The Intersection

Paths

People think that their situation is the only one in the world that no one else experiences but how wrong they are. If they look, really look for it, they will find that there are many others, who have the same problem, the same situation. Many would be very similar, if not the same in some rare cases. This is a story, or stories, of three young men, standing on the intersection of their lives, picking the path to go forward.  Their travelled roads were very similar, to the point that only minor differences exist, yet, they are different people, with different personalities and of course, despite the similarities, they had never met each other nor knowing of each other existences. Well, that doesn’t really matter to this story as they are mostly likely stay that way. Now, let me tell you about their similarities, before we take a peek into the each chosen path for each individual.

Eric, Hyesung and Andy were born in South Korea, in different regions, in a peaceful time, with the economic blooming.

Hyesung was always first in the entire school during his primary and middle school. He was talented at studying but little did his parents know that his passion was actually music, singing to specific. He was friendly but also somewhat distanced because of his shy nature so his friend circle was small. Instead, they had invested him taekwondo since he had such frail built, they thought it would improve his health as well as his self-defence. Hyesung didn’t mind it, taekwondo helped him to release his stress from studying and he loves the challenge that it poses.

Andy was not so talented at studying like Hyesung but he was in upper middle range during his primary and middle school. However, he was popular, very popular with his classmates, even schoolmates as he was very good looking and open, especially when he was following the trends. His social circle can be considered the widest as he was always surrounded by people. Since he had always been around people, he wanted to give people around him happiness, he wanted to cheer them up, that was when he realised that he is interested in music, in delivering hope in many people through songs but his parents thought otherwise. From their perspective, music is a thorny, hopeless road.

Eric was talented at studying, not as hardworking and decent like Hyesung but he has got the brain for it as he was always in the top 10 of the school. He strived hard for his goals and his ability to focus is amazing. He had many friends, much more than Hyesung but also much less than Andy as not everyone can handle his slightly eccentric personality. He was the one that enjoyed his life the most as he lived it to his desire, well, most of it since he still had to follow his parents’ wishes. However, Eric knew about his talent, his true talent, rap.

You might be wondering that they are not all that similar at all, but wait for it, as they approached the turning point, the intersection, the road became more and more similar, or else, I wouldn’t have stated it at the beginning.

Just before their entrance into high school, their parents had decided to send them to America so that they could get better education, more worthy qualifications and potentially, a better life there. Without a say or second thought, the three of them had agreed to go. They were young, they thought it was like a trip but they didn’t know the hardship awaiting them, the struggles. And so, they moved to California and attended high school, each in a different one. Just like many others, at first, they had all struggled with the language, the culture, the time difference, the homesick but they had gradually gotten over the hurdles.

As they approached their final year, they had grown tired of studying, they were burnt out as there were many distractions, especially when the hidden passion for music within them grew stronger and stronger. However, there was a setback, South Korea had been involved in war with North Korea, actively, after the year they had left for study. Their families had forbidden them to comeback, they convinced and forced them to study hard, become doctor so that they could get America citizenship. There was no other way, but that would mean the three guys have to abandon their passion.

They had reached the intersection, what would they do? To follow their parents’ wishes, so that one day, the family can reunite in America or to follow their dreams? They were conflicted, torn to be at the intersection, the longer they stay at that point, the more it hurts. In the end, they have to pick a path and walk on it. 

 


This is all I'm going to update for this fic until I have actually finish writing the whole thing. I will update the whole story at once for this one because I want readers to be able to pick which path they want to read first.