Rooftop Smalltalk

Silent Killer

 

Kisa leaned back on the bench and closed her eyes. It was quiet here, up on the school’s roof. She could see over the entire campus from her little spot. It was like she was in her own skin again, because now she could zone in on anyone or anything up here. This place was like her temporary sanctuary of the moment.

 

Of the moment, of course.

 

~

 

Chanyeol had spent the past half hour running around the school checking the library, closets, hallways and nearly all the clubrooms. At that point, it seemed pointless to keep looking for Kisa. And to be honest, sometimes he forgot why he was running around the school, but her sharp light brown eyes that seemed to be analyzing everything always kept reminding him.

 

He decided to look in one more place before he gave up, so he took the nearest flight of stairs to see where they would take him. Chanyeol kept trudging up the stairs -his feet quite sore and his mind exhausted- until he landed in a small room with no furniture and only one door. The door was slightly open, and he walked towards it. Peeking through the door’s open space to see what was on the other side, he saw a girl sitting on a little bench made for probably two people. Squinting his eyes a little bit, Chanyeol saw that the girl was in fact Kisa herself.

 

Chanyeol smiled in triumph. He wanted to sit down on the bench with Kisa to ask her why he ran away from his friends, but she looked so … peaceful. Her facial expression looked much calmer and kinder, and her shoulders were loose and not stiff like when she first met Kai and the others.

 

The tall boy put one hand on the doorknob, debating with himself if he should leave Kisa by herself or actually talk to her like he planned to do. Not even making the choice yet, his hand accidentally gripped the doorknob hard enough to cause the old door’s hinges to creak. Chanyeol thought that it wasn’t loud enough of a creak to disturb her, but he was wrong.

 

Kisa’s head didn’t turn, but her eyes looked to where the sound was. Assuming someone was behind the roof door exit, she called out nonchalantly, “Show yourself.”

 

Chanyeol stepped out awkwardly. “H-hey there,” he half-smiled.

 

Like a moth to a flame, this kid. Kisa groaned mentally.

 

“Hey there yourself. What are you doing here, Chanyeol?” She stood up from the bench and walked over to where he was standing.

 

Chanyeol noticed that Kisa didn’t look as calm and kind as before when he was watching her for a bit earlier. She seemed to be on-guard for … well, something. Like something was going to attack her. Her face became blank, so others would be unable to read her thoughts. Her eyes became sharp again, right now analyzing him. He could feel the hairs on the back of his neck stand up, yet he found her -in a way- seductive. Kisa was a mystery to him.

 

“I-I didn’t want you t-to eat lunch a-alone,” he stuttered. Kisa let out a laugh. “Why are you stuttering?” she asked.

 

Chanyeol froze. “To be honest, you scare me a little bit.” He bit his lip, but he still managed an awkward smile.

 

“Then why the hell are you trying to be friends with someone who scares you?” Kisa stared at him. One of her hands then travelled to where she kept hidden two tiny tranquilizer darts (because she wasn’t allowed to use any weapons involving Chanyeol’s bloodshed on this mission), and her other hand went to where she kept a secret knife just in case if the Park family would have any of their own thugs come attack her here or anywhere. She didn’t know if Chanyeol was told by his family company of the whole an-assassin-was-out-to-get-him situation, but Kisa was still prepared with more than enough experience to kill him and whatever else the Parks would come at her with.

 

Kyungsoo, who was determined to chase after Chanyeol since the cafeteria, finally managed to catch up to him. Being short caused him to run slow in comparison to Chanyeol, who had very long legs and could run very fast. He quietly looked to see Chanyeol’s back and Kisa. They were talking, but he saw Kisa searching for her weapons.

 

He decided to keep watching, but if Chanyeol were to get hurt, he would protect him, even though he wasn’t supposed to. Yes, Kyungsoo’s reason for being a traitor to Kisa was selfish, but it was a Win-Lose-Win. A win for him, a lose for Kisa, and a win for Chanyeol (because the poor giant wouldn’t die), that is.  

 

“I want to be friends with you because I don’t want to be scared of you,” Chanyeol answered after a short pause, not stuttering at all. He gave an earnest smile, because smiles were what Chanyeol best offered and never ran out of.

 

Kisa’s hands instantly dropped away from her weapons in shock. She shook her head in amazement. This kid really is something else. She walked back over to the bench and sat down. “So you came because you wanted eat lunch with me, is that it?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“By eating lunch with me, do you mean sharing my meal with you or eating our own separate meals while talking?”

 

“The second option, of course!”

 

“Good, because I don’t have a lunch to share with you,” Kisa said. Did she already eat or is she anorexic or is she … Chanyeol endlessly wondered. Kisa leaned back a little on the bench. “If you need anything else, say it then go.”

 

“Can I spend the rest of the free period with you?” Chanyeol blurted out quickly.

 

Kisa blinked. Should I say yes or no? If I say no, then I don’t have to spend time with this kid and I can get some time to think to myself. But if I say yes, I can study his personality more beneath the surface and find out more about his family’s company.

 

“I mean I guess you can hang out with me,” Kisa finally responded. “I’m not great company, though.” Chanyeol’s grin reached his eyes. “Yay!” he yelled excitedly.

 

Kyungsoo, who was still watching from afar, smiled. The girl he knew who would usually talk more with violent actions than words, was making friends. No longer wanting to be a stalker and trying to interfere with whatever could happen, he silently went back down the staircase to head back to spend the rest of the free period trying to find his next class.

 


 

A/N: Ay! I'm going to try to update next week (at the latest). I think the story is progressing okay so far. Sorry if it's a bit too slow/boring, haha. I'm planning to include a lot more K-Pop characters, not necessarily meaning EXO. I've recently caught the GOT7 obsession, omg ...

So I hope everyone's having a good summer so far! I'll return to America this August (I'm in Cambodia rn).

Feel free to suscribe, comment & upvote :)