Shine A Light

MIND BANK

TITLE: SHINE A LIGHT

 

Music is my everything.

 

I don’t think I can go a day without it. It’s my air, my oxygen. It is what keeps me going. I can’t survive without music. And I’m not exaggerating. I actually think that maybe the musical notes raised me. They’ve been there since I can remember. I can still remember how excited I am whenever my mom will start playing the piano then my dad will play the violin. The two of them playing is the most peaceful thing I’ve seen. The way their fingers move just fascinates me. They look so free like nothing else matters.

Life is unfair. Have you heard of that? I’m so happy to have them as my parents but life is, of course, there to ruin it. I’ve lost my parents in a car crashed. I’ve never once played a single note after that night.

I don’t know how I moved on with my life. I am struggling to find the real me. Will I be able to find it? Will I be able to find the will to stand up and get out of the darkness I locked myself into?

I am twenty years old, been living on my own for two years now and been dealing with life uncertainties bravely. My name is Dara and this is my journey to my dream.

 

 

______________________________________________________

this is a story about Dara who found her way back to music and Jiyong who lost his way. They will kind of help each other in achieving their dreams.

i have a draft chapter one. if you want to adopt it as well its fine if you dont its fine :) you can change the characters too if you want.

heres the chapter one.

 

_______________________________________________

 

CHAPTER 1

 

 

It’s almost the end of my duty but hell I don’t think I can go home with these volume of costumers. I’ve been sleepless because of the final examinations and I got my part time job after school. All I want is a long sound sleep. Is that too much to ask? I think our customers are all secretly my haters. They’re ganging up on me I’m sure of it.

 

“Dara work overtime. I’ll pay you.” yelled my boss.

 

Oh well, it’s not like I’m working for free so I guess that’s fine. I don’t actually have to work. I’m living just fine with the money my parents left. But my bank account don’t reproduce you know. It’s not infinite so I’m saving for my future. Mom and dad up there, are you proud?

If not for my uncle who pays for my school fees I maybe working my till I drop dead. I cannot thank them enough for looking after me even though they’re in Seoul. They tried to persuade me to live with them but I just can’t leave our house just like that. I guess deep inside I haven’t really moved on.

 

Even before she entered the premises I can already feel the dark aura she’s emitting. I always knew Bommie is not human. I have a strong feeling she’s hiding a spaceship somewhere. She’s maybe an alien spy or something. That would be so cool, though. I am lazing out on the staff’s room when the door suddenly burst open that the hinges almost fell. I turned ever so slowly for I am afraid on whatever misfortune that is about to befall on me. There, standing in the doorway is a red head ahjumma. Tattered clothes, disheveled hair, smudged mascara in short a pissed Park Bom. In other words, Dara in trouble.

 

“Yah ahjumma! I know you party hard but seriously?!”

 

“Don’t start or I’ll eat you.”

 

“Aigoo. Just what’s with you lately? You’re always grumpy. How’s your mom?”

 

Bom headed for the couch and seated next to me. She rested her heavy head on my tiny shoulders. Brace yourself, a drama episode people. A wailing pig is about to come your way.

 

“Worse. She’s using her condition to force me to go back to them. Dara-ah why don’t you just go with me? huh?”

 

She said with a puppy eyes. Good thing it suits her or else I would’ve poke them out that instant. I handed her the tissue box on the coffee table because puppy eyes and smudged mascara is not really a good combination.

 

“Bommie, why don’t you just go back?”

 

She abruptly sat straight and started bawling like a kid. Her smudged heavy mascara is now trickling down her cheeks. It’s not a very pleasant sight, I tell you.

 

“waaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!! Sandara Paaarkk! Are you trying to get rid of me? Nooo, please I promise I won’t eat your donuts anymore.” Cried the grandma beside me. Aigoo.

 

“There, there. Stop crying, okay? I’m not telling you to step out of our house. Everything’s gonna be alright. Just buy me a box of donuts, neh?" 

 

“Damn you.” I still love her though.

 

“Let’s just talk about this after work, neh?”

 

“Eh, overtime?”

 

“Yeah, it’s pretty packed tonight. Anyway, fix yourself. You’re already late as it is and you looking like a madman right now won’t be a good sight for boss.”

 

She nodded and rested her head on my shoulders AGAIN. Wah, didn’t she heard what I just said. I pinched her on the sides pretty hard to make her realize that getting her up right now is a good idea. She whimpered in pain and looked me squarely in the eyes. She stood in front of me and put her hands on her hips. Uh-oh. Was that too hard? She was about to talk when one of our co workers entered the room telling us that break time is over.

 

“Aish. I’ll just kill you later, Dara.” Said my best friend who just threatened me. Heol.

 

She grudgingly went to the bathroom to change on working attire. I cleaned the table and pulled my hair on a bun before heading out of the room. When I opened the door the booming sound of the dance floor downstairs welcomed me. The rooms on the second floor are packed tonight and probably for the coming weeks since school is almost over and because a lot have decided to waste their money on a few drinks to celebrate their closing party.

 

The second floor of the club I work at is mostly consisted of rooms that offer more privacy than the ground floor where lone party goers hangout. Upstairs is where me and Bom are assigned. I headed to the bar counter to deliver some pending orders.

 

“Hey Kevin. How’s it going?” I casually greeted the bartender.

 

“Dara! This is room 4 and take orders in room 7, please. Bom is pissed, huh?” He said in a teasing voice while pushing the tray towards me.

 

“Yeah, pretty much. Don’t , not tonight. And for your own safety, don’t comment on her neon colored shoes.”

 

“What was that, Dara? I didn’t quite hear you.” BOMINATOR ALERT! OTTOKHE?!

 

“Oh hey Bom, I said take orders in room 7. They just got in.” I said with a nervous smile.

 

“Oh yeah? Good for you I’m a bit tired.” She said with a rather scary smile.

 

She grabbed an order sheet and went to room 7. I heaved a sigh of relief because escaping the claws of Park Bom is only happening once in a blue moon. I consider myself very lucky. Very lucky. I waved to Kevin and went to serve the drinks.

 

It’s almost midnight and my duty is almost over. The drink orders decreased as the night stretches. I rested my hands on the railing and watched the people downstairs having a good time dancing to the song ‘Crooked’. I listened to the song and I can say that it is great club song. The type that makes the party folks go wild. Nice beat, nice everything but the lyrics.

 

“Maybe the one who wrote this has some serious issues. I wonder what kind of ordeal he’s going through.”

 

I was too caught up on my scholarly song evaluation that I didn’t notice Bom standing next to me.

 

“Yeah, I agree. I wonder if I didn’t get help or support to the people I love, say friends, will I be able to get through all the obstacles?” Heol.

 

“You mean, say Dara Park? Nice try Bommie but no. N to the O.”

 

She grabbed my shoulders and shook me with every syllable.

 

“Come with me to Seoul.”

 

“Park Bom! You know, I will help and support you to the best of my ability but to go and settle somewhere I know nothing about is, well, unsettling.”

 

I explained with the hopes of maybe this is the last. The puppy eyes. The pouted lips. Park Bom’s have-pity-on-me combo attack. Aigoo.

 

“Okay, fine. I’ll go IF the next person to go upstairs is wearing a blue shirt.”

 

I’m confident because its past midnight and no one’s going to go here now. I expected her to rattle on me because of my lame condition but to my surprised she actually clasped her hands and whispered a prayer. Heol. While she had her eyes closed I started to back away and to leave her alone there but, a BIG EFFIN BUT, I heard the clanking sound of footstep on the stairs. Nah. That can’t be and besides if someone is coming she has to be wearing a blue shirt. Nope. Bom’s prayer is not actually working, right? RIGHT?! Yeah. That sound was just an imagination created by my guilt.

I stopped on my tracks and stared at the stairs. Using my ninja ears I confirmed that the footsteps I heard is not a product of my imagination. When the first person emerged Bom opened her eyes and squealed on delight. As for me, time slowed down. Of all the clothes this kid has to wear, why blue? WAE? Is she even old enough to enter a bar?!

When the kid passed by us I gave her a not so friendly look. Bom hugged me and told me to man up and stand on my words. She went to the staff room to prepare to go home. Just after she left, a number of teenagers started emerging from the stairs. They are with the kid a while ago, I guess. A whole class which for some reason decided to wear a fcking blue shirt. The kid earlier is not the only one on blue but all of them! The kids are on different shades of blue like they are assuring Bom’s plea.

 

Waaaaah! Divine intervention? Nah, don’t think so.

 

This is Park Bom’s hidden alien power. Don’t get me wrong. I’m happy to be of help to my best friend. But of all the places where she live, why Seoul? I mean it can be just like a block away on my house, right?!

 

Sigh.

 

It’s fate, I guess.

 

Sigh.

 

A caveman is about to live in a civilized city.

 

Sigh.

 

Sigh.

 

Well, let’s just look on the bright side. Yeah? I will get to see my relatives! See? Positive vibes! Positive vibes! And maybe I can start a new chapter on my life. Positive vibes! I was busy on the monologue inside my head when Bom hit the back of my head. She told me to change clothes so we can go home. Just because she know I never go back to my words she is now treating me like this. Really, now. Nonetheless, I headed to the staff room to get ready for home. Bom was able to summon teenagers who are wearing blue. She can turn anyone into a frog for all I know. Better comply than be sorry, you know.

 

The walk home is unusually quiet. This is unusual.

 

Bom is usually noisy. That is her usual self. Ugh.

 

What’s with her? Why is she not talking? I already agreed to go so why sulk? I’m about to ask what’s wrong when she talked.

 

“Dara-ah, I lied to you. Mianhae. I’m not a teenage runaway who is having her rebel years.” She faced me and held my hands.

 

“Of course not, silly. You’re twenty not a teenager.” I said flatly.

 

“No, really. When we first met I said I just want a break. I just want to get away from everythig. Well that is partly true but you dont what or why I am running away. The truth is I'm really part of the Park Group of Companies. I am Korea's Park Jenny. I'm so sorry Dara, please deapite of the lie, please go to Seoul with me. Pretty please?"

 

Well I can see the sincerity but WAIT!

O M G!!

Did she just say Park Jenny?!

OMO! WAAAH! -____- Who's that?

 

"Park Jenny? Cool name Bom." I said with disnterest. "I don't back down on my words, you know me." I assured her.

 

Looks like I'm gonna spend some time walking around the streets of Seoul. What I want to know though is WHY IS OUR HOUSE NOT GETTING ANY CLOSER ? We've been walking for a while. Aigoo.

 

"You caveman! I'll hold on to your words then. I just hope you won't change your mind the moment you step foot in my house. I'm a monster but my mom is the mother monster." She said while grabbing my hair.

 

I gathered my will not to grab Bom's hair in return. I just want to rest, it's been a long day. I miss my bed, so much. We are almost near our house when i noticed the bright star filled night sky. As i look up the sky i felt peace and calm. It is as if when the stars blink they are singing a lullaby for me. Stars shine a light in a dark night.