Book 1: Five

Ultimate Balance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sound of something sizzling in the frying pan was what shook Mira from her sleep. Although her eyes were closed, she could tell that morning had already arrived from the heat that pressed against her face. The smell of eggs and sausages wafted under her nose, persuading her to fully awaken from her slumber. Mira let out a quiet yawn as she sat upright, stretching her arms high above her head.

“Haiku, why are you still in your full sized form?” Mira frowned as she stared at Haiku’s back as he stood at the stove

He glanced over his shoulder and flashed her a quick smile before resuming his cooking, “I couldn’t leave you unprotected with those strangers on the island, now could I?”

“You stayed like this the entire night?!” Mira exclaimed as she slid herself out of bed. “You must be exhausted, Ku.”

Haiku shook his head and gave her a silly smile, “On the contrary, I feel perfectly fine. I don’t appreciate you doubting my will power, Mira.”

“It’s not your will power I’m questioning,” Mira sighed as she reached over to take the cooking utensils from Haiku’s hands. She bumped him away from the stove with her hips, and jerked her head over to the bed. “Sleep, Haiku, and change back into your usual form. Your injury will take even longer to heal if you strain your body.”

Haiku knew better to protest. He examined Mira from head to toe and deemed her strong enough to take care of herself for the few hours he would rest - and maybe he was just the slightest bit tired. Just the slightest.

Mira glanced down at the pan, and laughed when she saw the large quantity of food Haiku had been preparing. “And you call me the weak one, do you?”

“If Haiku wants to keep feeding them, he’s going to have to make another trip into town,” Mira murmured to herself as she scanned the contents left in the fridge. She sighed and bumped the door close with her hip, “How much do boys eat, anyways?”

She rummaged through the upper cabinets, hoping to have enough plates for all the extra males that would be joining them for a spontaneous breakfast. After laying out the prepared dishes, Mira wiped her hands against a towel and decided to call the others to come in.

Mira wandered out of her house, curious as to where the boys had spent the night. Her eyes caught sight of the bright blue blankets Haiku had purchased a few weeks ago laid out across the ground, and she chuckled under her breath once she found the boys; they were all huddled together under the thin blanket with a badly made shelter strung over  their heads.

She frowned at the thin protection they had; the nights at Irasle could fall to extremely low temperatures, and it was dangerous to stay outside without proper clothing. As if on cue, Sehun let out a small sneeze before pulling his knees up to his chest for warmth.

Mira's heart tugged at the sight, and she bit down on her bottom lip at their pitiful appearance. She crouched down beside Chanyeol who was at the very edge of the group and prodded his arm gently with a stick she had pulled from the ground. Chanyeol didn't flinch the slightest bit at her jabs, and she huffed out a breath of annoyance; if something had come to attack them they all would have been dead by now. She decided to attempt to wake them once more by heading towards the other edge of the tight group, this time poking her stick into Suho's side. The boy quickly shot upright at the touch; his eyes widened sleepily with bewilderment. He immediately froze at the sight of Mira, and instantly attempted to pat down his wild bed hair, "G-good morning Ultimate!"

Mira cocked her head with slightly pursed lips, "Weren’t you cold last night?"

"N-no!" Suho immediately responded as he bowed his respects, "The tea Haiku had given us warmed us enough to last the night."

Realization dawned upon Mira and she chuckled quietly under her breath. So Haiku had given the boys his special heat herbs, had he? And he actually had the audacity to call her weak hearted.

Mira climbed back to her full height and brushed her hands off against each other. She jerked her head to the rest of the boys before nodding, "We've made breakfast for you lot, so come inside when you're hungry."

"Break...fast?" Suho repeated dumbly, his face remaining completely blank.

Mira's eyebrows furrowed in confusion, "Yes, do they not eat such a thing on the main land anymore? I wasn't aware that-"

"N-no no!" Suho quickly clarified as he shook his hands back and forth, "I apologize, Ultimate. I was just... surprised."

 

"Surprised that I made you guys breakfast?” Mira asked with a cocked eyebrow of amusement.

"Y-yeah…" Suho admitted with embarrassment. “And maybe that you ate human food.”

Mira fell silent at his words, and he was afraid that he had offended her until a light chuckle met his ears. He glanced up at her with a bright red face and was taken aback when she gave him a smile.

"Ultimate or not, humans have to eat, don't they?" Mira asked with amusement. She held up a hand to wave him goodbye and headed back to her house, "Wake the others and come in soon before the food gets cold." She paused meaningfully and tossed him a playful glance, “Don’t expect any further hospitality.”

Suho stared after her in silence for a few seconds before quickly scrambling to his feet. He kicked Jongin, who had been sleeping beside him, with the side of his foot before rummaging through his backpack, "Yah, hurry up and wake up!"

"Why are you being so loud?" Jongin groaned as he turned his body away from Suho. He stretched out his hand behind him and blindly swatted in Suho’s direction, "We've had a hard day, just let us sleep!"

"The Ultimate is inviting us for breakfast!" Suho hissed quietly as he yanked a clean shirt over his head.

Sehun immediately snapped into an upright position at Suho’s words, his eyes gleaming with excitement, "Mira made us breakfast?"

"Yes, so hurry and clean yourself up so we can at least look presentable before we go," Suho commanded. He grumbled under his breath, "Even though I already embarrassed myself by looking like this in front of the Ultimate."

"Yah, Hyungs, wake up!" Sehun exclaimed as he grabbed Baekhyun by the shoulders. He shook him so hard his head nearly snapped off of his shoulders at the attack, and he jolted awake, "What are you doing?"

"Mira made us breakfast!" Sehun cried happily as he turned to Kyungsoo to wake him up. "Kyungsoo Hyung wak-"

Kyungsoo stared at him with hard, deadly eyes, "Touch me and we'll be serving you for lunch."

Sehun held his hands up in surrender and quickly headed towards his own bag to get cleaned up.

"Why are you so excited?" Jongin groaned as he reluctantly dragged himself out of the makeshift bed. He stumbled over his feet as he headed towards his own respective suitcase.

"Why wouldn't I be?" Sehun beamed with a bright smile, "Mira made us breakfast! That must mean that she's warming up to us!"

"Shut your mouth, maknae, you're blinding me," Kyungsoo grumbled as he shoved him aside to reach his own belongings.

"Nothing can bring me down today, not even you and your attitude Hyung!" Sehun laughed gleefully as he combed down his hair. His eyes widened at the sight of a nearby patch of sunflowers and he immediately bounded towards the plants. He snatched a handful up into his palm and gleamed proudly down at his last minute present.

"I'll be going ahead of you Hyungs!" Sehun laughed as he sprinted towards the house without a second glance at his teammates.

 

***

 

Mira jumped slightly in surprise when a loud bang shot through the one story house and she eyed the jittery Sehun wearily. He looked a little too happy that morning, and she could easily tell that that wasn’t a good sign.

"I'm here Mira! I brought a present for you!" Sehun grinned as he held the sunflowers proudly in front of him.

Mira blinked at him before staring down at the offending bright flowers, "I'm allergic to sunflowers."

Almost immediately, Sehun tossed the bouquet over his head and out the door. His bright mood wasn't even the slightest bit fazed and his grin only spread even wider, "I'll bring you better flowers next time!"

Mira stared at him uneasily, uncomfortable with the sudden intruding ball of sunshine that came in the form of Sehun; humans were strange creatures.

"There's... No need for that," Mira nodded her head slowly. She gestured towards the food that was on the table, "Haiku and I wanted to apologize for what happened yesterday, so we made you all breakfast. Where are the other boys?"

“They said they’d come a little later,” Sehun lied as he beamed happily at her. “So it’ll just be you and me for now!”

“I don’t think I like your tone, brat,” Haiku’s high pitched voice interrupted. Sehun took a step backwards when the fairy fluttered abruptly in front of his face. “I’m still here too, you know.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter