Voicemail

Every Breathless Moment

Not edited.
Will do it when I'm not too lazy.


The events from last night played in his head. There was a sick feeling in his stomach and he really just wanted to barf it out. Unknowingly, his hands directed its way to his tie and began to fumble with it.

 

“Let me,” Minrin took the tie from him and fixed it. “I don’t know why you bothered messing with it when we’re already here.”

 

They were at the Etude House opening that Wookyung was featured in. It was a huge grand opening for the new brand featuring Wookyung and fresh, new faces from the Hallyu world. Although she wasn’t an idol, Do Wookyung held the same amount of fame as one. She had worked her way up and was nearly at her youthful peak.

 

After finishing, Minrin pats it down like always then linked arms with her husband. “I can’t believe it, our baby’s a star.” she squealed to her husband. As a short response, he simply grinned and nodded; acting like he was paying attention to her words.

 

The lights dimmed signaling that the fashion show was to begin. Everyone who was standing up quickly ushered to their seats. Photographers got their cameras ready as bloggers got their notepads out. Minrin’s excitement was solely on her daughter’s appearance.

 

A loud beat went off a geometric LED lights shot up at all wall space of the large room. Along with upbeat music, the shaped gathered together to form the words Etude House, in bold hot pink letters. As everyone clapped their hands, the lights lit up again and all the representatives walked to the podium.

 

“Look! There’s Wookyung!” Minrin pointed out to her husband. Pulling out her own camera, Minrin began snapping pictures of her daughter.

 

While the CEO talked about what an honor it is to have everyone be here, Wookyung searched for her parents with her eyes. Past the tensome flashes of light, she saw a shameless arm wave frantically.

 

Of course, it was none other than her mother.

 

Wookyung chuckled to herself which coincidentally went along perfectly with Etude House’s CEO’s humorous remark about God knows what.\

 

Shortly after, the models were released and the line was officially on sale. While fans and customers rushed to take pictures with the models or purchase the items, Wookyung attempted to make her way to her parents. After successfully dodging and autographing as many notebooks as she can, she reached her parents.

 

“Dad, nice to see you here,” she said almost sarcastically.

 

“I wouldn’t miss it for the world,” he said before kissing her forehead. “I’m so proud of you, baby girl.”

 

“Thanks, dad,” she said with her eyes closed. She turned to her mother and automatically chuckled, “Have you no shame?”

 

“Why? I should now, now that you’re famous right?” Minrin scoffed, “Don’t get Idol Fever, Wookyung-ah.” She hugged her daughter and sighed, “I’m so proud of you. We’re,” she corrected herself, “so, so proud of you.”
 

Before she could say another word, two younger middle schoolers approached her with blazing red faces and asked her for a signature. Then a larger crowd came and before you knew it everyone offered their phones for a photo with her.

 

Jang Hongbyung, Wookyung’s manager, approached the couple with a deep chuckle. “Aigoo, she’s getting so big. I remember when she was still a little sprout dipping her feet in the industry.” He sighed, “Now she’s growing into her fame balloon, just waiting for it to inflate to its full potential.”

 

Hongbyung never spoke to them often (especially like this) but when he did, it was his way of smooching his way for them to approve of his request.

 

“Hello, Hongbyung-sshi,” Minrin warmly greeted, “it’s been a while. How have you been?”

 

“Especially well since I got Wookyung into the after party.”

 

Ah, there is it.

 

As always, it was Minrin making the decisions and negotiating with the manager. “It’s fine as long as Wookyung comes home before midnight. I checked her school schedule and there’s nothing too important this week for her to stress over. Just have her put on her seatbelt before the car turns on.”

 

As always that satisfied grin was stamped on his face. “Thank you, Hwang Minrin-sshi.” He pretended that his phone rang and answered it. “Excuse me, important call.” and he ushered away from the two.

 

“So I’m guessing we’re done here?” Kyungsoo said as he casually scanned the perimeter. Fangirls. Lots and lots of fangirls. As long as the fanboy population remained minimal, Do Kyungsoo didn’t have a problem.

 

Minrin chuckled and held her husband’s arm. “Yes, I’m sure Wookyung wouldn’t mind anyway.” she nodded her head to their daughter, “Look at how much fun she’s having. This is exactly what she wanted, Kyungsoo.”

 

With that bright smile of hers, Wookyung was radiating with pure happiness. To netizens that were fond of her, Do Wookyung was an inspiration to young girls that being extremely light skinned was not always beautiful. Do Wookyung served as an advocate for those with a darker tone of skin and Etude House was proud to advertise this amazing message.

 

Trying to get her daughter’s attention, Minrin waved her arm in the air, but in the midst of all these people, it was useless.

 

“Let’s just go.”

 

As they entered their home, Minrin sighed and took her heels off. “Well, tonight was fun.”

 

“Extremely,” Kyungsoo answered back sarcastically.

 

From the back, Minrin hugged her husband and kissed the side of his face. “The night is still young. And Wookyung isn’t home.” She walked in front of him. Her fingers drew random circles on his chest, “You know, it’s been a while since we had . Why not enjoy this time?”

 

He put his hands on her shoulder, “I work early tomorrow.” He took off his shoes and put it in the closet.

 

“Oh. Right.” Minrin stood there, feeling extremely cheap after being shut down by her own husband.

 

“I’m gonna go shower,” he announced then left to go upstairs.

 

“Can I use your phone?” she asked as she made her way to the stairs. “Mine is dead and I want to remind Hongbyung to get Wookyung back before midnight.” She got into their room and took off her heavy statement necklace. “I just know he didn’t take any of my words into account,” she said to herself.

 

“It’s on the dresser.” he nodded to the object. He threw his towel over his shoulder but Minrin pulled him back.

 

“Help me my dress.”

 

This act should have tempted him to pull the dress off her and push her body on the bed. But it didn’t. He simply ped it and left the bathroom. Double the sting in one night.

 

“Ouch,” said her female pride.

 

Regardless, she pushed these emotions away. Charging her dead phone, Minrin grabbed Kyungsoo’s phone and out of habit dialed his number.

 

“First message.” the automated voice said.

 

Minrin chuckled, “Did I really just call his voicemail?”

 

“Hey Kyungsoo, it’s Jen.”

 

Her voice sounded different. It sounded very sultry and...ual. This only pushed Minrin to continue listening to Jen’s message.

 

“Listen, last night had me all heated up and so ing . Just thinking about our rough gives me all kinds of tingles. I loved how you grip and ed me so ing hard. So how bout we make this a regular thing? Just between us of course.”

 

“To repeat this message, press 1.”

 

Minrin exhaled and set his phone down. All she could think about was how disgusting Jen’s language was. “” this and “ing” that. Just thinking about it gave her huge waves of chills. The way Jen described everything gave Minrin a mental image that she didn’t want to see.

 

It was unclear what Minrin felt. It was like it didn’t process her yet. Her husband was cheating on her with his hot coworker.

 

She always knew that Jen would be a problem sooner or later. Ever since the day they met at Kyungsoo’s boss’ retirement party eight years ago. She had heard about this Jen woman but didn’t put much thought on her since most of what Kyungsoo said about her was slander. Although the party was work-related, the woman had the audacity to arrive in a sweetheart corset top with a military style green jacket over. Her long legs were weakly covered with tight as burgundy shorts that helped give a peak to her . As if she wasn’t flaunting enough, she wore black leather pumps that exposed her front toes, in which were painted in a rich red color. She looked like she was a member of a skimpy girl group.

 

At the time it just seems like she was one of those girls that liked to show off her body, but Minrin had her speculations. Back then it didn’t matter because she had a strong trust in Kyungsoo. Call it woman’s intuition but she knew that Jen was someone that wasn’t appealing to Kyungsoo. She was–cheap! Up until now, her red flag wasn’t tilted or even flicked for a second. But now all alarms were activated. Which lead to questions: had this happen before?

 

Obviously not, since she barely purposed to make it into a routine thing. The made it seem like it was their first time. Which is a good thing...sorta.

 

The door jingled and as an instinct, she threw his phone across the bed.

 

“Did you get a hold of Hongbyung?” he asked.

 

“No, probably couldn’t hear past the music.”

 

“Probably,” he said as he dried his hair with another towel.

 

“You came home awfully late yesterday,” Minrin said as he walked into their closet. “Will you work as late tomorrow? You know, so I’ll know when to cook for you.” she quickly improvised an explanation for the random question.

 

“I’m not too sure.” he said. “It depends how long the jury takes on convicting.” He slipped a plain t-shirt on and his plaid pajama pants on. “Goodnight.” he said as he leaned over and kissed her.

 

Leaning over the bed, Minrin looked at her husband. “Night.” She grabbed her towel and undressed completely. Shutting the door behind her, she the water and stood there for a bit as the water crashed onto her body. After a few minutes, it hit her. Hard. Her husband of fifteen years, the same man who helped raise her daughter, had cheated on her.

 

Her fingers curled into a fist. Pressing them against her face, Minrin began to shiver from all these compacted emotions. A small quiver escaped and unleashed a string of hushed sobs. While her husband slept peacefully in their room, Hwang Minrin was having a meltdown in the shower.


Wooooooh! I just realized that I haven't updated this story since 2014! My apologizes. So this chapter revolves around Minrin finding out about Jen and Kyungsoo. Goodness. I would've been kicking and screaming at my spouse if I ever found out. She's just so composed!