A Year Later

ALIVE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A YEAR LATER

Jinwoo’s POV

I willed my feet to run faster. With adrenaline surging throughout my whole body, I tried to run as fast as I can.

“Yah! You! Stop running!” Sungjoo, my partner, screamed at the man running away from us.

We were on duty, patrolling the bustling streets of active Hongdae when a robbery suddenly unfolded in a nearby convenience store. The man we’re currently chasing after was the thief. He had stolen the entire proceeds from the store’s cash register and some of its products. He even threatened the employees, as well as the customers, with what seems like a handgun. We were doing our very best to capture him.

The thief suddenly made a sharp turn into an alleyway. It was a zigzag kind of backstreet, meaning there were lots of twists and turns, but I had a hunch where he was heading. That place was a good escape after all. There were a lot of hiding places and confusing doors. It was the best place for someone to hide. I turned my head to Sungjoo.

“He’s headed for the club! Let’s corner him there!” I yelled loud enough for him to hear.

Sungjoo understandingly nodded his head and quickly made his way towards the club in the next block. I then turned towards the alleyway.

The thief was nowhere to be seen but I could faintly hear the way his feet loudly hit the asphalt. I instinctively followed his footsteps.

I made a quick turn to my left and I was suddenly hit with a metal bat to my face.

“Ah!” I groaned out. My hands quickly shot up to my face, specifically my nose. I felt blood trickle down from my nostril. I scrunched up my face in pain.

There were only three people in front of me – the thief and the other two seemed to be his back-up. There was one holding a metal bat and one holding a knife while the thief was holding out his gun. I cursed under my breath.

Three against one? How nice… I sarcastically thought.

I slightly glared at them and irritatingly clicked my tongue.

“Isn’t this a nice surprise?” the thief arrogantly cackled. “Never expected for me to have back-up, eh? I’m quite the big man here. I have these boys here to help,” he conceitedly added.

I internally rolled my eyes. Typical gang leader mentality. I internally scoffed.

Stealing from a mere convenience store by yourself and you’re saying you’re quite the big man?

The man standing in front of me was a disgrace to gang leaders out there.

My eyes caught the site of Sungjoo, sneakily making his way to the three fools criminals. And it seemed like he had brought a few reinforcements with him. A smirk ghosted on my lips.

My partner saw this and he too smirked. We’re partners for nothing after all. Sungjoo knew me like I knew him – we could understand each other without saying a word. We’re partners for work but we’re also close friends in real life. He gave me firm nod.

I blinked a few times until my eyes started to water. I jutted out my lips and looked pleadingly at the three.

“P-p-please have mercy on me,” I begged, my voice slightly trembling.

The three looked at each other, confusion and astonishment obvious in their eyes. I gave myself a mental pat on the back for my good acting. It seemed like they didn’t expect for me to beg.

I continued to look at them pitifully.

“I-I-I don’t want to get hurt,” I mumbled. “Please spare me,” I added.

I tried my best to sound desperate and scared. I could see their defenses weakening.

The thief-slash-leader haughtily walked towards me, his handgun forgotten in his hands. He had a lazy and confident smile plastered on his face.

“What kind of cop

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter