Eight

Every Breathless Moment

The dismissal bell had rang and as usual Wookyung was the last to leave. Since she was the president, her duty was to clean up the trash that student left on the floor or desks.

 

“You were wonderful on Star King, Do Wookyung.” her teacher complimented as she was walking out with her student.

 

Wookyung smiled, “Thank you, Ms. Sung.” She looked out the door and saw Nayoung urge for her to hurry. Wookyung nodded then bowed at her teacher, “Bye, Ms. Sung. Have a nice weekend.” she ran to go to Nayoung but her hair was pulled back.

 

“Ah, ah, ah!” she quietly hissed, already knowing who it was.

 

“Yah, Bang Jooshil! Leave Wookyung alone!” Nayoung shouted.

 

The older girl jerked towards her, making the younger flinch. “Piss off, kiddo. This is big kids business.” Nayoung stood up straight then shut . She crossed her arms with a smirk. “That’s right, stay quiet.” Jooshil turned back to Wookyung, about to attack until her face was shoved away down to the floor.

 

“Ugh, look what you did. You got ugly on my hand.” Chijin groaned as he wiped his hand on the wall. He took Wookyung away as his sister stood behind him. “Let’s go.” He glared at Jooshil who was giving him the same dirty look, “We don’t have time to waste on a rat-faced bully.” Chijin stepped over her and all three of them walked away.

 

Nayoung turned her head to stick her tongue out at the girl. Jooshil shouted, feeling provoked by the child. The youngest laughed to herself, “Serves her right.”

 

“Seriously, Do Wookyung, I go to the bathroom for literally a minute and already you’ve gotten in trouble.”

 

Wookyung knew it was serious since he called her by her full name and not her nickname.

 

Chijin sighed, “And you, Kim Nayoung, why didn’t you call for the teacher? You have a loud voice, why don’t you use it?”

 

His little sister shrugged, “I saw you coming and didn’t need assistance anymore.”

 

“Why is she so mean to me?” Wookyung asked lowly, “I’ve never done anything bad to her.” she turned to Chijin, “Do you think it’s because I didn’t let her be Little Red Riding Hood?”

 

He shook his head, “That was two years ago. She hates you because for starters, have you seen her face? It’s a trainwreck. And it doesn’t help that you’re pretty so she’s taking out the pain of being ugly on you. Second, you’re practically famous now. Bang Jooshil is just jealous.” He pinched her cheek, “Don’t worry too much.”

 

“Hi kids,” Yirin greeted as Nayoung ran up to hug her. “How was school?”

 

“Chijin was extra cool today,” Nayoung said as her mother carried her to the car.

 

They got in the car and Yirin helped her daughter get buckled in. “What does that mean?”

 

“A mean girl was messing with me but Chijin helped me before anything serious would happen.” Wookyung answered as she was adjusting her seat belt.

 

Yirin looked at her son, “Kim Chijin, are you fighting, now?”

 

“No mom,” Chijin glared at his little sister, “I’m not fighting.”

 

Yirin shut the door and got in the driver’s seat, “You better not.” she sighed, “Why did I have to inherit him all this anger.”


 

For once in a long time, Kyungsoo was off early. He put his briefcase on the kitchen counter. Minrin as she was making a snack for their daughter.

 

“What are you making there?” he kissed her cheek, “Japchae?”

 

Minrin pulled away, “Yeah,” she gave him a sour expression, “Your breath.” Kyungsoo looked at her as he some of the noodles in his mouth. “It smells awful.”

 

. He laughed, “Really? Joonmyun and I went drinking for lunch.”

 

She shook her head, “No, it’s not alcohol. It smells different. Like–I can’t describe it. It just smells awful.”

 

“He wanted to try this disgusting burnt type food. Maybe that’s it.” he walked to the living room to watch TV.

 

She shrugged it off, “Kyungsoo-ah, did you get the mail?”

 

“Yeah, I got them this morning. They’re in my briefcase.”

 

Minrin took off her gloves and washed her hands. She opened his briefcase and saw the scattered envelopes, but she saw something much more. She took it and walked to the living room. Standing in front of the TV, Minrin crossed her arms, “Do Kyungsoo, what is this?” she held the box of cigarettes in her hand.

 

Kyungsoo stood up, “Give that back.” He lunged towards her but she stepped back.

 

“Not until you explain to me what the hell this is doing with you!”

 

He pushed her down and snatched it from her. Minrin fell back and hit the corner edge of the coffee table. She felt the back of her head and saw the spot of blood on her finger. A small scream was heard, “Mommy!” Wookyung ran to her mother and hugged her, “What happened?”

 

Minrin looked at Kyungsoo with a harsh glare, “Nothing, daddy’s not in the right mind right now.” She turned to her daughter, “Go pack some clothes, we’re gonna be away for a while.”

 

“But why mommy?” Wookyung asked. She looked at her father, how he wasn’t looking at any of them and had a small box in his hand. For some reason, she had a feeling the box caused the problem.

 

“Just go, Wookyung!” she shouted.

 

“Don’t shout at my daughter!” Kyungsoo shouted back. Wookyung jumped and ran up the stairs and straight to her room.

Minrin got up, “I escaped Jongin and accepted you with all my heart, yet it feels like a cycle is beginning.” She walked to the stairs, “I don’t need this, Kyungsoo.” she went to their room to pack her own clothes.

 

By the time they reached Mom’s Place, Wookyung was already sleeping. Once she drove up on the driveway, the door opened. Taegi came out and helped bring the bags in as Minrin carried her daughter inside.

 

“Is it just you?”

 

Taegi shook her head and shut the door with her foot. “Taehwan is with me but Myungsoo’s still in the city.” Minrin gently put her daughter on the sofa, careful not to wake her up. “He’s working tomorrow so he had to stay and–” Taegi gasped and looked at the crusted dry blood on her scalp. “He hit you?” Taegi nearly shouted.

 

“Sh, you’re going to wake her up,” Minrin hissed.

 

“What on earth did that man do to you?”

 

Minrin looked behind the living room and saw her aunt walk in the house. She stood up, “Auntie Chanyeon,” she went to  hug the older woman, “What are you doing in South Korea?”

 

Chanyeon walked with her to the living room and sat her down. “I was given a mini vacation and wanted to spend it here. I wanted to come see how my sister's home look.” She looked at the dry blood in her niece's hair, “Then Taegi told me about your marital problems.”

 

“Where's Dech and the kids? I haven't seen you guys since Taegi’s wedding.”

“They’re at a hotel in Seoul. Enough about me,” she sat down and looked at her niece, “Tell us what happened.”

Minrin sighed, “Now that I think about it. It’s so dumb.” She looked at the two women, “Kyungsoo’s smoking again. I found a box of cigarettes in his briefcase and it just–” she paused, feeling the anger build up again. “It just made me so angry. You two know how I feel about smokers and drinkers. My dad was a terrible smoker and a drunk. Jongin was just as bad. When Kyungsoo and I started seeing each other, he managed to stop. And he was going good–excellent actually, until today.” She chuckled, “Honestly I don’t even know how long he’s been smoking but it’s just the fact that he began to smoke again it just–” she groaned, “And the fact that he got violent with me and shoved me remind me so much of both Jongin and dad and–oh gosh it just made me so upset! It was like a vicious circle was beginning all over again.” Minrin sighed and looked at them, “I just couldn’t handle it. I just had to be away. And when all this happened Wookyung had just come back from school and I just didn’t want her to see this going on.”

Chanyeon grinned at her niece, her fine lines showing around her lips. “Well it’s a good thing you left before anything stupid would have happened. Sometimes in marriage, there are two options: argue until you’ve reached an understanding or leave before things get ugly. However, in the end, it is important to come back to each other and remember that you two are married and you still love each other. Do you understand?”

Minrin nodded.

 

“What he did to you was unacceptable but it was done in the heat of the moment, I’m sure. For now just get some rest and relax. I don’t want you to stress about the situation. When the time is right, both of you will resolve this issue.”

 

Taegi looked at the woman, “Man, you are so patient. It’s no wonder you’ve been married for twenty years.”

 

“Dech and I have been together for a long time. We get in fights and arguments but we never forget that we still love each other in the end. You may be mad today, but at the end of the day, you will always have one another for support. Don’t forget your wedding vows and the reason you said them.”

 

Minrin let her aunt’s words sink in. It was true. She was upset about everything, but she still loves him; although it was hard at the moment to forgive him, she knew only time could tell how the clock ticks.

 

Not knowing where else to go, Kyungsoo found himself on the doorstep of his father’s house. His father opened the door. “Dad help me,” he said, “I screwed up.”

 

“Come in, come tell me what happened.”

 

After explaining it all to his father, Kyungsoo threw his head in his hands. “It was stupid of me but I did it mindlessly and,” he sighed, “How can I fix this?”

 

“When did you begin to smoke again?” his father gave him a stern look, “I want you to be honest with me, Kyungsoo.”

 

Reluctant to say, Kyungsoo told his father the truth, “Two years ago. It was just supposed to be a one-time thing but it carried on quicker than I thought.”

 

“I am very disappointed in you for going back to your out habits. I want you to stop but that’s only on your own will. As for Minrin, I love her like my own child. Like I always told you and your brother when you get in fights: swallow your pride and apologize. You need to realize what you did wrong and acknowledge your mistake. Once you do, apologize and beg for forgiveness if you must.” He pat his son on back, “Hwang Minrin is a wonderful woman. Don’t let something as small as smoking ruin it. Please. I just want the best for you and your brother.”

 

“Thank you, dad. I will definitely do what you said. Thank you for your advice.” Kyungsoo stood up and bowed. He left the house and pulled out his phone. He pulled up Taegi’s contact and texted her

 

Is Minrin with you?


 

It was a nice day, beautiful actually. So beautiful that the whole Songchanok family wanted to have a day at the park with Minrin and Taegi.

 

“Children, children,” Taegi said to her foreign cousins, “Please say your whole name in that luscious accent of yours then tell me how old you are in Korean.”

 

The oldest daughter laughed. “Should we go in order?” Ask the oldest son in Thai.

 

“Of course, go first P’Thit.”

 

Thit cleared his voice and gestured a respectful slight bow with his palms pressed together in a prayer-like fashion. “Hello” he greeted in Thai, “My name is Thitirayu ‘Thi’ Songchanok Hwang.” He spoke in Korean this time, “I am 16 years old.”

 

Taegi squealed hearing his exotic language flow so fluidly. Minrin laughed at Taegi’s stupidity as Wookyung listened, completely fascinated.

Like her brother, she gestured respectful, “Hello. My name is Arinya ‘Ae’ Songchanok Hwang. I am 13 years old.”

The other followed suit. “Hello, my name is Moyuree ‘Mo’ Songchanok Hwang,” the little girl greeted. Wookyung and her shared a glance and they both laughed, “and I am 9 years old.” she said through her giggles. She sat next to Wookyung and looked at the youngest.

 

“Hello, my name is Chanyadech ‘Chan’ Songchanok Hwang and I am three!” the little boy said as he held up three fingers.

 

Taegi awed as she pinched his cheeks, “You’re so cute, Chan!”

 

“Wow, Chanyeon,” Minrin applaud, “you’ve taught them well.”

“Of course,” Dech continued to grill the meat, “In our household, there are four languages spoken: Thai, Korean, English, and Confusion.” The adults laughed.

Minrin received a call under a blocked number. Usually, she would ignore however it might have been the hospital or even a co-worker. She excused herself from the group and told Wookyung to go play with her cousins. She stepped away from the group to the pond, “Hello,” she answered, “This is Hwang Minrin.” The other line was silent. “Hello?”

She felt arms wrap around her and she screamed. Minrin elbowed the person and stepped on their foot.

“Minrin, Minrin!” the attacker called, “It’s just me!” She turned about and saw Kyungsoo. Straightening herself, Minrin walked away from. “Wait,” Kyungsoo pulled her back and looked at her, “I came here to tell you that I was sorry.” Minrin looked away from her.

 

Ae looked at her mother, “Mom, this is just like the lakorns,” the teenager gushed in Thai.

 

Thit clucked his tongue at his sister, “Even when we’re not in Thailand she still talks about her damn lakorns.” Ae glared at her brother but was stopped by their mother.

 

Kyungsoo looked at his wife, “Please Minrin,” he held her hands close to him, “The house is empty without Wookyung and I feel alone without you with me.” Minrin slowly turned her gaze to him. “Please come back. I miss you and Wookyung.”

 

Minrin slowly smiled and nodded her head. She kissed him on the cheek, “I was mad at you last night, but I still love you.”

Filled with joy, Kyungso hugged his wife and peppered her face with kisses. Wookyung ran in the scene and hugged them, “Daddy!”

The couple broke away from the scene and he bent down to look at his daughter, “Hi, sweetie.”

“Look, Auntie Chanyeon and her family are here. So are Taegi and Taehwannie.” The girl pointed excitedly. She dragged her father, “Let’s go.” Kyungsoo laughed as his daughter brought him to the area. He greeted Dech, Chanyeon, and the kids. He stopped at Taegi with a devilish grin.

“This is your first strike,” she whispered to him, “Don’t use them up so quick.”

Kyungsoo smiled and hugged her with one arm, “Thank you, Taegi.”


Oh no, Wookyung is already getting bullied (by Bang Jooshil, her back-up for their first play) Minrin and Kyungsoo had their first serious fight D: And you guys met Auntie Chanyeon and her wonder Thai-Korean family: Dech (husband), Thit, Ae, Mo, and Chan. So we see here that Taegi is the one helps Kyungsoo :3