Three

Every Breathless Moment

The child held onto her father as they were making their way to Yirin and Joonmyun’s house “Daddy,” Wookyung said with her small voice, “What happened to Auntie Yiyi?”

 

Kyungsoo smiled at his daughter, “She gave birth to a baby girl.”

“That means you have another friend to play with now.” Minrin clarified.

She rang the doorbell and a little “I got it!” was heard.

The door swung open and a little boy appeared. Taking more physical traits of his father, Chijin had round almond shape eyes like Joonmyun but Yirin’s soft nose.  “Hi Uncle Kyungsoo, hi Auntie Minrin," he looked at Wookyung, “Hi Tiny.”

“Hello,” Wookyung shyly greeted back. “Daddy, put me down.” she urged him and released her. Once she stepped off, she nudged Chijin with her small fists.

“Hey,” he rubbed his arm, “what was that for?”

“I told you to call me noona. I'm older than you, you know.”

“Yeah by only a few months. Plus you're smaller than me so I'll call you Tiny.” It was true. Although she was only three, she was still much smaller than Chijin. He was inches taller than her even though they were so close in age. Perhaps it was the fact that she was a premature baby. Nonetheless, she was a healthy child.

She pout then crossed her arms. Joonmyun smiled as he approached them. “Hey guys, come in.” He shut the door then looked at his son, “Chijin, be nice with Wookyung before she won’t come visit you anymore.”

He looked at his father then nodded, “Yes, daddy.”

Joonmyun led the adults to his living room where Yirin and the baby was at. Yirin smiled at them as she stood up with the baby in her arms, “Hey, thanks for visiting.” She looked at Wookyung, “Well hello, pretty girl. You’re looking more and more like your mommy every time I see you.”

Wookyung blushed, “Thank you.”

Minrin gasped, “Oh she’s gorgeous, Yirin.” She softly caressed the newborn’s cheek. Yirin gently handed her daughter to her. “What’s her name again?”

“Nayoung,” Joonmyun answered, “Kim Nayoung.”

“Oh that’s so precious.” Minrin turned to the baby, “Hello,” she cooed, “Welcome to the world. You’re so pretty, Nayoung.” She looked at her daughter, “Look Wookyung, baby.”

The child looked at her father, as if asking for permission. Kyungsoo nodded, encouraging his daughter to look. Wookyung walked to her mother and gazed at the baby. A smile grew on her face, “She looks like Auntie Yiyi,” she commented. She walked to Yirin. “Auntie, did you buy your baby at the doctor?” Wookyung turned to her mother, “Mommy can we buy one too?”

The adults laughed and she began to feel embarrassed. Joonmyun grabbed her then propped her on his thigh. “Don’t be ashamed, Wookyung.” She looked up at him and he gave her a smile, “Just ask mommy and daddy if they can give you a baby.” he said, putting the spotlight on the couple.

Kyungsoo chuckled and Minrin lightly laughed as she gently shook the baby. He gave Joonmyun a glare as if saying ‘Don’t implant that thought in my daughter’s head, you lunatic.’ He took his daughter from his bastard friend, “Wookyung, why don’t you go play with Chijin.”

Chijin nodded, “C’mon,” he took Wookyung’s hand and walked her down the hallway to his playroom. “My daddy bought me more legos so I can finally make us our castle.”

“And I’ll be the princess!”

“No,” he said sharply, “So you can be my queen and I’ll be your king.”

“But I want to be the princess,” she lowly whined to herself.

“Kings and queens are married to each other. And in this game your are mine so stop complaining before I won’t make us our castle.” he warned. Wookyung nodded at the boy. Chijin smiled then pat her cheek, “That’s my queen.”

 

As soon as they got home, the doorbell rang. Minrin opened it and saw her cousin erratically on her toes with a smiling Myungsoo behind her. Since he was still wearing his army attire, Minrin assumed they just got back from the airport. “Guess who just got proposed!”

Minrin gasped, “No way!” Taegi shoved her ringed right hand to prove it. Minrin’s mouth gaped open, “It’s beautiful, Myungsoo!” She invited them in as they lounged in the dining area.

“Thank you.”

Wookyung ran to see who the guests were. “Uncle Myungie! You’re back!”

“Hey kiddo.” Myungsoo bend down to hold the child in his arms. “Did you miss me?” he paused then looked at her, “Did you get taller?”

She nodded proudly, “We went to the doctor’s yesterday and I grew a centimeter since you left.” He grinned then ruffled her hair. Myungsoo knew that Wookyung was conscious of her small physique, even at her childish age.

“How come you waiting this long?” Minrin asked Myungsoo.

He put Wookyung down and she climbed on her aunt’s lap. “I wanted to wait until I came back from military service so it’d be more...” he was thinking of the word, “dramatic.”

“And heck yeah it was!” she said as Wookyung was playing with the ring on her finger. “When I went to go pick him up at the airport, he suddenly stopped and proposed to me. Him and his other soldier buddies surrounded us and–oh gosh Minrin it was magical.”

She smiled, “Well I’m glad you two are finally getting married. It’s been–what–five, six years?”

“Seven,” Myungsoo corrected, “Another hundred more to go.” he chuckled as he sat next to his fiance. “By the way, where’s Kyungsoo. I wanna go drinking with him later.”

“He had a sudden case to go to but I’ll let him know that you’re back.”

“So,” Taegi held Myungsoo’s hand, “We were thinking about the wedding and were wondering if Wookyung would be our flower girl.” She looked down at the small girl in her lap, “Would you like that, Wookyung? Wanna be Uncle Myungie and Auntie’s flower girl?” Wookyung nodded, not even knowing what it was. “She probably doesn’t even know what a flower girl is,” Taegi laughed. “Anyway Auntie Chanyeon’s coming so–”

“Wait,” Minrin interrupted, “Auntie Chanyeon’s coming back from Thailand?”

“Just for the wedding though. I mean I haven’t told her about it yet, but I’m sure she’ll be stoke once she hears about it. Anyway, I’ll have Mo be our flower girls along with Wookyung.”

“Myungsoo, you’ve met Chanyeon right?” Minrin asked.

“Yep, I’ve met her; very talkative and welcoming woman. I wonder how she is. I know she’s a diplomat in Thailand but it’s been a while since I’ve seen her. The last time I saw her was at your wedding.”

Minrin sighed, “Yeah but even then I didn’t get to see much of her.” She turned to Taegi, “When’s the wedding?”

“Maybe a few weeks from now. We just want a small one with close family and friends. Also, would it be okay to have it at Mom’s Place?”

Mom’s Place. Right after it was built, she named it that for her mother. Just hearing that name made a rush of nostalgic feelings come back to Minrin. She smiled, “Mom’s Place in Hampyeong? Wow, it’s been forever since I’ve been there.”

“Exactly why we wanted it there. It’s in the beautiful countryside and I’m sure Auntie Lee would be there with us also.”

Minrin agreed, “It would be lovely to have a wedding there. If you two need anything, I’ll be more than glad to help.”

Taegi snort, “Are you crazy? We cannot plan a wedding ourselves. Do you know how stressful it is? I don’t know how Yirin did it, but we’re hiring a professional wedding planner. ”


Because I’m lazy and it wasn’t entirely important (sorry) I didn’t go into details with Taegi and Myungsoo’s wedding. Just know they got married at Mom’s Place aka the house in Hampyeong that Yirin constructed. We have a newly introduced character: Auntie Chanyeon. You will be seeing her in future chapters so don’t forget about her.
Anyway, so Nayoung is born and Chijin/Wookyung are both 3 (4 in Korean age system but let's stick to it this way). I don't know what else to say.