Bonus Chapter + News!

Mistaken for a Boy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

This is a reward for all of you wonderful readers who read this story from start to finish and even for those who subscribed after its completion. First, I present you a bonus chapter of fluff, and then the more exciting news will come in the author's note (you probably know what I'm talking about). Have fun reading! 

 

Kai rapped his knuckles against the familiar maroon door in a syncopated beat as he whistled. His mood was currently high, and he couldn't wait to tell Sungmi about what had transpired between him and his mother just a few hours ago. Surely, as a reward, she would give him a big hug with a smile on her face, and then they'd walk hand in hand on the date that Kai had been waiting for. While the couple usually visited each other after Kai's work or Sungmi's studies, they hadn't had very many opportunities to go on dates. That was what Kai hated most about their relationship; while their moments together were always special, he wanted more. Was it too selfish of him to wish that he was actually living with her just like before? Because even though he had been under false assumptions, that short time span gave him more memorable moments than perhaps two decades of his life. 

But Kai waved this thought aside. He had more exciting things to look forward to right now. 

He tapped his foot against the ground and waited for the lock to jiggle. But even after standing idle for a full minute and repeatedly knocking on the door, nobody answered. Kai furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. He knew for a fact that Sungmi's brother was on a business trip (again), but the girl herself didn't leave the house that often, if ever, and usually just idled around a bunch of history books and documents that she had accumulated ever since she decided to change majors. For her not to answer the door, especially having known beforehand that Kai would be coming to share his news, was strange. 

Kai knocked one more time, and when a lack of response came, he tried to twist and push on the doorknob. Much to his surprise, the door swiftly swung inwards, pulling Kai inside with its momentum. 

The first thing he sensed was the slightly acidic, smoky smell in the air. 

Oh no, not again. 

"Sungmi!" he shouted angrily. Kai slammed the door shut before stomping into the kitchen with heavy steps, his features contorted in worry and annoyance. If she got injured again, he didn't know how he'd react, especially since he'd grown twice as overprotective of her after he found out that she was a woman. And the way he'd reacted when she was a "man" was bad enough; Kai didn't even want to imagine what this time would be like. 

However, instead of bloody fingers and plumes of gray smoke, the scene was quite different. Sungmi was standing over the beeping oven, attempting to wiggle out a circular container with her kitchen gloves as she whistled the tune to Super Junior's "Mamacita". She seemed completely oblivious to Kai's presence, despite the fact that he had knocked on her door countless times and shouted out her name. 

Kai's eyes widened in alarm when he saw the container lilting off the side of the metallic tray. He bolted forward to shove it back in place, wincing in pain as the heat scorched his fingers. 

Sungmi jumped back in surprise. "Kai! What are you doing here?"

He returned a wilted look. "Are you serious? You didn't hear me knock or anything? "

She scratched the back of her neck sheepishly. "Well, I was kind of preoccupied, as you can see." Her eyes shifted to the container that was still sitting in the oven. "It was supposed to be a surprise, since Luhan told me he had a really good chicken casserole recipe and you like chicken..." 

Kai narrowed his eyes briefly at the mention of Luhan, but he waved that aside. As far as Kai could tell, Luhan was no threat to him. 

He leaned down to peer inside the oven at the container. Inside was a mixture of green and brown goop. Kai frowned. "That's chicken casserole? Are you sure you did it right, Sungmi?" 

"I mean, I followed all the instructions that Luhan gave. I don't know if he mi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter