Shoes

HUMALIEN

“Eomma… Wake up.. how many times have you out for this past 16 years huh?”

The woman who called Eomma blinked her eyes. Kyungsoo feel fooled, how could his mother pretended to be unconscious, again? He can not even tell when her mother actually fainted and when she was pretending. Undoubtedly, she is an actress.

“I’m living with two aliens, how did I didn’t pass out?”

“Eomma, stop using that as an excuse. You are just pretending, right?” Kyungsoo help his mother sat.

“How did you know?”

“I will tell Appa. I left my afternoon class because Eomma.”

“Please don’t tell your father Soo..” The woman pleaded.

“Then, why did you call me and pretend to faint?”

“I want to buy something, why don’t you accompany me shopping? Huh?”

“Shireo!!!!”

“Pleaseeeee!!”

“Eomma, I leave my school because of you.”

“So you love your school more than your mother. Fine I’ll go alone, my husband and my son don’t even love me.”

Acting again. “Aissh, forget it. I’ll go change first.”

“Yaaayyyy..” Kyungsoo heard his mother screaming in joy.

 

 

 

“Oppa, don’t tell Eomma and Appa if we skip the afternoon class, promise?” Krystal raised her pinky up in front of Suho’s face

“Promise.” Suho linked his pinky to her sister’s “What would you like to do now?”

“I want to buy shoes, I saw a very beautiful one yesterday.”

“Really? Okay let’s go.”

The siblings walked side by side. Both their hands interlocked. Everyone who saw them must have thought they were lovers. And in fact that was the hope of one of them. Krystal occasionally look at Suho in awe. Her brother is very handsome, his smile could melt down the iceberg in the north and south poles, raising sea water levels. He is very smart, always in top three at his class. Suho could always cheer her up and give a wise counsel. All of that was enough for Krystal toadmire her won brother.

Million butterflies filled her stomact while occasionally Suho tightened their hands. Krystal was not supposed to feel this way. Suho is her Oppa. Her love to Suho only to the extent of love from sister to her brother. Sigh. Krystal tried to calmed herself down because of contact with Suho, she cant even think straight.

“Gwenchana?” Suho asked.

“Hm? Wae?”

“You seem to think of something.”

“I just tried to remember where’s the store. There’s so much shoes store  in that shopping mall right?” Krystal  lied.

 

 

 

Kyungsoo

“Let’s goooo…” Eomma started the engine and went out from the apartement parking lot.

I could only sigh and tried to look for a grip. Eomma was very bad in driving a car. Luckily, S shopping mall wasn’t that far from our apartement. My life saved for today. Eomma and I arrived at the mall parking lot with the life that still exists in our body.

Eomma and I walked aroud in the largest shopping mall in Seoul. Eomma tried to remember the location of the store where she saw the shoes she said was good. My mother holds my hand like I was a kid.

“Ah there it is.” She screamed in delight. Phew, thank goodness. It won’t take long, hopefully.

“Omo! Cheon Songyi?” A young mother cradling her baby call Eomma’s name. it will be long.

Bias and fans met like this. So dramatic. They talked for a long time and forgotten me. I would leave them if this conversation take another five minutes.

“Nice to meet you Seongsu, handsome son.”

“Hahahaha thank you..” The woman laughter was made as gracefully as possible. “I’m really you fan, and nice to get to talk to you.”

“Alright, see you again.” Eomma bid a goodbye. Finally.

Eomma pulled me again into the store. She already pulled me in, and I was too late to dodge. Well, just this once Eomma. Eomma eyes already fixed on one of the shoes that was placed on the display tablein the store. Her eyes sparks like a child got  a thousand candies. So childish mom.Her hands mere busy feeling the friction between her skin and the glitter that were arranged neatly on he surface of the shoe. It’s about 12cm in height, high enough for Eomma who was already tall. Why bother buying herself such a high heels.

A girl who was wearing her school uniform entered the store. A boy with thw same uniform came inside together with her. Their hand clasped. Such a lovey dovey. . I’m not jealous of their intimacy, just little fed up with the way they show the world that they were lovers. Human.

Wait a second, their uniform seemed like mine. They are definitely from the sam school as me. Why do I attended the same school with such a human being. What grade are they? Once again, I’m not jealous because I didn’t have a girlfriend. I think human’s love is nothing more than words. The girl was walking quickly pull the boy with her. They walked toward me. Or maybe Eomma. That girl’s eyes have the same sparks as Eomma. The girl liked the same shoes as Eomma. I just read her mind. Forgive my impudence. I didn’t mean to do it. The girl took the left side of shoes, the right side was on Eomma. What did I say? I’m right. But this is not right.

“Oppa, look at this. Is god, isn’t it?” She showed the shoes to the boy beside her. He touched the shoes and seem to consider something. “Good, you can buy this.”

Eomma who heard that phrase give a reflex act. Turned her head facing the couple. Eomma slightly tilted her head to the left. It’s a warning sign, she did it when she didn’t like something. Oh no, eomma can not accept if her choice purchased by others. I have to do something or soon the war will happen in the store.

Aissshhhh.. out of hundreds shos store in this shopping mall, why did this couple went to the sam store as Eomma. I have to spend my energy on this. I blink my eyes, just in a split of secnd. Eomma’s hand already rested on her waist. Right time.i’ve stopped the time in just a right time. I took the shoe from the girl hand. As soon as possible I looking for a pair of shoes that I thought looks better and suited for her. I was just being kind. I run to the side of display table and fortunately there’s a similar shoes, only slightly higher and not to shiny.it’s simple but yet it still pretty. I don’t know much about women’s shoes. I think they were the same but this is pretty I thought. Let’s see, whether my thought is the same as the girl. I came back to our place and put the shoe in that girl’s hand and the other on her boy. I hope it’s not suspicious. I pushed my mother body’s -that was frozen like sculptures- heading to one of the store employee that little bit far from where she was. This is the best. I closed my eyes in a split of second and the clock ticking again.

“Please wrap this up.” I handed a pair of shoes from Eomma’s hand to the employee. The employee took it. Phew.

“Waaah… DO you know how happy I am? Let’s See how’s your father when he saw me in this new shoes.” Her eyes sparkled again. “I would be just like me.”

Okay. It’s clear here. What about that girl? I tried to sharpen my hearing. “Oppa, this shoe is great, isn’t it?” her voice was more cheerful than before. Looks like we have the same thought. You did good Kyungsoo! I have to praised myself for this.

“But..” the boy’s voice caught in my ears. Oh no, please don’t ruin this. I’ve done my best. “I think these shoes are too high. I’m afraid that you might fall.” HELL!!

“Oppa, I will okay with this shoes. I wont fall.” She was trying to convince. “But Krystal, these shoes still look dangerus for you. Too high.”

Oh, so her name is Krystal. Well, her name was as pretty as her face. Who says alien can’t differentiated between beautiful and not? The boy who was called Oppa- although I could, I didn’t intended to find out his name- looked at the girl in frnt of him. A little glint in his eyes showed disapproval.

“These shoes…. It’s not too pretty for you.” He was giving a reason. Krystal gave him a pleading look. The boy sighed. So that’s how human dating? I would never waste my life to date. I wouldn’t  fall in love if it just makes it very difficult.

“Okay, try put on that shoes first, if it does fits you, I’ll buy it for you.” And he was gave up just like that? The human world was crazy. The girl laughed. Tsk. “Gomawo Suhooppa.” So, his name is Suho. I’ve heard his name, I think.

“Kyungsoo-ya, kaja” Eomma’s face have been right in front of me. I’m too focused on Krystal and her lover, I’ve forgot about my mom. She have finished paying her shoes. “Don’t you want to look for another pair? There seems to be a new product.” I pointed at the employee who was arranging few pairs of shoes in the display glass in front. I tried to steal some time. I’m still curious about Krystal and her boy. “Are you sure?” I saw a sparks on mom’s eyes already. I gave her a slight nod. “Allright. Love You my little Soo.” Eomma pat my head and gave me a paperbag of newly purchased shoes, then walked toward the new product displayed. The employee from later followed Eomma behind. And I will continue what I did.

Krystal sat on a small couch not far from where she was standing. Remove her shoes one by one and replace them with the shoes she had been chosen. Suho crouched in front of her, help her put the shoes as a prince who put Cinderella shoes. It is clear that the girl withstand the feel inside her. Am I too much? Well, only me who could saw that because I could heard her voice inside. I’m not presumptuous, she shouted inside. Forced me to hear it. I even enjoy the scenery.

Krystal tried to stand on the shoes. Only three seconds and she began to stumble. She almost lost her balance. She tried to walk now and this time she completely lost her balance. I was running in wind speed and catching the body that would have hit the ground. Don’t forget I stop the time. That’s very important.

Her body was really light. Lighter that my mom. Looks like the shoes was too high. Suho was right about it. Okay Suho, I hope you can do better for your girlfriend. Don’t buy this shoes for her. I made Krystal sat on the floor, to make as if she was fell, but not feeling hurt. I returned to my place, took the paperbag that was tossed on the floor when I’m running. The world ran again.

“You cannot buy that shoes. Too high.” Suho helped Krystal to stood up. Krystal pouted. “Your limit is only 10 cm and I will not tolerate any. Now go find the right shoes.” Krystal took of the shoes and put back her sneaker.stomped her pace as hard as possible to show Suho how she feel. Ah why Krystal walked up to me?

“Step aside!” She said curtly. I shifted to the left and let her randomly took the shoes on display behind me. The shoes looks shorter than before. It did not crossed the limit Suho gave. And I think that shoes was not too bad for Krystal.

Krystal went back to Suho and show the shoes right in front of his eyes, make him step back. Suho gave him a satisfied smile, his hand reached in to his bag and took a black wallet with a skull on top of it. He pulled out a card and handed it to Krystal. “Pay.” Krystal refused, still pouting her lips. She handed the shoes to Suho. “You go pay Oppa!” Suho just smiled. I heard his inside ‘Sorry Krystal, I have to take care of you.’

Krystal was waiting Suho pay the shoes. Her hands were folded across her chest. Her eyebrows knitted. Looks like this girl was really mad. At least, I’ve done something right? The girl gave me a death glare, as if she realize that I was keep my eyes on her. Suho returned with a paper bag with the store logo printed in front of it and handed it to Krystal. “Let’s go home, Eomma call.”

EOMMA? Are they siblings? How could I think they were lovers? And they do like it. And…. Nevermind.

I saw Eomma also back from the cashier, carrying another paper bag with her. A satisfied smile pasted on her face. Sometimes seeing Eomma like this makes me happy too.

“Let me,” I took the paper bag.

“Are you hungry? Let’s eat, I’ve called your father to meet us at the restaurant nearby.”

My happiness washed away. Sigh.

 

Suho

Krystal hand was little sweaty. We walked from the bus stop to our home. Her left hand carrying a newly purchased shoes. A smile hasn’t appeared on her face. I knew she was upset because I didn’t let her to buy what she wants. Sorry Soojung, it’s for you.

Our home is now visible, at the end of the road. This large house only occupied by four of us. Sometimes Jaegil samchoon’s family will visit and stay. Krystal let go of her hand and went first. We have arrived at the front door. Why is she really mad like this. I laughed inside. I followed her from behind. The house was very quiet, there were only few ahjumma that sometimes roam to clean the house. Eomma head could be seen once we enter. She was sitting on the couch.

“Oh Suho, Krystal, you’re home? I have something to talk to you guys.” Eomma greet us without even looking as soon as we came behind her. Krystal went back to the front door and placed her new shoes in the closet near the door. “You say it.” Krystal whisper to me when she was back and take a seat on the couch near Eomma.

I’m sitting next to Krystal. Eomma began crossed her arms over her chest. How can this mother-daughter have the same act.

“Where have you been?” Eomma asked very calmly. But her calmness grow a nervousness inside me. “Afternoon… class..” I replied, lied. “Oh maybe yur teacher didn’t see you because he just called me to ask about you two.”

Krystal didn’t gave a ny answer and kept silence. “Suho?” Eomma looking at me, expecting an answer from me. I swallowed hard, tried to calm my self down.

“I’m sorry, I took Krystal for a walk because I was a little bored with th lesson.” I hope eomma didn’t ask any further with this answer. Eomma stood up from her seat. I hung my head low, avoiding eye contact. I could saw eomma’s feet were parallel to mine. “You are at your senior year Suho, don’t messed up with it. You shouldn’t have waste your time.”

“Ne Eomma..” I replied. “Now go upstairs and wash up. Appa was waiting for dinner.”

“Where?” Krystal ask, her lips still pursed.

“Don’t ask, just get ready.” Krystal didn’t argue, she stood up and walked up to her room. Maybe she doesn’t walk but stomped up the stairs, leave me and Eomma alone.

“So where did she ask you to go actually?” Mom always knew it. And she back to my Eomma, kind and caring.

“SUHO OPPA I HATE YOU!!!” Krystal shout could be heard from where I and Eomma was.

“What’s wrong with her?” Eomma laughed.

“I didn’t let her to buy shoes higher than 10cm and…” I shrugged.

Eomma couldn’t hold her laughter and laugh out loud. “You did good my son.” Eomma my hair. “I’ll help you make-up with her. Now go wash up.” Eomma strocked again my hair. There were nothing better than this.

“Ne eomma.” I kiss my mom’s cheek to show how I love her.

 

 

 

Kyungsoo

It’s been almost an hour Eomma circling the streets of Apgujeong. It has been more than three times we passed this street. I sighed when once again Eomma turn o the sam road. I put my forehead on he car window. Cant do anything about it.

“Eomma, why don’t we just call Appa?” I fish out my phone. “Andwae.” Eomma stopped me and grabbed my phone. Her eyes still focused on the road. Sigh. Take it, I don’t need it anyway.

“Appa, where are ou?” I suddenly spoke. Aha, Eomma, you forgot about the alien’s blood that was flow inside me?

‘My car was right behind yours. Your mom didn’t even tell me where’s the restaurant.’ I heard Appa voice and looked at Eomma. She turn her head to me and smile like innocent. “Actually, I’m the one who ask him to have dinner outside. But I forgot where the restaurant was.”

“What’s the nam?” I asked. “La Sfera.” I repeat Eomma’s answer so Appa could heard. Then Appa’s car looks precedes our car and guide us to the right path. Less than 15 minutes, the two cars already parked in the park lot. I should’ve asked Eomma earlier about this restaurant name, we’ve been passed this restaurant few times while we were circling earlier.

 

 

 

 

Krystal

Dad’s car could be seen from a distance and begins to stop when arrived in front of our house. I’ve made a request to Eomma that I will sat with her at the back seat. Let Suho oppa sat on passanger seat. I’m still angry with him and I don’t want to talk with him. Appa drove his car leave the house. After twenty minutes we finally arrived at the most famous Italian restaurant in gangnam. La Sfera, the restaurant located in Apgujeong. After Appa  parks his car we get our from the car and entered the restaurant. I love this restaurant so much. The place, the food, and some handsome chefs.

Two waiters came to our table as soon as we sat. one of them hand a menus while the other pouring water into our glass. The witer who pours water then left and headed for another table after gave a slight bow to us. The waiter write own our order after 3 minutes scanning the book. Granchio for Appa, Pancetta for Oppa, Pasta Gamberoni for Eomma and Spaghetti al Forno for me. The waiter gave a bow after repeat our order to confirm.

The table across us also seemed to pick something in the menu book. Two men are on the table was only keep quiet when the only woman ordered food to the waiter for them. Ah, I think I’ve seen that boy before. He is the one in the shoe store , isn’t he? He didn’t even changed his clothes. Maybe he immediately heade here. I didn’t notice him much longer. Better had a conversation with my family.

“Ah, Soojung-ah, is that new?” Appa pointed under the table. so weird.

“Appa, call me Krystal.” I pursed my lips.

“I’m sorry my beautiful daughter. But your shoes look so pretty, even your father forget to call you properly.” Here my daddy go. He’s really funny.

“Really?” But that word became a moodbooster for me. I looked down the table. my shoes does look pretty, I just realized it. It’s comfortable too.

“Did your oppa bought it for you?” I nodded. I could saw my Oppa smiled.

“Have you thanks him?” Eomma asked. Sigh.I don’t want to.

“Seems like you haven’t say thanks. Say thanks!” Appa force me to.

Sigh. Sigh. Sigh. Fine! “Gomawo Oppa.” Suho Oppa just nodded.

 

 

 

Kyungsoo

I want to have a sister or brother. Whatever. Because I really hate it, when Appa only talk to Eomma and left me. This restaurant was quite crowded tonight. And it really bothers me. Being a humalien that have sharper hearing than humans forced me to listen to all, I really mean all, the conversation going on in this restaurant. Why did Appa not even bothered by it? I couldn’t understand. Perhaps because Appa is an alien and I just a humalien. We have differences in Power Control.

I look around the table, find something to escape this boredom. I saw a glass in front of Appa. The waiter filled the glass with water when we make an order. I already made my glass empty before. After look around, I fixed my eyes on the glass and pulled it with telepathy. The glass stopped in front of me.   I took the glass and planed to drink that in one shot. How many second I took to empty this glass. I wanted to challenge it. I put the side of glass on my lips. Ready… Set.. Go.. I drink the water and almost make the glass empty.

“Appa, call me Krystal.” Huk? I choked. Krystal? I put down the glass and turned my head to the source of the voice. She was at the table across mine. Krystal, Suho and two adults. Maybe their parents. I heard their conversation of course and decide to focus on them. Another conversation was so boring. And their conversation seems interesting, and their table not too far from mine. I could clearly heard them. I looked away once Krystal or Suho noticed me. Why did I never met this girl at school? And still continued what I did until the food of each table came. Dinner time was running perfectly. I saw Krystal and her family stood up along with mine. Appa told me to took a cab to go home. He and Mom have to go somewhere first before they went homw. You can say it, dating. Whatever, I’m just going home and sleep.

 

 

 

A little gift from author

Enjoy reading