From Zero, To One

(Not) Everything Has Changed

a/n: just curios of August 15, I dunno.

 

 

Luhan furrows her eyebrows in desperation.

She is still deep in thought ever since this morning, about the daily math quizzes that she receives from her online math community. If she remembers well, question number 2 and 13 had been plaguing her mind earlier this day. She used to do these stuffs just fine, more like she takes these quizzes as a part of her daily routine. Her morning feels off without doing math problems,( well she only does this when she has time). Seems like it’s not only Sehun who’s rusty.

By today, it marks Sehun’s tenth day as Sooman High School student, and also perfectly a month before the final test which determines whether they can advance to the third grade or not. Frankly speaking, Luhan takes this just fine.  Of course, she is a model student with excellent brain perfect for studying. All she got to do is just review a little, work a little bit on her weak points and voila, straight As waiting for her.

Tough she doesn’t want to admit it out loud; a little part of her, just a little part, feels a little bit worried for Sehun. He’s got only a month to catch up with three years spent in the hospital. It’s not like Sehun is not smart, she’ll be insulting him if she says that. Even Sehun used to be in the smart kids category, entering the Top 10 of their class. Well this lasted only for their first three years during elementary, but still, Sehun was intelligent by genes despite his lack of efforts. In fact Luhan admits, even for someone with brain capacities like her thinks that knowledge that is mastered in three years to be mastered by a month is still too much. She can’t help but to expect Sehun not being with her next year, or maybe if the teachers decide to cut him some slack, he’ll be able to get to the next grade, with terms and conditions applied.

As half of her brain fiddles with math problems and other half with Sehun, the latter magically approaches her as if knowing that she has just thought about him.

Ohayo gosaimazzu Luhan!” The boy before her takes the seat in front of her, casually folding his arms on her desk. Automatically, Luhan’s thoughts disarray magically too by the sound of Sehun’s not-so-ear-pleasing broken Japanese, leaving Luhan cringing a tiny bit because she almost finished the perfect formula to finish problem number 2. She was so close to write the equal sign in her mind, and Sehun just had to waltz in and mutter incorrect phrases.

At Luhan’s grotesque face, Sehun laughs and flicks the bridge that connects the left and right parts of her glasses, in an attempt to make her to join his laugh. Tough the girl just remains flat as she tries to collect each and every part of her thoughts before they were broken by Sehun just now.

“You like anime, right? We used to watch Naruto at 5, do you remember?”

“It’s supposed to be ohayou gozaimasu, correct that first.” Luhan rolls her eyes.

Sehun smiled at Luhan. If this happened during the first day they met, Sehun could’ve swore that Luhan would send a flying leaf kick or something at his head to make sure he won’t be able to talk again. Good thing that Sehun is one hell of a persistent kid that he kept on talking to Luhan from the first day up to now. If he calculated well, the past nine days, he talked to Luhan anytime he could; during class, at PE, at break time, outside school, anytime (when no one talked to Sehun)  At first he Luhan shooed him away (even when he had just said: ”Hi Luhan, what are you doing here?”), but he didn’t give up. It was indeed a great choice, because his efforts weren’t wasted. A shoo turns into silence and then turns into facial expressions and then finally turns into words. Sehun knows he knows Luhan well. She looks tough to crack but if you pound a little harder, you can see the sweet side of Luhan. He knows the Luhan he’s facing now isn’t as sweet as she used to be, but just a little bit more he hopes Luhan can come back.( Tough a little bit seems stretched.  Actually it’s still far.)

“Alright, alright. Anyway did you know what happened to the bubble tea shop that we used to visit? They closed! I don’t even get why they didn’t make it, I mean they made the best chocolate bubble teas in the world…”

Sehun begins the rambling session, which somehow becomes a part of their daily lives, with Sehun trailing a few steps behind Luhan each morning and then forces her to listen to his stories. Luhan isn’t the best partner when it comes to chatting, and Sehun knows that. Luhan will usually nod after a few lines, or hum something incoherent, eyes never leaving whatever she’s doing at the moment. (Well nodding and humming counted as progress. She didn’t even look at him in the past).

Why Luhan? Obviously, he’s been trying to win her heart back. He wants his old deer back and he’s striving to revert her back to the original Lulu. Not only that, but his knowledge of this world and everything about it dated back to three years ago, and the only one which shares the same world as he does will be Luhan. Yes he can use the internet to stay updated with current news, but he cannot use the internet to share his memories.

Only Luhan will be able to do that.

But the current Luhan is not cooperating.

“Are you even listening, Lulu?” Sehun waves his right hand in front of Luhan, getting her attention. He has been talking about the bubble tea shop, their favorite flavors, how the noona there was very nice, how he didn’t able to chew the pearls well, and etcetera. He even asked Luhan to come with him to the bubble tea shop.

Luhan nods, but her eyes are closed and her fingers are massaging her temples, as if she’s been trying her best to solve a super hard math problem (his deduction turns out to be true, but Sehun doesn’t need to know). Doesn’t this mean that Luhan agrees to come? Nah.

Sehun is not convinced.

“Hey come on… You’re not even looking at me.” Sehun whines, and Luhan keeps moving her head up and down aimlessly.

“So you want to grab bubble tea with me? Really?” Sehun sparkles his mouth gaping wide and inches closer to Luhan, and by the time he does that, the bell rings loudly.

“Hold your horses Oh Sehun. The bubble tea shop unnie closed the shop because she got married, and no. I’m not going with you.” Luhan taps his chin to close his mouth, resulting Sehun to widen his eyes and immediately gets up.

Oh how he misses that gesture. In the past Luhan used to tap his chin a lot. The gesture even has a name. It’s called Sehun’s On and Off Button, whenever Luhan presses the imaginary button, Sehun will revert from JPG to GIF vice versa. Oh Sehun in the past wasn’t like the Oh Sehun he is today. He used to be small, quiet, and thus bullied. He wasn’t all smiles, and Luhan would always be the one to remind him whether to smile or not, by tapping his chin.

Another thing that keeps Sehun parasitizing Luhan’s desk is that, she actually listens. She listens to everything that he talks about and remembers even the tiniest detail of it. He often wonders just what in the world is she, because she always does something else while listening to him. Though always ended up rejected, Sehun never minds being treated like that. He lets a smile graces his lips as he walks back to his seat.

 

Little to his knowing, that behind his retreating back, certain someone is also smiling because she has just gotten the answer of question number 2 not because of Sehun, definitely not because of him.