Welcome Home

Every Breathless Moment

He held his wife’s hand as they waited. Her knees were shaking and her heart was beating faster by the second. “Minrin,” Kyungsoo called, “calm down.”

 

“Maybe you should’ve came alone.” She looked at him with a troubled expression, “What if something happens to Wookyung? I should have stayed to looked after her.”

 

He shook his head, “Wookyung will be fine. The nurses and everyone there are taking great care of her. You have nothing to worry about.”

 

A buzzer went off. The guards loudly called out the names of the inmates with visitors, Kim Jongin being one of them. Minrin and Kyungsoo sat up straight in their seats as Jongin walked towards them. Surprised to see them, Jongin sat down in the chair across the glass, looking at the couple. There was something off. She didn’t look like how she expected. Minrin was pregnant but she didn’t have a single trace of pregnancy on her thin body. He picked up the phone and so did she.

 

“Where’s your bump? Aren’t you pregnant?” he asked, concerned with the baby’s whereabouts. “Don’t tell me you got a miscarriage. Or did you abort it?” So many scenarios came to his mind.

 

“Neither of those things happened.” she assured. “Do Wookyung was born on June 3rd, on Kyungsoo and my wedding day, two months premature, and is 3 lbs and 2 oz.” It was difficult telling him these things, but it was important he knew.

 

Jongin looked at the rings on their fingers, “Congratulations on the marriage.” There was a spark of heartbreak in his voice. “How is our Wookyung?”

 

Kyungsoo took the phone, “She will be in the NICU for a few weeks.” He paused, “Actually Jongin, we came here to tell you something very important.” He held Minrin’s hands, “Even though I am Wookyung’s legal father, you are still her biological father and we can never take her away from you. You are more than welcome to be a part of Wookyung’s life as much as me or Minrin. Regardless, you are her father, Jongin.”

 

Jongin let the other man’s words sink in. “No,” he shook his head, “I can’t do that.”

 

“No?” Minrin took the phone, “Why not?”

 

“I cannot let her be known as the kid with the criminal father. For the sake of Wookyung, do not ever mention my name to the child and let her believe that Do Kyungsoo is her one and only father. Let Kim Jongin be a stranger to her and never reveal who I am to her, ever.” He looked at Minrin with pleading eyes, “I’ve done enough damage in my life, I cannot affect her life as well. Please Minrin, Kyungsoo, please do me this favor. I am not asking for much–I am not asking for you to be involved in my life any longer–I just beg of you two to not let her know the truth. Let her live the privileged life of Do Kyungsoo the lawyer and Hwang Minrin the nurse’s immaculate daughter.”

 

Minrin looked at her husband. Kyungsoo gave her nod in agreement. She held the phone to her ear and spoke, “Okay Jongin. If that is what you are asking for, then so be it.”

 

“Kyungsoo, take good care of my daughter and treat Minrin right. Make both of them happy, since I know I can never be as good as you. This is my own request for you two so please fulfill it.”

 

“Times up,” the guard announced then pulled Jongin up.


 

Three weeks had past and the doctors allowed Wookyung to be taken home. On the way home, Kyungsoo was acting very strange. He kept looking at his phone, checking the time, and most of all, he would try to distract the time by wanting to do something else instead of going home.

 

“No, Kyungsoo, I’m tired and so is Wookyung. Let’s just go home.”

 

Kyungsoo sighed, “Okay.” He took Wookyung’s car seat and adjusted it in the back.

 

She narrowed her eyes at her husband, sensing that something was going to happen. She put her hands on her hips, “You are a terrible liar, you know that.”

 

He looked back at her then laughed, “Why do you say that?” He buckled the infant in them gently shut the door.

 

“I don’t know what you’re doing or planning–” he opened the door for her and she sat in, “–but you’re making it very obvious.”

 

“I’m only a bad liar to you,” he kissed her on the cheek then shut the door. “You’ll see once we get home!” he shouted as he ran to the driver’s side.

 

“Watch out for the baby, Kyungsoo–ah, my foot!”

 

Kyungsoo hissed apologetically, “Sorry, sorry! We’re already home.” He put the baby on the doorsteps and fished for his keys in his pocket. He opened the door and carried Wookyung inside. No signs of anything suspicious, but the thought was still there. Kyungsoo looked at Minrin then laughed, “What? Come inside, I swear I didn’t plant a nuclear bomb in here.”

 

Minrin narrowed her eyes, “Yeah but you probably hid a biochemical grenade somewhere.” She stepped in and was able to sit down until he stopped her.

 

“Let’s go put Wookyung down. The car seat must be uncomfortable for her.” She looked at her husband and he only gave her a heartwarming smile back. She hated that smile of his. She hates that little stupid thing that he does can have so much control over her; but she couldn’t get enough of it.

 

“Okay,” she gave in, “let’s go.”

 

He lured her to the room and once they got close enough, the door swung open and a pink silly streamer flew at her face. Minrin wiped the thing off her face and saw her cousin and her boyfriend.

 

“Welcome home, baby Wookyung!” they both shouted at the same time.

 

“What is this?” She asked the three people around her.

 

“Kyungsoo-sshi wanted to surprise you and bring Wookyung home in a stylish new crib.” Myungsoo explained.

 

“And we helped without pay.” Taegi turned to Kyungsoo, “But that can always be negotiated.”

 

Kyungsoo shook his head then turned to his wife. “Welcome home, sweetie.” He kissed her on top of the forehead. Minrin smiled. It’s no wonder he didn’t let her go to his townhome; it’s because he was busy constructing the baby’s room.

 

“Well are you just gonna stand there or look at our hard work?” Taegi shouted at her cousin. She dragged Minrin to the room. Minrin was taken back at the beauty of the nursery, mouth agape in incredulity. Everything that she had told him was there beyond her expectations.

 

The theme was a soft, pastel yellow: just like how she wanted. With a yellow and white striped ceiling, the walls were a pearly white and the window wall being the only wall painted a light yellow. Next to the adorable white baby crib was a light pink rocking chair. Above the diaper changing table, her names were spelled in wooden block American letters. Other baby things were placed in the room: a fluffy teddy bear, a night light, a shelf filled with baby books and nursery rhymes, and so much more.

 

Minrin turned to Myungsoo and Taegi, “Thank you so much for doing this. It’s so beautiful, I can't even express my gratitude for you two.” She turned to Kyungsoo and hugged him, “This is amazing, thank you so much for planning this.”

 

“Here’s the best part.” Kyungsoo flicked a switch and bubbles soon filled the room.

 

“You got the bubbles?” Minrin looked at the bubble machine, “A bubble machine?”

 

Kyungsoo nodded, “You were looped out on drugs but hey, a man keeps his words.”

 

Taegi carefully took Wookyung out of her car seat and gently placed her down on the crib. She caressed the back of her index finger on the baby’s soft cheek. Myungsoo came behind her and set his chin on her shoulder, wrapping his arms around the waist of his girlfriend.

 

“She’s so precious,” Taegi whispered.

 

He kissed her cheek, “Maybe we can will be able to make our own little preciouses.”

 

Taegi scoffed then pulled away from him, “Don’t get too excited now.” She walked away to her cousin.

 

Myungsoo laughed, “Why? We’ve been together for 4 years now.” he whined. “I think it’s time.”

 

She turned round and wagged her finger, “I decide~” she cooed at him.

 

Myungsoo grinned and fondled the little ring in his pocket. “Everyone likes surprises,” he said to himself.


Yeah….Used American system because I don’t know what measurement they used to weight their babies O_O So it seems like Jongin doesn't want Wookyung to know about him. Do you think it's better for him to be absent from his daughter's life? Taegi and Myungsoo helped construct Wookyung's room! Yay and Myungsoo's gonna propose soon ohohohoo~ Short chapter, sorry it took so long. I was story boarding everything. Thank you to everyone who supported this story!