The Party

She's a Fool ... Now What?

Dara held her breathe as they were entering the house. All eyes were on them. It was like they were the center of attraction. She lowered her head consciously with her hands clung on Jiyong’s arms. The birthday party that she has in mind was too far from what’s on location. It was more of a gangster’s meet up/get together or something.

“Oppa, I can’t believe they’re your friends.” she muttered.

“Scared of them?” He asked. She didn’t answer him directly but through her reactions, it was apparent that she was.

A guy in a mohawk came across the living room. He gestured to stop the sounds. Then the whole house went quiet. The guy walked towards them, beaming. His smile was different compared to the first guy who approached them.

“Hey, bro! Happy birthday!” Jiyong greeted him then gave him a light hug.

“Yeah, thanks. Where’s my gift?”

“Oh, I left it in the car. I’ll just give it to you later. By the way, this is Dara.” He introduced her to him.

“Hello … Happy birthday.” She timidly said. He stuck his hands out. Dara accepted it.

“Thanks. I’m Young Bae. It’s a pleasure to meet such a beautiful lady like you.”

Dara’s face blush a little. “Oh, no I’m not  … but thanks.”

Young Bae motioned them to follow him. Jiyong granted it. They walk past through teenagers that were beat boxing. Some were holding skate boards and some were just banging their heads with some hip hop sounds. Dara just shook her head with the new atmosphere.

Jiyong and Young Bae walked ahead of her. She followed them. The two were talking to each other in a low voice. She can’t barely hear what they were talking about.

She felt something unusual about the party. She never had imagined herself in that kind of party. Not even in her sane mind she thought of Jiyong being engaged in such an unlikely gangster’s stuff. He’s a smart guy; top student of the class being friends with those teenagers was a strange thing.

She recessed her thoughts. She knew she’s not that intelligent to judge someone by whom their friends are but Jiyong’s a different story. She trusted him. She looked up at him more than anyone else. She adored everything in him but now, there’s something in him that she doesn’t know. Maybe he’s not what she thought he is. Well, they just meet again after such long years of not seeing each other.

She thought about what had happen few days ago. He became smooth and nice to her all of a sudden when he wasn’t like that from the very start. He even gave her a heart necklace. She wondered what he’s up to. He might probably be doing something not good to her. When his mother asked about the necklace, he doesn’t want her to know that it was from him.

Dara’s pulse went faster. What if they’ll her or kill her? As what she had witnessed, those guys followed her with a lusting gape.  All she wanted that moment was to go back home. Jiyong must have been planning something.

Someone snapped a finger on her. “What are you thinking?”

Dara jerked like she has just awakened from a nightmare. “Huh? I want to go home now, oppa.” She looked at Jiyong who was giving her a wondering look.

“What? I said, what are you thinking? You looked bothered there. Is something wrong? Are you hungry?” Jiyong worriedly asked her.

She scanned around. The place where she was standing now was totally different from what they had passed awhile ago. They were settled into a quieter place. It was when she realized, they were in the middle of a garden. It was like a paradise. The banging sounds can’t be heard anymore.

“Dara, we’re here in our garden. Isn’t it nice? I only bring few friends here.”  Young Bae broke her short moment.

Jiyong patted her shoulders then gave her a smile. “I know what you’re thinking. You thought I’m some kind of a bad guy?”

Dara didn’t answer and just gave him an apologetic look. She’s ashamed of herself on why such ideas popped out of her mind.

“Uh, … Sorry, oppa. I was just thinking …”

“About what? About the party?”

“Don’t worry … It’ll be tonight. Some of our close friends will be here. You’ll meet them too.” It was Young Bae who was smiling sweetly at her.

“Oh.” That’s all she could say. She swallowed all her crazy thoughts.    

 “Should we eat first? I’m kinda hungry right now. I haven’t eaten yet since this morning coz I wanted to share the table on my birthday with my closest friend.” Young Bae said.

Jiyong chuckled. “Don’t say that. If TOP is here, you’ll be dead.”

“He’s enjoying the beat there. You know, he doesn’t want a quiet place.” The two of them laughed. Dara was just quiet at the side.

**********

A bountiful table welcomed them at the dining area of the house. Dara was impressed with the food. Different kinds of sea foods were there. The table was long and can occupy almost a dozen of guests. TOP was there, taking charge of the preparation. He was smiling at her when they entered. Her impression on him changed with what she just witnessed. The gangster side of him turned into a gentle, sweet guy.

“Hey, you’re already here?” TOP asked in an unwelcoming tone. His gape was on Young Bae.

“OH, sorry bro. I forgot to inform you. I left my phone in my room. We’re hungry.” Young Bae said with a playful smile.

“What are you smiling at?” TOP asked him.

“Nothing. The apron looks good on you.” He teased.

“Oh, really? I should take culinary arts in college then.” 

Jiyong chuckled. “Really, bro? You got to be kidding.”

Young Bae laughed with Jiyong. TOP stared at them with a what’s-wrong-with-you-guys look. He creased his forehead while changing his glances on the two. Then his eyes darted on Dara. Her face was serious. It looked like she was on TOP’s side. What’s wrong with culinary arts? He twitched his lips and took off his apron.

“Yah! The two of you stop it. I’m hungry. Come on here, Dara.” He led Dara to the table. His hands were on her shoulders. Then he pulled the chair for her.

“Thanks.” Dara shyly said. The thought of her about him based on his physique vanished.

Jiyong noticed what his friend just did. With that, he patted Young Bae. The latter noticed it too. They exchanged glances then proceeded to join the two in the table. A smile curved on TOP’s face when the two were pacing towards them. Not inviting them in the table was somewhat his little revenge for laughing at him.

“Done with your gag?” TOP inquired.

There was still laughter even when they were sharing the table. Young Bae usually cracked his lame jokes. He kept on relaying things that TOP did when they were still young. Jiyong would definitely laugh about it. They kept on bullying the tall guy in front of Dara. On the side, the only girl was just quiet listening to them. She can’t join because in the first place, she just met them.

While  Jiyong and Young Bae were talking to themselves, the other guy took the chance to talk to Dara.

“Hey, Dara. You’re silent.”

“Oh, don’t worry. I’m okay.” She timidly answered.

“Just don’t mind the two. You know, they didn’t meet for a long time. They were friends since elementary.”

“I see. So how did you meet them?” Dara inquired.

“Me? I’m friends with Young Bae but I’m attending in a different school. He introduced me to Jiyong and that’s it. We became friends.”

“So you’ve been friends for a long time already.”

“Yeah, actually I felt like I’ve known you for so long too. Jiyong kept on mentioning you before.” he relayed.

“Really? I’m sure he keeps on telling you about how pissed he was with me.”

“Exactly!” TOP agreed. “But he told that you look cute with a ribbon on your hair that’s why he kept on pulling it.”

Dara was stunned with what TOP just said. Jiyong found her cute? Somehow, she was flattered by that but she suppressed herself not to react transparently. She swallowed the lump on . TOP handed her a glass of water when he noticed that she choked.

“It seems like you two are comfortable with each other now.” Young Bae cut in.

“Yes we are! Dara is fun to talk to unlike the two of you. We’re having a good time here. Right, Dara?” TOP said with a smile.

“Yah, TOP! Don’t ever cross the line.” It was Young Bae. He was pertaining to Jiyong who kept on glancing at their side while they were talking.

The tall guy laughed. He understood what Young Bae was trying to say. Jiyong has a thing on Dara and he doesn’t want to be involved with that. They were best friends. Crazy thoughts popped of his mind but he declined it. He might ruin Young Bae’s special day. Going with the flow must be the best way to do.

**********

They rested for a while. Dara occupied one of the guest rooms of the house. Jiyong was on the next door. She plopped down to bed and recessed her thoughts. She erased all her doubts and crazy ideas about Jiyong and his friends. You should not judge a person just by looking at their physique. In just a short time, she knew that TOP has a gentle side and Young Bae was funny though he looked serious in his mohawk.

A light knock on the door woke her up. She slowly rose up and headed to the door. A girl in a house maid uniform greeted her with a sweet smile. She was holding a box.

“Hello, pretty lady. You must be Dara.”

“Hi.” Dara greeted the not so old lady.

“The guests are coming so you have to be ready now. This is what you’re going to wear and I’m going to dress you up. Can I come in?”

“W—wh---sure.” She let her in.

The older lady placed the box on top of her bed then smiled at her. “You’re very pretty. This dress fits you well.”

“U-hm, sorry … but no need for me to wear that dress. It doesn’t fit me. It looked so elegant and I’m not used to that.”

“Young Bae ordered me to give this to you. You’re gorgeous and I’m sure you’ll look like a princess with this.” The older girl complimented her.

“But …”

“NO buts. You should wear this.”

With hesitation, Dara wore the dress. It fitted her so well. It was a black one, knee length with silver linings. Its strap complimented her perfect arms. She glanced at the mirror and stared at her reflection. A light smile arched on her lips. She too was amazed with the clothing. The older lady took off Dara’s geek glasses.

“Let’s not use it for the meantime.” The older girl was talking about the glass.

“But …”

She chuckled. “I know you’re just using it to hide your face. You’re pretty and you should flaunt it.”

The older girl removed her tie. She let Dara’s long hair fall on her shoulders. She curled the tip of it and applied a light make up on her face. Then she took a lip gloss and brushed it on Dara’s thin lips. The younger girl wasn’t used to it but she can’t resist the older lady. For almost an hour, she was totally dressed up.

“You’re a goddess, dear!” The older girl said with a wide grin.

“Really? Do you think they won’t laugh at me?”

“Of course not! You’re prince will be awed by your beauty.”

“My prince?”

“Oh, I’d better go now. Just stay here for a while.” she said while giggling.

Dara went to the mirror. She wanted to see herself. She appeared like a different person upon looking at her reflection in the mirror. Without her geek glasses and a light make up transformed her into a gorgeous lady. Then she felt like believing the compliments towards her.

Someone knocked so she went to the door. She slowly opened the knob. Young Bae’s mouthed opened without blinking. His eyes were fixed on her. It was like he was dumbfounded.

“Hi, Young Bae. I think … I’m ready for your party.” She said.

Young Bae snapped back. “OH! Wow! You look stunning. I never thought it’s you.”

“Oh, thanks …”

“So, shall we?” Young Bae offered his arms. Dara who was still ashamed, held his arms and walked with him along the hallway.

“Jiyong will be surprised by this.” He continued.