“Dear Yonghwa, I said horrible things about you. Your teeth are fine. It’s just the rest of you I don’t like.”

40 Love Letters

The way Yonghwa holds me when we wake up after good nights always made me feel like it will be a good day. He wakes up with the most serene smile on most days and his arms will always be holding me tight and safely. With him around, I kept believing I need no one else but him. When he loves someone, there’s this absolute and obvious happiness from his voice, there’s always this squeaky laughter that follows many things he says and its wonderful – his laugh. You come to learn about things like that when you spend a lot of time with someone but in time, it wears off and you start to question if he even loves you anymore.

 

That’s what happened to us.

 

He loved me I know, when he met my friends he was not ashamed of who I was or what I might be like in front of other people, instead he cupped his hands, holding me who was b over, spilling into nothingness. Every drop of me he held back, he tried to keep because I was precious to him and everyone could see, even I did. Maybe it was this that kept me loving him, the thought that maybe; just maybe, he was the only one for me as I was sure I was for him.

 

But I don’t know because one day it all just seems to disappear. You know how they say things happen for a reason and I initially I thought that I did something wrong. But the heart doesn’t usually lie and I knew he was losing interest through the way he was treating me. His hands that were always holding me pushed me away and I knew then that he wanted me no longer.

 

Yonghwa has an adorable complex, he has a small gap between his front teeth and he always complained about how strange it made him look like but I loved it. I love how when he smiles it kind of made him look playful and when he eats he tends to rub his tongue over that gap – it made him strangely even more attractive to me. When you love someone, I guess even the flaws turn out to be some kind of plus points.

 

We got into a fight one night and I knew this was the last straw and this will mark the end for us. I hated the way he treated me long after the honeymoon days were over. He was selfish, stubborn, hateful and just different. It hurts me more than I could ever put in words because I knew how good a man he was from before. Unconsciously I told him I hated one of the things about him that I truly loved.

 

“You know what your teeth are disgusting.” I told him before I left and I knew it sounded childish even now it makes me want to laugh but I knew its one of the worst things someone could tell him. But when the person who you have loved for so long makes you feel the way he did to me, nothing made sense because for so long, he was all that I was. Truth is, his teeth are fine, I love it in fact. Just most of him that I did not like, and I’m sorry.