Book 1: Twelve

Ultimate Balance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Baekhyun are you even listening to me?” Sehun barked with annoyance. He crossed his arms and huffed, “Just because I’m the youngest doesn’t mean you all can just ignore what I say!”

Baekhyun’s eyes darted back to Sehun. He gave an apologetic small and a small nod to gesture him to continue. As Sehun continued speaking, Baekhyun tried to concentrate, but he couldn’t help but feel uncomfortable under the sharp gaze Mira had trained on him. He glanced at her from the corner of his eye and jumped slightly when they met contact with Mira’s. She didn’t even flinch, and continued to stare at him with an unwavering gaze.

“Is there something you have to say, Mira?” Suho finally asked a few seconds of silence.

Mira continued to stare at Baekhyun, her facial expressions giving no hint as to what was running through her mind.

"Yeah, don't just stare Mira, it's kind of awkward," Chanyeol laughed nervously as his eyes darted back and forth between Mira and Baekhyun. “Do you have something to ask him?”

Everyone fell silent, and all eyes became trained on the girl in question.

"Why can I touch you?" Mira asked with narrowed eyes of suspicion, not bothering to beat around the bush.

"Uh..." Baekhyun responded blankly, having no idea why Mira was asking him such a question. "Is there something wrong with touching me?"

"Don't you understand why I'm so serious about no skin contact?" Mira asked with furrowed eyebrows. She would have expected them to have caught on by now.

The boys stared blankly back at her.

"Are you guys stupid?" Haiku cried incredulously, voicing the thoughts that the pair was both thinking.

"Because you don't like skin contact...?" Sehun asked with a cocked head. He cowered under Haiku’s judgmental glare.

"It's cause she can't, you goddamn idiots," Haiku scoffed. He also added under his breath, "and were supposed to trust you guys to be the saviors of the world?"

"You can't... touch human skin?" Chanyeol blinked slowly. He cocked his head and tapped on his chin thoughtfully before snapping his fingers in realization. “Are you like allergic?”

"God you're stupid," Haiku groaned as he threw his hands into the air with exasperation. "If Mira makes skin contact with you, you're likely to feel the effects of her power. Mira automatically saps away the energy of any living thing that comes into contact with her. If you touched her, you should have felt some sort of backlash on the impact.”

There was a pregnant silence as the members processed the words Haiku had to say. Baekhyun stared at the fingers he had used earlier to touch Mira’s back and chewed down on his bottom lip in confusion. In any case, he didn’t feel particularly strange. He felt all the boys train their gazes onto him, and began to break into a cold sweat.

"So what are you?" Mira asked clearly as she folded her arms. She cocked an eyebrow and stared sharply at Baekhyun. "Are you an Ultimate like me?"

"Well, no," Baekhyun replied blankly as he scratched the back of his head.

"Then are you a mythical creature like Haiku?" She asked, jerking her head in the fairy's direction.

Baekhyun frowned as he shook his head, "As far as I know I'm 100% human."

"Maybe it was just a glitch and he got lucky," Suho suggested as he shrugged his shoulders.

"You should touch him again to confirm that you really don't have an effect on him," Jongin nodded his head eagerly in agreement. Whether Baekhyun was actually immune from Mira's powers or would knock out at the touch were both amusing situations in Jongin’s eyes.

Mira opened to protest, but her curiosity got the better of her and she nodded her head in agreement, "Okay."

"Wait a minute," Baekhyun protested as he backed away from her with his hands held up in defense, "What if I really did just get lucky earlier? What's going to happen if I actually do receive her full effect this time?"

"Relax, you won't die," Haiku answered with encouragement. He was hoping that Baekhyun had just lucked out on a one time occurrence earlier, but he wasn’t voicing his thoughts. The corner of his lips twitched with delight and his eyes gleamed brightly, “It’ll be over before you know it.”

Baekhyun paled and nervously swallowed a gulp of air. The look on Haiku’s face only multiplied his nerves. "Fantastic."

Mira walked towards Baekhyun, quickly decreasing the gap of space between them. "Don't be nervous," she reassured him as she began to reach out to touch his arm.

Baekhyun flinched, "Easy for you to say."

She glanced at him hesitantly, and paused for a brief moment before continuing on. All of the boys held their breaths as they watch Mira's bare hand land on Baekhyun’s forearm.

Nothing happened.

Everyone’s eyes narrowed down at the place where Mira and Baekhyun were touching, waiting for some effect to hit him.

“Well that was a disappointment,” Haiku remarked.

"You really are immune," Mira muttered under her breath as she retracted her hand. She glanced back at Haiku for an answer to the mystery, but he simply shook his head in response. Even he didn't know why Baekhyun wasn't effected.

"Maybe your powers don't work anymore?" Chanyeol pitched in. He thought back to all the other instances in which Mira had used her magic, "Well, that specific power anyways."

Mira stared blankly down at the palms of both of her hands. Before anybody could protest, sh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter