The Impatient

Mistaken for a Boy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter Ten

The Impatient

 

It took a while for Kai and Sungmi to return to their former ways. After their argument Sunday morning, the two had been extremely awkward around each other, continually avoiding one another out of embarrassment and discomfort. Sungmi was feeling a lot better thanks to Kai's broths and soups that gave her stomach a happy, warm feeling, even though their meals were eaten in heavy silence. And even though he had told her that he considered her as a friend, Sungmi still couldn't help but feel like she was a burden somehow. She hadn't done anything substantial for him yet, so what kind of terrible friend was she? 

Their attitudes towards each other resumed Monday morning when Kai didn't fail to wake Sungmi up for her morning run. She was beginning to get used to waking up early and got off the couch without much of a complaint. She still at running, but the exercise had begun to improve more and more by the day. However, Sungmi was sure that if it wasn't for Kai's persistence to making her work her off, she would've given up a long time ago. 

Today, for some reason, the atmosphere was different than usual. Instead of sprinting ahead when they walked out the door, Kai actually waited for Sungmi to follow. She couldn't exactly understand this change in the routine. Was it because he had admitted that she was his friend? Thinking about it that way made her heart race unhealthily. 

"Don't get your hopes up, Min. I'm simply going with you today because you still might be sick. I don't want to be accountable if you knock out again," Kai said, looking straight ahead as they started jogging side by side. It was a bit weird that he could always read her thoughts. Was she really that easy to decipher? She didn't think so, but maybe concealing her expressions and emotions around Kai was not as easy as other people. 

"Oh, thanks," she replied, but she meant it with no sarcasm. 

A silence passed between them. 

"So, Min, I was wondering..." Kai began, looking at her from the corner of his eye. "Do you live with yourself?" His memory flashed back to the bottle of pills that he had seen in the medicine cabinet and the room that was locked next to Min's. 

Sungmi was slightly confused. Why was he asking her that all of a sudden? She bit her lip as she thought of an answer that wouldn't reveal anything too risky. "Yeah, I have a brother, but he left for China on a business trip before you came." 

"Oh," Kai said. That answer didn't quite satiate his curiousity. He was pretty sure the name on the pills was indicative of a girl, unless Min's brother had a girly name and looked girly like him too. "And your parents?" 

Sungmi grimaced. She didn't like where this was going. "I moved out after high school." Her tone implied that the conversation was over. She hated bringing up her parents and childhood; after all, they were just as scary as her nightmares. 

Kai didn't say anything else. He could feel thick tension envelope them and he knew that he didn't want to add even more awkwardness to their friendship after what had happened yesterday, so he changed the topic. "Hey, can I borrow your car today?"

Sungmi was a little taken aback. "Huh, for what?" 

He gave her a look. "Do you expect me to be cooped up in your house all day? It's extremely boring by myself and I have nothing to do. If you're worried about the gas, I'll pay." Kai hoped his friend would agree. He had important matters to attend to today. 

Sungmi hesitated. "You'll take me to school and pick me up?" 

"Of course, what do you think?" Kai responded with an raise of his eyebrow. That part was easy. 

Sungmi was a bit reluctant to hand over her key, but she did so anyways. Maybe this could be one way she could pay him back for his hard efforts. It bothered her a little not knowing where he would be, or who he would be seeing (Kai didn't seem like the type to meet up with women but she wasn't too sure), but she trusted him. Heck, he had her heart in the palm of his hand. She would even trust him with her life. 

 

 

After Kai had dropped off Min at his school, he pushed on the gas pedal heading straight for his client appointment. His suit and tie were in the backseat and he planned to change at the restaurant where his meeting would be held. Kai had originally planned to get ready at the house before taking off but had hesitated because he didn't Min to start asking him questions. Even though he knew he could trust his friend, Kai didn't want to him to know about his identity or his occupation. Not yet. He was beginning to get closer to this boy and didn't want to scare him away with the truth. For now, the title of "Kai" within the home was all Min needed to know. 

Kai emerged from the restaurant's restroom in his formal wear. His Armani suit fit him perfectly, outlining his perfect, lean figure from head to toe. A pair of shiny Gucci dress shoes adorned his feet. To all the people who got a glimpse of him, Kai looked striking.

He approached the table where three businessmen were sitting around a fancy display of scrumptous, delectable courses. He was quite awed, since he had gotten used to cooking his own meals. 

He gracefully bowed. "Thank you for your presence here today."

"Mr. Kim Jongin," the man sitting to the right of the empty seat reserved for Kai said, bowing his head slightly. The other guests nodded their heads in the same way. He took his seat. 

Kai began to launch into his speech, exuding confidence and conviction in every word. He discussed everything they wanted to know and what they didn't even think to ask, not leaving a single detail out of his plan. He was convincing the men and he could feel it in their confirming nods and pliant smiles. As he came to a close, the three men shook their heads in disbelief. 

"You are very talented, Mr. Kim. I heard rumors that you graduated high school at the age of fifteen and I can see now that there is credibility to those words. You are very intelligent, indeed," one complimented. 

Kai smiled politely, slightly abashed. "Thank you for your kind words." 

They nodded. "Alright, our companies will consider an investment and will let you know. On a different subject, congratulations." 

Kai was confused. "Pardon me?" 

"Are you not engaged to the daughter of Wang Corporations?" The man asked, raising his eyebrow in questions.

Kai cringed. He didn't want to talk about this. In no way did it sound like something he should celebrate. "I'm sorry, but there is no base to those rumors. I will ask you kindly to re

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter