Book 2: One

Ultimate Balance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The series of events that followed Mira’s agreement to join the journey of reuniting the Ultimates continued rather smoothly. Despite spending a majority of her life on the island, she didn’t find leaving it behind all too saddening. There was very little of her life she wanted to pack and bring along, so both the physical and emotional luggage she was leaving with consisted of very little. She was prepared to depart the island within the hour, and there was finally just one more thing she had to do before leaving.

“Ku,” Mira murmured under her breath as she shot the fairy a meaningful look. “You’ve been full sized for a long time, but if you’re not too tired… could you take me to see Sejoon?” She bit down on her bottom lip at the mention of her deceased brother – it had been quite a while since the familiar name had sounded in her ears.

Haiku stared at her for a few seconds before nodding his head. After speaking briefly with Suho to explain where the two of them were going, he gestured to his back for Mira to climb on. Within seconds, they were in the air.

Mira enjoyed feeling the wind blow through her hair, and she wrapped her arms tighter around Haiku’s neck. She nuzzled her face into his neck, knowing fully well that it would be a while before she’d be able to fly around with Haiku again. As far as she knew, full grown men with wings weren’t all too common in the main lands.

“Suho said we have five minutes,” Haiku nodded before silently slipping away to give Mira her privacy.

She gave him a weak smile of appreciation before turning to the tombstone that laid in isolation a few feet away. With a shaky breath and weary steps, she slowly stepped towards Sejoon’s grave. She gently brushed the tips of her fingers against the letters that she had crudely carved into a rock many years ago.

“Looks like Noona is leaving the island after all,” she whispered silently. A painful smiled slipped onto her face, and her eyes burned as they filled up with tears. “I wish you were here to come with me. I wish you were the one here instead of me to leave.”

A few minutes passed by with no other words spoken.

“Mira,” Haiku spoke up softly. He laid a hand on her shoulder, pretending to have not heard her earlier words. “It’s time to go, they’ve been waiting long enough.”

Mira remained silent for a few seconds before finally nodding her solemnly. She took a deep breath of air to calm herself before offering Haiku a small smile to relieve him of his worries. “Let’s go back.”

***

Two hours and Mira getting seasick almost three times later, the group of them were finally back on solid land.

“Who would have thought that the Ultimate’s greatest weakness would be boats,” Jongin snickered quietly to himself. He yelped when Mira jammed the back of her sheath into his torso and held his hands up in surrender.

“Human transportation is the worst,” Mira muttered under her breath, her face still a little green from the ride. She leaned herself against Baekhyun’s body to stable her ground, and was still too nauseous to miss how tense Baekhyun's body suddenly went. He glanced at her from the corner of his eyes and felt his whole body turn rigid. He definitely wasn't used to making physical contact with the Ultimate.

Haiku's wings fluttered angrily as he glared down at him. If Mira hadn’t forced him to transform back into a fairy, he wouldn’t let the brat lay a single finger on her body.

“You’re human too,” Sehun pointed out. He paused and tapped his chin thoughtfully. “Kind of.”

Mira chose to ignore him. She wiped away the sweat from her brow and stared up at the other boys to get her mind off of her nausea. "So, where are we supposed to find the next Ultimate?"

Her question was answered with a beat of silence, and she furrowed her eyebrows. “Don’t you dare tell me that you don’t know,” she growled under her breath. Her temper was quicker to trigger now that she had suffered two hours on that death contraption.

None of the boys dared to speak up, as they could practically see the dark aura that radiated off of her skin. Even Baekhyun attempted to take a step back, but she fastened her grip on his arm with a narrowed glare.

Finally, it was Suho who spoke up. “Well… uh you see, we… we were kind of hoping that you could, uh, I don’t know, maybe like… help us with that," Suho admitted sheepishly as he rubbed the back of his neck. He had spent every year of his life battling the most fearsome creatures and undergoing the most painful creatures, yet found himself stuttering in the face of this teenage girl.

In his defense, Mira was scary.

Mira furrowed her eyebrows and snarled, albeit, a little gentler since she was talking to Suho, "What do you mean?"

Suho opened his mouth to respond, but closed it in silence.

Deciding to cut the elder some slack, Jongin continued on for him. "We mean, we need you to find the next Ultimate," Jongin answered.

Mira blinked. "Haiku, lets go home."

"Y-yah!" Baekhyun cried, cutting in front of the two who were already beginning to head back towards the island. "Look, we might not have all of our stuff together, but we need you, Mira."

Mira and Haiku paused meaningfully and exchanged glances. They sighed simultaneously and began heading back towards Baekhyun, which he could only assume meant that they were in. A wide grin spread across his face and he parted his arms to take them into a welcoming hug, "I knew you guys would-"

"Need you my ! How could you drag her along when you guys don't even have a plan?!" Haiku exclaimed as he smacked Baekhyun on the head with his little hand. Realizing that Haiku’s smack would do no damage

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter