Part 2 - The King's Game

Once Upon a Dream

[CLICK-BANG]

What is it with door slamming and my apartment? I’m sure the neighbors aren’t appreciative of it. A current of energy bursts through the room as a loud voice follows afterwards.

“LINDA WE HAVE TO CHANGE OUR TICKETS!”

“What?”

“We have to change it so we stop in LA for a few days instead of heading straight back to Austin!”

“But I already told my parents I’d be back tomorrow…”

“CHANGE IN PLANS, EXO IS HAVING A FANSIGNING IN LA!”

“Wha- but that usually never happens. Are you sure it’s real?”

“Yes, because I won TWO DRAW TICKETS!”

My eyes bulge out of their sockets as I grab her shoulders and shake her back and forth.

“You’re kidding!”

“Nope! I have the tickets here! It’ll be an extra super special fansigning too because they’re not just signing CDs since it’ll be their first in America. They’re gonna be performing too!”

A pair of hands grab at my arms as I shake back and forth.

“H-how did you manage to do that?”

“It’s a secret~”

A secret I should’ve known would lead to a very awkward situation.

“We’re gonna go right? I mean I have the tickets we kind of have to go at this point.”

“I-I guess…”

“WHOOOOOO! OH MY GOD I’M SO EXCITED! I’m gonna go pack RIGHT. NOW.”

A noise come out of my mouth as I tried to reply to her statement, but she was gone so quickly that when I blinked there was no trace of her left. I went back to packing, deciding to just let her do her thing while trying to get ready for tomorrow’s change in schedule.

­­­­­­­­­­­---

“Chapagetti? What’s that?”

I murmured to myself while shopping for dry food to put in my suitcase when going back to America.

“It’s really good with Neoguri.”

A vaguely familiar voice resonated from my left, bringing me back to my senses and realizing that I had been thinking aloud. Looking up I recognized the man from our brief encounter a few weeks ago, appearing almost the same as last time with his hat slightly covering his face, a wine-colored hoodie to keep him warm in the chilly nights of Seoul with dark jeans and shoes that look almost brand new. He tilts his head and furrows his eyebrows just a little bit as I realized that I had been looking at him with my mouth open for a little too long.

“Ah! I’ve heard of Neoguri, but I’ve never heard of Chapagetti.”

The sound that comes out of my mouth is a laugh I had never heard of before. Am I nervous? Well I guess he is putting my Korean skills to the test… We exchange a bit of small talk again and as I begin to talk away after paying for my things his hand reaches out to touch my shoulder.

“U-umm, a few of my friends are having a get together tonight… would you like to come?”

“S-sure.”

His face lights up at my response and he quickly pays for his food to lead me outside in the direction of his place.

“Have you eaten dinner yet?”

“Not yet.”

“Want some ddeokbokki?”

“Yes!”

After a quick bite to eat we find ourselves at an apartment door about to join the loud noises coming from the other side of the wall.

“I have to warn you… there are a lot of us.”

“Huh?”

The door opens to 11 other males making a ruckus with a sudden stop in noise as they notice my presence.

“He brought a girl. HE BROUGHT A GIRL?! YAH! KIM JONGDAE HOW?”

Next thing I knew I was on the floor surrounded by 12 guys sitting in a circle. They were all peering at me curiously, as if it had been a long time since they’ve come into contact with a female. Someone nudged Jongdae sitting next to me and the silence was broken again.

“Ah! Noona would you like to introduce yourself?”

“Oh. Hi, I’m Linda-”

“ARE YOU DATING JONGDAE?”

“Wha-”

“Shut up Byun Baekhyun!”

“What year were you born in?”

“’91”

“How did you two meet?”

“Grocery… store?”

“What’s your favorite color?”

“Blue?”

“Do you know EXO?”

“Zitao!”

All the boys clucked at the blond boy in disappointment, surprised that he asked such a question.

“Umm, yes actually. They’re one of my favorite groups… Which by the way y’all-ohh. OHH…”

“Hello, we are EXO!”

“Oh my goodness.”

I was in such a shock I didn’t know what else to do with myself. The next thing I know a hand was waving in front of my face.

“Linda? Hello? Who’s your favorite in EXO?”

“U-uhh… Ch-Chen.”

A chorus of “ooh” and laugher echoed around the room as blood rushed up to my face. I could feel someone scooting closer to me so that Jongdae and I could sit closer to each other. I stood my ground and refused to sit any closer to anyone while burying my face in my hands to cover how hot my face felt. The moment felt like it went on forever until someone recommended we play the King Game.

“But hyung we don’t have any alcohol.”

“Why don’t we do it with the snacks we have?”

“Good idea!”

The food and sticks are prepared and the circle is formed again. The tension of competition is in the air as Chanyeol lays down the rules.

“Okay so everyone pulls a stick with a number on it. If someone pulls the King stick they yell out two numbers and an order for them to do. If the two people don’t do it they have to eat what the King tells them to. We’ll play until we’ve run out of food. Agreed?”

“Agreed.”

Everyone pulls a stick and unsurprisingly Chanyeol is the first King.

“Alright! Numbers 1 and 7 kiss.”

1 and 7… I have number 1! I look up to hear the person on my right has number 7 and turn my head to come into eye contact with none other than Luhan.

Oh no…

---

The door closes behind us as Jongdae gets ready to walk me back to my apartment. We stand outside his doorstep for a while recovering from the mayhem that occurred over the past two hours.

“I’m sorry you had to see that.”

He bashfully scratched the back of his neck and kicked an invisible rock on the ground. s made sure to embarrass him as much as he could during the two hours we played the King Game. We begin making the trek back to my place, being careful not to meet any suspicious gazes along the way.

“It’s okay! I had fun. Congratulations on being the last king!”

“Yes! And as the last reigning King I must declare something upon the lovely maiden.”

“What?”

“N-nothing! U-umm, could I ask you for a favor?”

We pause for a bit as Jongdae looks down at his feet mustering the courage to ask his next request.

“So tomorrow we have a fansigning in LA…”

“Yeah! I’m going to it.”

“Really?”

His face lights up again as he takes a step towards me, becoming more confident in making his request that I’m assuming is related towards the fansigning. He laughs a little and clasps his hands together in anticipation.

“Would you come to me to get my sign tomorrow?”

“O-oh… sorry. I was actually thinking of going to either Kai or Kyungsoo tomorrow.”

“O-oh.”

“Eyy, I’m just kidding! Of course I’ll come to you.”

I push his arm a little to show that I was joking, but when I looked at his face I was met with the brightest smile in the world, a smile that encompassed his entire face.

“Really?”

“Really.”

“Really really?”

“Really really.”

“Promise?”

“Promise!” I laughed, “Pinky swear.”

“I’ll be waiting for you!”

“O-okay.”

I should’ve known.

I should’ve known something bad was going to happen from that promise.

------------------

A/N: Part 2! I hope you liked it! So King's Game! If y'all don't know what it is already, it's originally a drinking game that's pretty popular and fun to play. Kind of like Truth or Dare but more like Dare or Punishment. Haha! A good example of this game is in Reply 1994 Episode 6 at about 43 minutes into the episode, and looks like this:

(cr. Dramabeans)

I really want to play this game one day! It's a nice ice breaker/bonding game too.