Book 1: Eleven

Ultimate Balance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


"Holy ," Chanyeol murmured under his breath as he eyed the lifeless bodies that laid scattered across the ground.

"Are they dead?" Sehun asked in a hoarse whisper, voicing the thoughts that everybody had been thinking but didn't want to know the answer to.

It was Kyungsoo who finally got the courage to approach one of the unconscious bodies. Death was something that they all had gotten used to long ago, but knowing that Mira may have been the one to slaughter all these men made them nervous. With shaking hands, Kyungsoo pressed two of his fingers to the neck of a man to find his pulse. He let out a breath of relief when he felt a soft pulse beat against his fingers.

Baekhyun took Kyungsoo’s relief as a good sign, and he darted his head around to look for Mira. The Ultimate was nowhere in sight, and for a few seconds he feared that she might have gotten hurt in the process of fighting back.

The four boys looked up at the sound of something steadily beating the air. Haiku quickly descended onto the ground, his wings tucking back into his full grown body.

“That was quick,” Chanyeol nodded as he looked around for the other males. “Where are Suho and Jongin?”

Haiku shook his head and wiped the sweat that had formed on his forehead, “I left them behind. I fly faster than those things you call transportation.”

Without sparing them anymore words, Haiku sprinted into the house to search for Mira. He came back out seconds later. Clearly Mira wasn't to be found within the home, and Haiku tightened his clenched fists. He should have stayed with her. He should have protected her - not from these pathetic excuses for men, but from herself.

"Haiku, do you know where Mira is?" Baekhyun asked with furrowed eyebrows.

He might have had a hunch, but he surely wasn't about to tell the others that. It was their fault in the first place that Mira had been ambushed. If those damn humans hadn't come in the first place than nobody would have heard about this small island or the Ultimate who lived on it.

Without another word to the others, wings sprouted from Haiku's back. It took quite a lot of energy to form wings in his full sized form, but at that point it was a sacrifice worth making.

"Haiku, where's Mira?" Baekhyun demanded as he turned to stare straight at the fairy.

Again, Haiku ignored his words, choosing instead to launch into the air. He was physically exhausted from the journey, but he refused to let that get the better of him. His wings fluttered heavily behind him as he shot towards the one place he expected Mira to be. Haiku’s eyes darted around wildly, desperately searching for the smaller girl. Finally, he found her. Her back was pressed against the tombstone they had created for Sejoon eight years ago.

"Mira..." Haiku whispered quietly as he landed a few feet in front of where the girl was seated.

Her knees were pulled to her chest and her face was buried in her arms, her long black hair spilling over like a water fall. The earth at her feet had transformed to a coarse black, and the flowers Haiku had placed at Sejoon’s grave a few days ago had wilted.

"Mira," Haiku called out her name again, this time with my force than the first one.

Mira didn't react to his words initially, but after a few seconds she finally mumbled under her breath, "Are they okay?"

"Yeah," Haiku nodded his head, taking her words as a sign that she had already calmed down.

"It was an accident," Mira murmured weakly, her voice muffled against her skin. "I just meant to scare them a little bit, I didn’t… I did-didn’t think I’d lose control."

Haiku shook his head and placed a gentle hand on her shoulder, frowning when she flinched at the touch. "You don't have to defend yourself, Mira. You haven't done anything wrong; it was them who tried to harm you in the first place."

"I tried to warn them," Mira muttered, completely deaf to Haiku’s words. "I told them to stay 4away but they wouldn't listen to me, they wouldn't listen and I started losing control." Her whole body began to tremor as she recalled the moment it had all happened.

Haiku gripped each of her shoulders firmly in his hands and forced her to look at him. He swallowed down the heart wrenching sight of Mira's vulnerable expression, and spoke in a low and firm voice, "Listen to me Mira. This was not your fault. Those men tried attacking you and you simply defended yourself, do you understand me?"

Mira let out a soft whimper, but nodded her head quietly. "Are those... Are those men okay? I tried holding back my power after the outburst, but I'm sure I still made some damage."

Haiku nodded with tight lips, "They'll be fine, the boys are tending to them now. You should have killed the-"

"The boys?" Mira asked, her face twisting into a horrified expression. "What do you mean the boys? Why are they still on this island? I thought they were supposed to be back on the mainland."

Haiku stared back at her with an uneasy expression and hesitantly answered, "We had landed on the mainland... but we heard rumors going around that a ship had departed for Irasle and hurried back."

Mira's heart dropped at his words and she immediately backed away from him. Her voice dropped to a scarce whisper, "They’re going to think I'm a monster."

They had seen the magnitude of her power before, she knew that, but this... this was a whole different issue. She had harmed humans – humans that were just as weak and vulnerable as the Exo boys.

She let out a low, bitter chuckle, and the wilted petals of the flowers on Sejoon's grave, "Then again, I am a monster."

"Listen to me Mira," Haiku stated firmly as he gripped Mira's chin to tilt her face upwards. He cupped both of her cheeks in the palms of his hands and stared straight into her eyes, "You are not a monster."

Hearing it come from someone else didn't make her feel as good as she thought it would.

The distant call of her name echoed across the air, and Mira's head snapped in the direction of the cry. Her eyes widened in realization, and she quickly fumbled up to her feet to escape meeting the other boys.

"Mira where do you think you're going?" Haiku demanded as he pressed his hands against his hips.

"Away," Mira quickly responded as she stumbled over her feet in her eagerness to get away. Her head darted back and forth to find a safe place to hide, satisfied with anything so long as it kept her from sight. She ignored the cries of protest Haiku was shouting out behind her, and continued to sprint through the forest. Her final destination was a small cave hidden away by the shrubs of the forest; it was a cramped space, but at least it would keep her away from the other boys.

She pulled her knees up to her chest to press herself closer to the stone wall; her ears kept

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter