Cupid 2

Angel

Sorry for taking forever >.< I am unhappy with my writing, yet again. The 2nd half of this chapter just does not seem smooth enough, but I think I dragged long enough so I am posting it. It is so hard to write T.T I just realised I had no experience with introduction chapters because my previous two stories are really about Shinhwa.

The journey to Eric’s apartment is quiet. No one speaks. At least that is in the view of Eric and Andy. None of the human has the mood to start chatting, with each of them traps in their own cluttering thoughts and feelings. Eunjung will very much appreciate the same solitude to muse about the change in her brother and her friend, but Dongwan is denying her that. She lightly gnaws on her lower lips, listening to the non-stop chattering of the angel. From the shops to the trees; from the random passer-by to the birds by the pavement. Dongwan can comment on almost every detail on the street. And worse of all, Eunjung cannot reply or hush him.

It was tremendous relief for Eunjung when the car finally pulls in in front of Eric’s building. Dongwan is the first to alight. He simply walks through the door without waiting for Eric to unlock it. The angel raises his head, eyes narrowing into two tiny slits against the bright glaring sunrays.

The building towering over him is not exactly grand, standing at just 6 stories high, but the aura radiating from it is the most compelling thing to any angels or enchanted beings. An orange glow unseen by human surrounds the building and spreads to a few blocks beside it.

The last spell casted by the fallen one.

The angel turns in to Eric. The owner of the building is helping Eunjung with her luggage, unaware of the acute gaze on him. Eric leads the siblings into the building before excusing himself to go through the security cameras’ footage.

Dongwan follows Andy and Eunjung into the lift, his heart beating too fast against his ribcage. Despite Junjin’s charm, his heart is feeling something... He inhales deeply, trying to calm himself. Dongwan is about to enter the house when Eunjung pauses at the entrance.

Eunjung’s eyes scan the meticulously decorated interior. It is warm and cosy, but this is not her home. “Andy, have you refurbished the house?” She asks.

“Yes noona…I thought it would be good for you to have a change in environment.” Andy answers, taking off his shoes and entering the house casually. Eunjung watches the younger man advances to the center of the living room and sitting himself on an orange couch that has replaced something else. Her heart feels a sudden stab.

“We have the money to do this and we let Eric pay for my hospital bills?” She is starting to doubt if the man in front is really Andy. That is not how she had brought Andy up. Her brother will never try to take advantage of anyone…

“Noona…”

“I suggested for him to do this. Don’t you think it looks fresher?” Eric appears at their door, a light smile plaster on his face. The best smile he can muster as he tries to mask his feelings. “Rest well Eungjung-ah. Stop worrying so much.” He nags before turning to the younger man who is walking over to him. He hands Eunjung’s bag over. “I’ll return to the lobby, calls me if you need anything.” Eric says loudly before lowering his voice. “Look for me when you are done.” He tells Andy.

Andy nods. He looks at the receding back of the older man until he disappears at the corner of the flight of stairs before closing the door. Eric wants an explanation, and he will give one to him. But that does not mean the entire truth.

The flitting sympathy on Eric’s face never escaped Eunjung earlier and she freezes to the spot. Her thought immediately jumps to Andy. Eunjung’s heart paces up and she turns to her brother. Did something bad happen to him in the past 3 months? She turns and looks over at her angel. Dongwan scrutinizing gaze on Andy does not reassure her.

“Noona, I will shift back home tomorrow.” Andy says, walking in with Eunjung’s bag.

“Don’t!” Eunjung whips around; shaken by her brother’s sudden proposal. Andy’s university is far from their house and it will be tough for him not staying in the dorm.

“I miss you…” Andy says matter-of-factly.

“Tell me honestly Andy,” Eunjung says, looking at the younger man. She will never allow Andy to shift out of his dorm, and she has more pressing issues she wants to know. “What happened in the past three months? You never keep any secrets from me since mum and dad left us…”

“I…I am just worry about you, noona.” The voice is quiet and sincere, but Andy’s gaze refuses to meet Eunjung’s. Within seconds, red rims form around his eyes and tears fall silently to the timber flooring.

It breaks Eunjung’s heart. Her eyes threaten to mimic Andy’s and she walks over to hug the younger man.

Dongwan turns away, unable to accept what Andy is doing…It hurts him. Junjin had said, he feels for all unjust and misfortune; that was why he was chosen as an angel; the deeds that he did when he was still human. The pain that douses him is unbearable. Dongwan knows he has to find Hyesung quickly. He needs the man to take care of Eunjung.

“Will you be okay living alone?” Andy mumbles between his sobs.

“Pabo-ya!” Eunjung the back of Andy’s head. “How did I survive the past two years when you are in the dorm?”

Andy pulls away and pouts stubbornly, causing his sister’s lips curl into a smile.

“Tell you what. I’ll keep disturbing Eric okay?” Eunjung tells. The landlord needs a social life too.

“Call me if you are lonely.” Andy says commandingly. Eunjung nods like an obedient child. She will promise Andy anything to make his mind at ease. She holds Andy’s palm and drags him deeper into the house. “I want to see how good a designer my brother is!”

After they explore the newly decorated kitchen and the living room, Eunjung wants to see her own room. Her steps stop abruptly when she pushes open the door.

“Noona?” Andy asks apprehensively.

Eunjung stares at her new bed. A pink canopy surrounds it, making it looks like a princess bed out of a Disney movie. Eunjung’s mind is brought to a time when their parents were still around. “Did you make this all by yourself?” Her voice quivers.

Andy nods. “I remember noona wanted a princess bed when we were younger.” A faint smile appears on Eunjung’s face but her eyes get all teary.

“Your Shin Hyesung’s posters…” The angel says out of the blue. An abrupt statement that changes the atmosphere in the room. Eunjung looks around and the bare walls suddenly seem odd.

“Oh my god! Andy-ah, where are all my Hyesung’s posters?”

“I…” Andy fumbles. He was nervous when they were coming into her room. But this is not the reaction he expects. Andy gives a bitter chuckle. Does Hyesung even deserve this? He is just an entertainer that does not know the existence of Eunjung! “I kept them in the store.” Andy says coldly. When Eunjung advances towards the store, he shouts urgently, “Noona, the store is locked! I lost the key.”

Eunjung pauses, guilt-ridden by how much she has caused Andy to worry. It is not Andy to be losing something easily. He is the most organized person she knew. “It’s okay Andy-ah. It must be lying somewhere in the house. We’ll find it soon.”

After Andy left, Eunjung walks around the unfamiliar setting, studying every detail, every decoration carefully put up by her brother. She picks up a photo frame by the television. In it was a photo of the siblings when they were younger. She smiles, places it back and picks up another photo; it is her mum and dad.

“Andy misses them.” She says quietly and turns to Dongwan. He has an expressionless face. But Eunjung notices his stiff hand clutching his bracelet.

“Dongwan, are you alright?”

“Huh?” Dongwan breaks out of his reverie. He looks at Eunjung, “Sorry, I was dazing…do you want your Shin Hyesung’s posters?”

“Andy lost the key.”

Dongwan gives a smug smirk. “I am an angel my dear Eunjung!” With that, he disappears into thin air in front of Eunjung.  But he is not prepared for what awaits him in the store…

***

“Why did you do that?” Eric asks the younger man when he sees Andy walking down the stairs.

“Hyung…”Andy hesitates.

“How did you get the money?” Eric interrogates.

“I…I have savings.”

“Is that so?” The older man asks with a hurtful voice. He looks at Andy. “Where are the things?” The younger man remains quiet.

“Andy-ah, if you refuse to open up I can’t help you!” Eric says frustrated. The tears well up in his eyes, but he refuses to let them flow. “And I want to help you…” he adds sincerely.

“Eric hyung…it wasn’t me. It was me but it wasn’t my idea…”