Book 1: Four

Ultimate Balance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mira stared blankly back at him, her lips pressed into a thin line, “No.”

Sehun’s face immediately dropped at her reply and he flung his limbs into the air as protest, “Why not?!”

“Do I really have to give you reasons when it’s pretty clear why I wouldn’t?” Mira responded as she held up her hand to shoo Sehun away. “Now back up, you’re way too close.”

Sehun initially stepped backwards at her words, but then he paused thoughtfully. A sly smile spread across his lips, and his eyes lit up mischievously, “I see, is human contact your weakness? In that case -!”

Mira’s eyes widened when Sehun’s hand darted forward to press against her arm, and she immediately grabbed a hold of the closest item next to her to shove him away. A loud clang sounded through the room, and as an afterthought Mira supposed she might have acted just a little too rashly.

“Mira! I found … them… Mira, what are you doing?” Haiku stared at Sehun who was lying unconscious on the ground, and then at the pot that was gripped tightly by Mira’s hand.

“I did this for his own safety,” Mira answered calmly as she placed the pot quietly back onto the table.

“That’s not what it looks like!” Chanyeol exclaimed as he and the others ran forward to check on the status of their maknae.

"Yah! Yah Oh Sehun! Can you hear me?! Are you still alive?!" Chanyeol cried hysterically as he grabbed the boy by the shoulders to shake frantically back and forth.

"He's fine," Mira answered for him as she picked the cooking pan back up into her hand. She jabbed at his arm with the rim of the pot and scoffed, "Get up, brat."

"Fine," Sehun grumbled as he cracked his eyes opened. He pushed himself off the ground with his hands and brushed the imaginary dirt off of his pants. He turned to his Hyungs as if nothing had just happened and placed his hands on his hips, "It took you all long enough to find me."

"Whose fault is it for running off into the forest like an idiot?" Baekhyun scoffed as he smacked him against the back of his head.

Sehun opened his mouth to defend himself, but closed it after coming short with something to say. He grinned sheepishly at Baekhyun’s words and let out a nervous chuckle. "We-well if I hadn't left we wouldn't have found Mira, so you're all welcome!"

"Good, you've all found each other," Haiku stared blankly. He stretched out his arm to point at the front door, “Now leave.”

"No," Chanyeol shook his head stubbornly; he folded his arms as if to support just how serious he was being.

Mira sighed as she watched Haiku argue with the other boys who refused to leave, and leaned herself against the counter. Her eyes flittered across the faces of the intruders without much interest until they narrowed down on a particular figure. It had been for only a split second, but the boy at the far end of the room appeared as if he had been shining. It had been a quick flash of light but she knew she hadn’t been mistaken.

Wordlessly, Mira stepped up to the said boy, ignoring the confused expressions that were thrown her way. She reached out to touch him, but he immediately snapped his hand forward to knock hers away. Mira quickly snatched her hand back before he touched her skin, and the two stared silently at each other with hard expressions.

"Mira? Are you okay?" Haiku called out slowly, his eyes furrowing at the sudden interest she held for the human.

Mira continued to stare at the boy in silence.

"Is there something wrong?" He glared back at her, irritated that she stared at him for so long without any explanation.

Mira stared at him hard for a few more seconds, waiting for something to happen once more. When no such light appeared again, she quickly lost interested in the said boy.

"There's a leaf in your hair," Mira deadpanned before spinning around on her heels to go back to her previous position.

"I'll help you Baekhyun," Suho nodded as he brushed the bits of nature out of the other's hair. 

Baekhyun nodded him thanks as he glanced at Mira from the corner of his eyes. What the hell was up with her? His grandfather’s words flashed in his memory once again, and he felt his body tense. He’d have to make sure to watch himself more carefully around the Ultimate.

"You guys should leave now," Mira cleared as she stared at each of them dead in the eyes. 

"But we just got here," Chanyeol protested as he plopped down onto her bed, making himself right at home.

"Where do you think you're sitting?!" Haiku exclaimed in a shrill tone as he yanked Chanyeol from his seat. He quickly smoothed out the crinkles Chanyeol’s had made against the bed covers.

"Who is this?" Chanyeol grumbled after the rough man handling.

"God you're stupid," Haiku muttered under his breath. He turned around and pulled up his shirt to reveal his upper back. Tattooed across his shoulder blades was a pair of wings, one of them injured with bandages wrapped all around, "You shot a knife at my wing, remember?"

 

"You're the fairy?!" Jongin gaped with an open mouth as he scanned him from head to toe, "but you're huge!"

"You bet your I am, so you guys better watch yourselves," Haiku glared as he folded his arms in hopes of becoming more menacing.

"You guys have overstayed your welcome, so I believe it's time you leave. Haiku’s already bandaged Sehun’s injuries, but the creatures that attacked Sehun aren't even close to being the dangerous ones here. If you're smart, you'd leave the island," Mira stated stiffly as she straightened her back to seem more authoritative.

It didn’t work.

"Sehun got hurt?" Chanyeol asked with a cocked head of innocence. He stepped towards the younger with complete disregard to Mira's words. "Where did you get hurt maknae? Is it serious? Are you sure you can even move?!"

Sehun let out an over exaggerated whimper of pain as he slowly drew up the front of his shirt to reveal his bandaged torso.

"That looks painful!" Chanyeol gasped dramatically. "If you put strain on it your injury could get worse and you could die!"

 

"But he can't die! He's only 18! He hasn't lived his life to its fullest yet!" Jongin exclaimed, catching in on Chanyeol’s plan.

"It hurts so badly!" Sehun cried as he flung his body across the bed. He peeked a glance at Mira and let out another exaggerated wail, "the pain!"

Mira stared at their theatrical performance with a raised eyebrow, "What do you want me to do about it?"

"Here's a suggestion! How about I spend the night here to rest and heal?" Sehun beamed at his idea.

"Here's a better one," Mira responded flatly. "No." 

"Will you please at least hear us out on why we’re here?" Baekhyun asked.

Mira shook her head and nodded over to Sehun, "He already filled me in on the gist of it, and I'll tell you what I told him. No."

"No?" Chanyeol asked with a dropped jaw. "How can you possibly say no to saving the lives of the entire world?!"

Mira blinked, "Like this."

 

***

 

"Well that ," Jongin sighed as he kicked at the ground with his foot.

"I can't believe she threw us out!" Sehun huffed, dusting the dirt off the back of his pants.

"Technically the fairy threw us out," Chanyeol pointed out optimistically.

"How could she not help even after finding out that there are millions of lives at risk if she doesn't come with us?" Jongin cried incredulously as he threw his arms up into the air.

"She is the Ultimate of Darkness after all," Kyungsoo shrugged. "Isn't she supposed to be dark and evil and unwilling to help the common good?”

"I'm also supposed to eat children," Mira piped up as the door to her small home swung open.

"Well all the other rumors are true so I wouldn't put it pass you," Chanyeol muttered.

"Usually when you want somebody to do something for you you try being nice ups. I appreciate the change in tactic but it’s not going to work either," Mira shrugged. "Now can you guys please leave? You're taking up the room in my training sector."

"Training sector?" Jongin asked with furrowed eyebrows as he eyed the ground around them, "Why do you need a training sector?" 

"Because you clearly haven't seen the friendly monsters roaming around here," Mira responded sarcastically.

"Can't you just flick your hand or however you use your magic and kill your enemies?" Sehun asked with a cocked head of curiosity.

 

"You know, that's a good idea; I actually don't know," Mira nodded her head as she turned to Sehun with outstretched arms, "Why don't we try to find out?"

 

"I'll pass," he squeaked immediately as he hid himself behind Chanyeol.

 

"That's the first smart thing you've done today," Mira nodded approvingly. She flicked her hand as a gesture for them to leave, "Now go."

"We can't," Jongin shook his head as he cut in front of her. He summoned all of his courage to prevent himself from cowering under her intense glare, "We came here to get you to come back with us, and we aren't leaving until you agree."

"Well I guess you're out of luck," Mira shrugged as she turned her back on him. She drew her sword out of its sleeve to begin practicing, "So you should give u--"

Her sword hit the ground with a loud clatter and she nearly doubled over from the sudden jolt within her body. The boys jumped in surprise at the sudden movement, and they watched with open mouths as she fell to one knee.

"D-did one of you guys do something?" Jongin asked with wide eyes as he turned to the others who were equally as bewildered as he was.

"," Mira muttered under her breath as she felt rushes of power begin to pulse through her veins. “Not now, not now,” she grimaced as she pressed one hand to the ground to hold herself up. Her muscles screamed in protest as she worked hard to prevent her magic from leaking out of her body.

"Haiku! Haiku take them and leave!" Mira screamed as she used all of her power to stall the dark shift. Dark air began to leak from her body, immediately turning the grass at her feet into a patch of brown. "Hurry!"

"Get out of here!" Haiku exclaimed as he burst out of the cabin. He snatched onto the collars of Chanyeol and Jongin and dragged them into the hut, gesturing for the others to quickly follow. “Hurry up! The hut is protected against Mira’s magic!”

"Mira?" Sehun asked as he stared at her with a mix of confusion and concern. "Mira are you okay?"

"Get in the cabin!" Mira exclaimed as she clenched down hard on her teeth, her hands curling into tight fists at her sides as she tried to contain her power. Her heart beats began to accelerate rapidly, beating painfully against her chest with an increased amount of strength.

 “Go,” Baekhyun nodded as he pushed the younger towards the cabin. He took a few steps to follow behind, but hesitated as he glanced over his shoulder at the girl. A memory from his past flashed in his mind, and he f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter