a few weeks after Khun dumped him for a girl. He remembered having to step between Junho and Chansung during a JYP Nation concert because everyone could feel the there. He remembered having to warn Taec and Khun about their fiery glances. Even though Minjunnie never publicly showed his feelings for the other boys, Jin Young knew he was not completely straight either. He smiled at these memories, thinking that at least, even if he’d never consider a man for himself, this was good for business. Fans loved some fan service, and he would not have to announce that one of them was getting married or to be a father. At least, not for now. Which was good, right?

 

Arrived at the hotel, they all registered and stepped quietly into their respective rooms after saying good night.

 

The next morning, they all showered, dressed and met for breakfast. Of course, it would be one of those American breakfasts, with eggs, bacon, toasts and stuff. Very different from their usual breakfast table, but they enjoyed the food nonetheless. Jin Young, Minjun and Chansung enjoyed the warm coffee the most, and allowed themselves a last cup before going back to brush their teeth before going to the auditions room.

 

Jun and Channie would not have to act as coaches just yet. They’d start on the third day, with those contestants that would pass the first wave. Minjun was looking forward to hear those voices strain, and Chansung knew he’d have fun challenging the kids with stage fright. He did remember his first few times on stage, how frightened he was, and how he still felt before stepping on the planks. Show time was still frightening, but so exciting now, that it was now like a drug to him. The adrenaline rush just between the band’s prayers and actually stepping on stage was the best feeling in the world for the Maknae.

 

They both grabbed hats and scarves, so they would not be recognizable easily. People on the streets would probably not know since 2PM was not exactly known nor publicized in America, but the kids coming to the auditions were at least part Asian so chances were that they knew at least some of JYP Entertainment’s bands. Besides, it was winter, so the scarves and hats had double uses.

 

Chansung was the first to step out of his room, so he went to knock at Minjun’s door. It took a few seconds for Minjun to open the door and look at his Maknae. He had highlined his eyes slightly, making them stunning. Chansung smiled widely, still amazed at how his hyung could be beautiful. He did not himself put any make up on, but he knew that Minjun did not show up where potential fans could be without looking his best.

 

“You look great, hyung. But can we go now? Jinyoung sunbae-nim must be waiting downstairs. You know how much he hates when we make him late…”

 

“Nae, Chan. I’m coming.”

 

Minjun made sure he had his hotel card with him and stepped out. They walked to the elevator, chatting lightly, laughing together. The short ride downstairs let Minjun remove an eyelash that laid on Chansung’s cheek before the door opened and they were seen by the world. They stepped out and smiled at Jin Young, who returned the smile and they went out and into the white limousine that was waiting to take them to the office.