Cupid 1

Angel

I am so sorry! Rewrote the chapter because I feel that the character development is all wrong before >.< Wannie sounded like some angel in depression xD 

Please re-read again if you read Chapter 1 before 9 November 2014. Major overhaul!

Contrary to popular belief, angels do not naturally have wings. It is bestowed to them by the higher angels, like medals confer to soldiers, or degrees confer to students. It is a form of recognition, also an indication for greater duties and responsibilities to come.

Kim Dongwan flaps his wings awkwardly, his flight jerky and unstable. He is still a neophyte in flying, with wings just bestowed upon him minutes ago by one of haven’s highest arch angel. He curses the arch angel silently for making the exit of the portal to the mortal realm a good 40,000 feet above land, but deep down he is thankful for the solitude. As much as he is a loquacious man, occasionally he still needs the time to be alone. To recharge; and to appreciate the little wonders in the world that are easily overlook by most people.

With wonderment like a child, Dongwan quickly forgets how disgruntle he was being thrown into the sky like this. He looks around in awe, wishing that he can capture the beauty in a picture.

After roaming in the air for a good thirty minutes, the man spots a commercial aircraft. His lips transform into a smirk as he advances towards it, resting himself on the metallic wing of the man-made transportation. The people inside will not be able to see him. Dongwan turns his head, finally able to admire his new wings. They are like a pair of magnified swan wings; only whiter, purer and emits a soft white glow.

White is the mark for angels in the division of purity and innocence. Junjin, the angel who had bestowed Dongwan with the wings (also the angel Dongwan had been cursing earlier), is the leader and representative of the division in the angel council. He was once chosen to lead the entire angel clan, but the arch angel had denied the position. Till today, he remains as one of the most respected angels in haven. The arch angel’s wings are a hundred times more marvelous than Dongwan’s, but for now, Dongwan is contented with what he got. He stretches his hand and caresses the soft feathers, his lips curling upwards as his eyes reflects the air of innocence beneath their irises.

After reaching land, Dongwan effortlessly located the hospital and ward. This is his very first duty, assigned to him by the angel lord herself. He marches through the door confidently, but falls into a daze the moment his gaze lands on the patient’s face. It is as if she is dreaming a beautiful dream, but Dongwan knows it is not so. She is in a comma. He takes a step forward; eyes remain on the delicate features. His heart thumps nervously against his chest. Unknowingly, he is already by the side of the bed. His hand gently pushes her fringe out of her eyes, revealing her entire face. Dongwan cannot help but stare. She looks better in person as compared to the past three months when Dongwan had been watching her from haven.

“Junjin…I promise you I’ll be back safely.” The man says and starts counting down to when the patient will finally regain her conscious. Six minutes, to be exact.

“Eunjung?” Dongwan asks curiously when the time is up. Did Junjin give him the wrong information? He squint his eyes and looks at the pretty face worryingly, until he observes the patient’s lids moving.

“Eunjung? Are you awake?” Dongwan bends down; face directly above Eunjung’s. Her eyes suddenly open, causing Dongwan to start. He laughs at his own silliness and backs away.

“Hello Eunjung, I am your guardian angel.”

***

For the longest time, Eunjung’s conscious had been enjoying the tranquillity and respite darkness provided, but it changes when the light came. Eunjung feels something restraining her, restricting her freedom. She is annoyed until it dawns on her she is back in her body!

She hears a deep soothing voice saying her name, but she is not sure if it is real. Being unaccustomed to the glaring rays, Eunjung scrunches her lids tightly against each other. “Eunjung…are you awake?” The voice comes nearer, signifying that it is not something her mind is making up. The light shining through her lids dims slightly and Eunjung forces open her eyes.

The sight steals her breath away. The corners of the beautifully drawn lips in front of her curve into a smile warm enough to melt the coldest heart. Eunjung’s gaze shifts higher and is greeted by a pair of soft, gentle but stunning eyes.

The man who possesses the warm smile and striking eyes backs away. Even in her befuddlement, Eunjung’s brain mildly registers him as unearthly gorgeous. The man tilts his head; figure casting a shadow against the sunlight that shines through the window from behind him, making him seems like an angel who just descends from haven.

“Hello Eunjung, I am your guardian angel.”

It is hard for Eunjung not to believe. Even though she does not know him, she feels a mystical bond between them. It is as if the angel knows her mind, the corners of his lips lift lightly as the warm smile appears again.

“I am Dongwan.” Dongwan says amicably, unable to hide the excitement in his tone. “You had an accident 3 months ago and had been in a comma ever since. But don’t worry; I am here to help you get back with your life!” Dongwan’s eyes dart to the door for a short moment before training back to Eunjung. “Your brother is here. He can’t see me so please don’t frighten him by acknowledging me in his presence.”

Eunjung nods. The door swings open and a young man sharing her features comes into sight. The same single eyelids, cute cherry lips and dimples that show when they smile. Only their eyebrows and nose are different. Eunjung has elegantly arch eyebrows and a small shape nose that resembles her late mother whereas her brother follows their father’s.

The man freezes on the spot; the hue of his eyes reflecting a series of complicated emotions.

“He is Andy, your brother.” The angel says as if Eunjung does not know who Andy is. “He has been visiting you every single day since the accident.” Eunjung’s heart aches. Their parents had died in a plane crash years ago, and Andy was forced to mature before his age. The poor boy is just a university student juggling between his scholarship and work; but now Eunjung has becomes another burden to him.

“Andy…” Eunjung struggles to get up. The young man quickly rushes over to help her.

“Noona!” Andy’s voice quivers, the pain in it hammering at Eunjung’s heart. “I thought I am going to lose you too.” Andy sniffs. Eunjung hugs the younger man, tears falling uncontrollably.

Dongwan turns away and let out a soft destitute sigh. His right hand subconsciously goes to the silver bracelet on his other hand, feeling for its existence. It is actually a powerful charm given by the arch angel, to protect his heart.

“Has the doctor come by?” Andy asks, pulling back slightly and wiping Eunjung’s tears with his thumb. Eunjung shakes her head.

“I’ll call them.” Andy says gently, leaning in to kiss Eunjung on the cheek before advancing to the intercom. The doctor informs that Eunjung can be discharged if her condition is stable for the next three days.

Just like what Dongwan described, the young man comes to keep Eunjung accompany everyday. Eunjung sits on the edge of the bed waiting for Andy the day she is to be discharged.

“He is bringing a friend, Eric Mun, also your landlord.” Dongwan beams at Eunjung. “He owns the entire apartment building…”

“And he also acts as the security guard of the building right?” Eunjung chuckles and teases the angel. She wonders if all angels are like Dongwan, good-naturedly explaining everything to people who had awoken from comma, even when they already know, or is this an exceptional cute trait of her angel? Regardless, she is thankful for Dongwan’s existence.

Dongwan flashes a look that resembles kids learning that their parents already know something they wanted to show off about. Before Eunjung can react to the cute expression, Eric and Andy enter the room.

“Hey Eunjung.” Eric greets, sounding lethargic and without his usual cheerfulness.

“Eric-ah, why do I sense discontentment in your tone? You are not glad that I am going back to the apartment?” Eunjung asks playfully. Eric stares at her dumbfounded. The tall man quickly glances over his shoulder at Andy when Eunjung turns back to get her bag. Andy frowns and shakes his head lightly, begging the older man not to say anything.

“How can I not be happy about that?” Eric chuckles softly with no tint of happiness in the laugh. He takes Eunjung’s bag from her and turns back to Andy. “Andy-ah, bring your sister to the car. I’ll go and make payment.”

The siblings walk towards the parking space slowly; Andy accommodating to his sister’s pace. Dongwan trudges behind them, his brows deep in furrow as he studies the young man. The vibes he feels from Andy perturbs him. Was Andy like this for the past two days? Or was Dongwan too eager about Eunjung to notice Andy?

“What happen to Eric? Why is he so tired and lifeless today?” Eunjung asks. Dongwan feels a sudden sting. He had totally forgotten about Eric’s condition.

Andy shrugs a little too carelessly, “Money? Relationship? There can be a lot of reasons that we’ll never know.”

Eunjung shakes her head, genuinely worried for the landlord. “I don’t think those are the reasons.” Eric is good-looking and loaded, yet the man has an almost non-existence social life as he chooses to sit in the lobby and double up as the security guard of his own building. The furthest Eric is willing to travel is always to Minwoo’s café that is just next door. Today is one of the rare times Eric actually walks further than that. With a character like this, Eunjung believes money and relationship will be the last thing on Eric’s mind.

“Maybe he is just worried about you?” Dongwan suggests, forcing his gaze away from Andy.

“Worry about me?” Eunjung repeats, forgetting that Andy cannot see or hear Dongwan.

“What?” Andy asks.

“Noth…Nothing.” Eunjung says quickly. Without Dongwan’s words, it sounded as if she was suggesting Eric likes her. She hears Dongwan laugh and tries her best not to turn over and glare at him. Andy unlocks the car and opens the door for Eunjung before going into the front passenger seat. Dongwan casually plops down beside Eunjung.

“Noona…” Andy turns his head and look at Eunjung apprehensively. Dongwan narrows his eyes at Andy, dreading what the younger man is going to say. “I…Nevermind.” Andy shakes his head and turns back, leaving Eunjung astonish at his behaviour. The last thing she has imagined Andy doing is being cagey towards his own sister.

Dongwan shuts his eyes and swallows as Junjin’s words before Dongwan entered the portal echo in his mind – “You will hurt yourself…the fallen one is there…” He has to be strong!

When Eric returns, he seems more fatigue than before. His expression is still grim and he avoids looking at Eunjung. Dongwan secretly casts a shielding spell on the tall man that should disperse by the time they reach the apartment. He turns over and sees the confounded Eunjung with tears in her eyes. Dongwan lifts his hand and rests them on hers, “Don’t worry. They had been through a lot. Everything will be fine now that you are awake.”

***AN***

I have adopted Zzang19's idea of Wannie learning how to fly! xD I hope this Wannie sounds more like the real life Wannie. ^^

(Publish 22 Ocotber. Rewrote on 9 November 2014)