Book 2: Six

Ultimate Balance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Hey.”

All eyes turned to look at Baekhyun who had suddenly broken the silence with his voice. They six of them had just finished eating and were preparing to get an early night’s rest.

“What is it?” Suho asked with a cocked head.

Baekhyun pointed to the small trail of smoke that rose above the trees a few miles away from them. “Fire.”

 

***

Mira internally screamed as she felt a blast of heat her skin. Hwajae losing control of his powers affected her control of her own, and she was torn between trying to control Hwajae and trying to control herself.

“Hw-Hwajae, please stop,” Mira grimaced as she dropped to one knee in an effort to contain herself. She took a deep, shaky breath, and steadily began to surprise her powers. She had become somewhat used to his influence, so it allowed her to gain better control of her own powers before she started to help Hwajae with his.

Hwajae saw Mira’s expression of pain, and his eyes widened in horror. It was his fault. He was hurting the one person who had reached out to him. Those men were right, he was a monster. Fire exploded from his body, and the blast of power flew Mira several feet backwards.

He immediately stepped forward to help her, but froze when he saw her body hit the trunk of a tree and drop to ground, completely still. “N-No!” Hwajae let out a painful scream and crumpled to the ground in defeat. There were defining screams sounding around him from the men that were engulfed in fire. It was his fault, it was all his fault. 

 

***

“Holy , Mira!” Sehun gasped.

A large stream of smoke was beginning to billow from the tree tops, and they all knew the cause of the source. 

Baekhyun’s eyes widened in realization, and he immediately broke into a run into the forest. They shouldn’t have let her gone on her own no matter how much she insisted. Ultimates were dangerous people, and he had forgotten how dangerous they really were because of how uneventful things have gone with Mira.

“What about our stuff?!” Sehun asked as he hesitated between bringing his backpack and leaving it behind.

“Leave it! There’s no time!” Chanyeol exclaimed as he followed right behind Baekhyun.

“STOP,” Suho ordered in a booming voice.

All movements stopped, and five heads turned to look at their leader impatiently.

“What is it, we have no time for this!” Jongin exclaimed as he jammed his arm through the sleeve of his jacket.

Suho paused for a second, a torn expression taking over his face. “We have to leave.”

“That’s what were trying to do!” Chanyeol exclaimed with exasperation. 

“No,” Suho muttered. “We have to leave out of the forest, not towards Mira.”

Everyone’s blood ran cold once they processed what Suho was trying to say.

“You mean you want to leave her behind?” Baekhyun growled in a low voice.

“Are you kidding me right now?” Jongin glared, not believing what the eldest was actually suggesting. “You want us to run and cover our own tails and leave her behind to rot?”

Suho clenched down on his jaw, “Yeah. That’s exactly what I’m saying. Get our stuff and lets go.”

“Don’t you with me,” Baekhyun snarled as he turned back around towards the forest.

“BYUN BAEKHYUN. REMEMBER WHY YOU ARE HERE. YOU WILL LISTEN TO MY ORDERS,” Suho shouted in a loud, firm voice. “Get your stuff and let’s go!”

“How are you going to leave her behind?! What if it was one of us in her situation?!” Chanyeol exclaimed incredulously.

“My orders would be the same,” Suho responded immediately. His heart cracked at the looks of betrayal they were giving him, but he couldn’t waiver in his orders. He couldn’t sacrifice all of their lives to save her. I’m so sorry, Mira.

“Now get your stuff, and lets go. I won’t say it again,” Suho ordered as he turned away from the others to begin collecting their belongings.

“I agree with him,” Kyungsoo finally spoke up. “We won’t be any help to the world if we lose our lives now. We just have to hope that Mira will be able to hold her own.”

He stared at the other four who still didn’t know what to do. “Your mission is not to save the Ultimate, it’s to save the world. Remember that.”

“!” Jongin exclaimed angrily as he stomped back to gather his stuff together. “I can’t ing believe we’re going to - !”

“Hyung…” Sehun whispered as he looked over

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter