Soft Keys

A Changkyu Collection

 

Delicate fingers press lightly against piano keys. Kyuhyun's soft brown hair falls in front of his face while he sways with the music. The room is empty, save for the gentle notes that billow from Kyuhyun's fingertips. He doesn't remember the last time he was allowed to play so freely. There is no direction, no aim, and he just plays until everything he's feeling flows into a string of notes he'll never remember.

 

Kyuhyun's eyes are closed when the door clicks open. He doesn't hear footsteps, just the simple melody he plays. He figures it's someone who takes care of the music room, possibly a manager, but no one looking for him. When something heavy sits on his right shoulder, Kyuhyun flinches and opens his eyes in surprise.

 

His fingers slide off the keys and he stares into the eyes of Changmin, his best friend. It's quiet, and Kyuhyun watches the sun from the window shine on Changmin's face, turning his eyes into orbs of glass. Changmin's hair falls over his face when he nudges Kyuhyun, getting closer to him. They just stare endlessy without words, without much contact, until the sun from Changmin's face is gone.

 

“What were you playing?” Changmin asks, his words muffled due to Kyuhyun's shoulder.

 

It takes a second for Kyuhyun to register what Changmin has said, to register voices and thoughts that have meaning.

 

“I don't know. Nothing really,” Kyuhyun answers.

 

Changmin sits up, stretching his muscular arms. He sits forward on the piano bench, hands on top of the keys.

 

“How about I help you remember?”

 

Kyuhyun smiles and nods in reply.