Cupid 4

Angel

Sometimes when writing, I will go back to read the earlier chapters...and I can confidently tell you now - I hate Chapter 2 xD But I am too lazy to amend anything. Anyway it was needed, maybe just that I could have presented it better =X Anyway, here is Chapter 4.

“Done!” Dongwan announces, taking a step back to admire his “artwork”. A roguish and satisfied smile spread across his face as the upside-down Hyesung flaunt in front of him.

“Thank you!” He hears Eunjung chirps as she enters her bedroom. The grateful smile on her face never last long though. As soon as her eyes land on the posters, a gape replaces it. All of them were at the mercy of Dongwan’s creativity and are mounted in bizarre ways onto the wall. The angel’s finest achievement is the lonely Hyesung sitting behind the door. When Eunjung finally gets over the shock, she squint her eyes, marking Dongwan like a predator eyeing the prey. She advances menacingly towards the angel.

Dongwan backs away, raising his hands in mock surrender.

“KIM…DONG…WAN…” Each syllabus is enunciated slowly and deliberately.

“Yes?” Dongwan tries the innocent act, still backing away. “I…I have help you put up the posters.”

“I can see that.” Eunjung’s attack is quick and sudden, but the angel skillfully swirls and dodges. A game of catching soon follows. Eunjung puffs out through when she finally gives up on catching the angel. She sits beside the bed decorated by Andy, head leaning against the bed frame. Dongwan is too fast for her. The angel smiles and walks towards her, his gentle eyes emitting a warmness that never fails to touch Eunjung’s heart since the first time she saw him in the hospital. When he sits beside her, Eunjung lazily lifts her hand and taps his arms. “Caught you,” she says. Dongwan chuckles and likewise leans against the bed, enjoying the silent night.

It has been a long day. The time when he was accompanying Eunjung at the hospital seemed like eons ago, but it was just in the morning. Coming over to the apartment, Dongwan is forced to face reality.

“I need to get a job” Eunjung pronounces suddenly.

“Okay! We can start the job hunt tomorrow.” Dongwan is supportive. He turns in to Eunjung and sees that she has already dozed off, her breathing light and even. Dongwan watches the peaceful sleeping face. He let out a sigh before carrying Eunjung to her bed.

This is a start of a new chapter for Dongwan, living in the apartment that was the beginning of myths and ending of stories.

***

“You are here.” The arch angel said when Dongwan just entered the palace. His face was unreadable, but Dongwan sensed the sadness in his voice.

“What is it Junjin?” Dongwan asked.

“I want to tell you about the fallen one…”

Dongwan stiffened. There had been much hearsay, everyone in heaven knows a little, but the real context was never known. The angels that witnessed how the fallen one came to diminution had never spoken. And now Junjin had summoned him to tell.

Junjin waited patiently for Dongwan to get over the shock. When Dongwan was finally able to meet Junjin’s eyes, the arch angel continued, “The fallen one was the leader of the love division. I believe you already know that.” Dongwan nodded.

“The angel lord herself chose him to lead the division. He was the angel that more humans believe in than any one of us. They called him cupid, but he looked nothing like what they portray him to be. He is bold and dashing.” Dongwan listened intently, waiting for Junjin to reveal his intention of telling this to him, a fledgling angel that hasn’t yet gotten his wings.

Junjin held Dongwan’s gaze, then when he thought that Dongwan was ready, he said it…

***

Eunjung awakes to the lovely smell of breakfast the following morning. She never knows Dongwan can cook since this is her first morning spent not as a patient. After washing up, she walks towards the kitchen, only pausing when Dongwan’s voice enters her ears. “Soft-boiled egg, soft-boiled egg. Because of you, tonight, I’m not lonely at all… …”

Eunjung stands outside the kitchen, listening to the faintly familiar tune. When she finally enters, Dongwan who is in front of the stove and wearing an apron looks up at her.

“You are awake! I’ve look through the job portal and printed out the job positions you might be interested in. It’s on the table.” Dongwan pointed to the dining table not too far away. “Breakfast will be ready in a while.”

“Dongwan-ah, you don’t have to do all these…”

The angel grins. “Tell that to my boss up there.” He points upwards. But this is not the duty the angel lord had assigned him. This is an obligation he imposed on himself...for a reason. After breakfast is done, Dongwan brings it over.

“Dongwan-ah, the song that you were singing earlier…I think I heard it before.”

“The soft boil egg? I wrote it.” The angel raises his head and sees Eunjung’s confuse look. “I got bored waiting for you to wake up so I sang to entertain myself in the hospital. I guess you have already awoken and just refused to open your eyes so you heard my song. Lazy pig!” He pinches Eunjung’s nose lightly.

***

Minwoo stands rooted to the entrance of the building, overcome by guilt. His behaviour was revolting the day before, especially when he asked Eric to rot in his lobby. Eric should not have risk his life so carelessly, but still, it did not give Minwoo any right to treat Eric this way. The man has been holding on till now only because of him.

“Mingbongie!” The cheerful voice enters his ear and brings him back from his reverie. A hand grabs his right ear and starts playing with it, folding it into half and then twisting and turning it. A smile spreads across Minwoo’s face. “How are you feeling, Eric?” He asks.

“Better.” Eric let go of his ear and moves back to his seat. “I wish I have ears that soft.” He mutters to himself before raising his head to his computer and clicking around. Minwoo follows him.

“University?” Minwoo an eyebrow, looking at Eric’s screen. “You are looking at furthering your study at this age?”

Eric chuckles. “You know I am too old for anything! Just checking on Andy. He is doing very well; got perfect score for his last semester.” The smile on Eric’s face grows as if he was a proud dad.

“What is the use of having good academy if he is lying to everyone around him?” Minwoo says curtly.

Eric heaves a sigh. “Minwoo-ah, stop trapping yourself in the past. I know you don’t want anyone to replace her, but Andy is our second chance to happiness.”

Minwoo’s eyes widen. “You are really going to replace her with him?” He whispers in disbelief.

“I am not replacing her, Minbong-ah.” Eric pleads. “It’s just…It’s just that Andy feels too much like her. It is like she is back by my side. And I don’t want to miss this chance.”

Minwoo bites his lips as his gaze drops to the ground. It is true Andy gives a strong illusion she is back. There are times he was tempted to let Andy fill that void within him, but he is clear Andy is not her. He was told he will never be able to find her soul again, no matter how many times she is reincarnated. And Minwoo is afraid if he allows himself to accept the young man, the last of her will be lost to him…the precious memories he has been holding on to...

“Minbong…” Eric pleaded again. “Haven’t we been punished enough? Why are you still doing this to yourself on top of what they had done to us? You have to try to let go and move on.”

“Eric, I don’t want to talk about this.” His feelings for her and the guilt towards her and Eric are following him like phantoms, never giving him a single moment of peace. She lost her life because of him. Eric lost his freedom because of him. How can he just simply walk out of the past and be happy? Losing his happiness is the only punishment he can have, and he feels he deserve it. Eunjung comes down from the stairs at that moment, providing him with an escape. He raises his head and asks casually “Who are you talking to?”

“Huh? I…” Eunjung turns her head back looking up at the stairs before turning to Minwoo. “I wasn’t talking to anyone.”

Minwoo frowns and looks over to the screen showing the images from the security camera. Like what Eunjung says, there was no one on the screen. But he was certain he heard a male’s voice.

“Hey Eunjung. Going out?” Eric asks.

“Yup. I’m going for a job interview!” Eunjung smiles, to which Eric replies a simple “good luck”. He cannot help but feels a tinge of sadness every time he sees Eunjung after the accident. After Eunjung left, he turns back to Minwoo. “Minwoo…”

The shorter man cuts him off. “Eric…I think one of them is here.”

Fear creeps into Eric’s heart involuntarily…are they really back?

How many of you recognised Wannie's egg song? xD If you don't, youtube it. He uploaded that in his blog before he deleted the entire blog.

I added Ricmin, Mindy and Ricdy to the tags, since there are obviously something special among them.

Now tell me what you think about the fallen one. Any guess who he/she is? =)

P.S: Hyesung is still not mentioned yet.