Ch 5

Just Wanna Be With You

They spent the rest of the afternoon just talking. Stories about their rambunctious childhoods, misadventures in high school, odd quirks that no one else seemed to understand, almost anything was game. Close to six in the evening, about four hours after Taecyeon came to apologize, Minjun straightened up, “Do you want to go out to a music festival tonight?”

Taecyeon tilted his head, “A festival?”

“It’s a free event held at the park near the University. You want to?” Excitement gleamed in his eyes.

“Sounds like fun. How long is it?”

“It runs until 2am but we will have to leave before then.”

“Why?” he asked.

“Wooyoung and Junho will have to come with us. They still have a bedtime.” Minjun said matter-a-factly.

As much as Taecyeon enjoyed being with the boys, he wanted some real alone time with Minjun. “Or I have a friend who can watch them.”

“A friend?”

“He has a son about the same age as Junho and I am sure he and his wife would have no problem watching the boys while we go out.” Taecyeon tried to persuade.

“But Taec I don’t want to impose on your friend.”

“It’ll be fine. In fact…” Before Minjun could protest he pulled out his phone and called Nichkhun.

“Yeoboseyo?”

“Hey it’s me,” Taec started in English.

“Yo man, how did it go?”

“Great. Remember me telling you about my cr-friend’s two kids?” He almost said crush.

“Yes?”

“Could you look after them tonight so we can go out?”

“Sure Taec. You can even bring them over now and we’ll give them dinner.”

“Thanks man. Be there soon.”

He hung up and gave Minjun a triumphant smile. He could have sworn he saw Minjun blush as the older man stood up to get the boys.

*      *       *

It took a while to convince Junho and Wooyoung to get in Taecyeon’s car. But with bribes of a new friend and promises of Minjun sitting right next to them, Taec and Minjun finally coaxed the boys into the car. He still had Kwon’s CD playing in the car and was surprised to hear Junho and Wooyoung singing along. The words weren’t always correct but they had the basic tune.

When they finally arrived at the high rise apartment the boys were quite happy to get out. Once Minjun grabbed the two backpacks he packed for the boys they set up to the apartment. Wooyoung immediately latched himself onto Minjun’s unoccupied hand. When Junho tried to take his other, Wooyoung scolded him, “No I’m the hyung so I get to hold Appa’s hand.”

This caused little Junho to tear up. Before Minjun could scold the older, Taec knelt next to Junho, “Hey if you want to you can hold my hand.” Junho wiped his eyes and nodded as he reached for the bigger hand. Just as they were about to enter the building Wooyoung dropped Minjun's hand and ran to Taec’s side. “I want hold hyung’s hand too.”

Taec looked at Junho, “Is that alright Junho?”

“Yeah, hyung can hold Taec-hyung's hand.” Taec's heart soared at the acceptance of the two boys. Minjun couldn’t help chuckling at their actions.

The boys babbled excitedly as the elevator rose to the fourteenth floor. They still had not let go of Taecyeon’s hands. The elevator arrived and Taecyeon lead them to apartment 1401. With a small smile he pulled his hand out of Wooyoung’s grip and knocked on the door.

“There you are I was starting to wonder if you got lost,” Khun said as he opened the door.

Taecyeon smiled, “Sorry it took a little longer to get the boys in to the car.” He motioned to the little ones who were currently hiding behind his legs from the really tall man.

Khun smiled and waved as they shyly peaked at him. Then he looked at the familiar man accompanying his friend and did a double-take. “Minjun-ah?”

“Nichkhun-hyung?” He was just as shocked.

“I guess you two know each other.” Did not see that one coming.

Khun cleared his throat, “Let's get the boys settled then we can talk.” They filed into the apartment leaving their shoes by the entrance. “Qian, they’re here.”

Victoria Qian Song, dance instructor extraordinaire, scurried out from the kitchen. Originally recruited to debut, the Chinese beauty found her niche in teaching and sometimes choreographing. Holding onto her apron was a slightly heavy three-year-old covered in flour. Once his father was in sight, the boy waddled over and hugged his clean pants.

Khun sputtered at the white powder, “What happened?”

His wife shrugged, “What happens anytime a child attempts to pick up an open bag of flour?”

“You do realize I only bought one bag right?”

She patted his cheek, leaving a powdery hand print, “I already took care of it. Your job tonight is to clean.”

He sent her a glare, “You let him do it on purpose.”

The only response he got was a laugh before she turned her attention to her guests, “Hi, Taec. Oh Minjun I didn’t realize you were the friend.” She raised a conspiratorial brow at Taecyeon before paying attention to the composer. “If you had told me you had two boys, we could have set up a few playdates. Chansung loves making new friends.”

Minjun looked like he being scolded by his mother, “Sorry Noona. I didn’t want to impose.”

“Well you should.” She then crouched in front of the boys who were still hiding behind Taec. “Hi boys, I Victoria but you can call me Vic-noona.”

Wooyoung was the first to speak, coming out from behind Taecyeon’s leg but still gripping the fabric of his shorts, “H-hello. I’m Wooyoung and this is my dongsaeng Junho.”

At the mention of his name, Junho peaked his head out as well, “You’re very pretty Noona.”

“Aww, thank you. We’re making pizzas tonight. Do you want to help?” They nodded enthusiastically and took her outstretched hands. “Come on Channie.” The three boys to follow her to the kitchen, already talking to each other as if they had been friends for years.

Once they were out of sight Taecyeon started the questions, “So how do you know each other?”

Minjun answered the fastest, “Khun and I work at the company together. What about you two?”

“Taec is…” Nichkhun started only to be interrupted by Taecyeon.

“We were neighbors in America for almost six years. We met here again about three years ago.” Khun sent him a glare but the younger ignored him. Minjun worked at his uncle’s company meaning technically Minjun worked for him. He knew he would get an earful later but for now Taecyeon wanted that knowledge to stay quiet. In his mind it could ruin his chances of being more than friends with his crush.

Khun shook his head, “So where are you two heading?”

“A music festival by the University.” Minjun bubbled with excitement, before switching to appa-mode, “We should be back before 2 am. I packed them both pajamas in their backpacks.”

Nichkhun nodded and accepted the backpacks, “We’ll take care of them. Go and have fun, just send me a text when you are on your way back.”

“Okay! See ya later Khun.” Taecyeon called as dragged Minjun out the door.

*      *      *

The summer air was warm but not overbearing, making it a nice evening for the music festival. Stages were set up everywhere and performers of all sorts were giving their all. Dance groups, cover groups, even indie groups like Standing Egg performed for free. Surprisingly there were quite a few idols and celebrities wandering around the festival. Every time Minjun saw someone he knew he offered to introduce them but Taecyeon declined. If it somehow got back to Kwon, the secret he was keeping would be blown.

The pair wandered around the park watching the different performances. They stopped at a dance group’s cover of a popular boy group and applauded when they finished a particularly difficult acrobatic finish. An announcer then took the stage, “Everyone please give Klerm another round of applause for a great performance. They came all the way from Thailand to be here tonight.” The audience complied and when the noise died down he spoke again, “Now I want to call up any man who thinks he has what it takes to dance a girl group’s song. Come on, don’t be shy.”

There was a lot of laughter as some men walked up to the stage willingly and others were pushed or pulled by their friends. To show off and partially embarrass himself, Taecyeon joined the others on the stage.

 “Alright then. Let’s get the show going.” Once the announcer was off the stage, the DJ pressed something on his dashboard. The familiar opening notes “Gee” came through the speakers and all the men on the stage began to dance. Most were terrible. They missed steps, added ones, even danced whole verses at the wrong time. But that did not matter as they seemed to enjoy making their friends and loved ones in the audience laugh. Although he could not dance as amazingly or as entertaining as his cousin, Taecyeon performed the dance almost to a T. He could hear Minjun’s melodic laugh above the rest and his grin got brighter. When the song finished the announcer came back and the men all scurried of the stage. “That was something right? Give them a round of applause.”

Taecyeon made his way through the crowd back to Minjun who was still laughing.

“What?” he asked, fascinated by the sparkle in the composer’s eyes.

 “How can you make that huge body of yours move so cutely?”

Taecyeon gave him his toothiest smile and found himself being led by the hand to a snack vendor. He felt his ears go red, his heart beat a little faster, and his arm tingle. They were holding hands. This is not a date. We’re just friends hanging out. This is not a date.

It was only when Minjun let go to take the large bowl of patbingsu from the vendor did Taecyeon come back to reality. They found an empty bench and Minjun produced two spoons so they could share the icy treat.

Not wanting to sit in silence, Taecyeon voiced the first thought that popped into his head. “So you work for JYP Entertainment.”

“Mmhm,” was the spoon in mouth reply.

“Compose for anyone specific or do you make songs at random?”

“A bit of both. But a certain idol by the name JoKwon insists on having me at least co-produce any song or album he puts out. Don’t know what that kid sees in me.”

Someone amazing. All of a sudden, Minjun’s eyes widened and he smacked his forehead, “Crap.”

“Something wrong?”

“No I just forgot they want me, Khun-hyung, and a few others to go to Japan in two weeks.”

“What for?” Khun never mentioned having to go to Japan.

“Some big music event the company is host. But I can’t go. The boys don’t have passports yet and, the one time I need them, my grandparents went on vacation.”

Minjun’s voice was almost wistful and Taecyeon found himself speaking before thinking, “They could stay with me.”

“What?”

“My apartment is big enough. I know how to cook and I can stay home from work. Plus I have Vicky-noona on speed-dial if I need any help.”

“Taec I don’t want to…”

“Impose. I know,” Taecyeon interrupted. “Let me do this for you. The boys will be safe and have fun with me while you work and enjoy some time to yourself in Japan.” He then employed his secret weapon, super big pouting puppy eyes. According to his sister he could make dirt turn to gold with that face.

“I guess so. You sure you won’t mind?”

“I’m sure. Now eat before it melts.” He shoved a spoon full of ice shavings into Minjun’s mouth.

*     *     *

It was close to one in the morning by the time they made it back to Khun’s apartment. Once inside Minjun followed Victoria to the bedroom while Khun pulled Taecyeon aside.

“Did you tell him?” Taecyeon shook his head. “Why not?”

“Because what if he decides we can’t be friend because I’m technically his boss? Then there would never be a chance for us to be together,” the younger whined.

“He still doesn’t know about your feelings for him? Jeez Taec. Get it together and tell the guy.”

“What if he’s straight and totally hates me?” he whined again almost pitifully.

Khun sighed and patted the younger man’s shoulder, “Love is all about faith and taking chances.”

“I want to be a coward for a little while longer. Minjun’s boys are staying with me while you guys are in Japan.”

That surprised Khun, “You are letting the kids stay in your house for three nights? Chansung was there for four hours and you said never again.”

“They’re different.”

“Yah! Did you just insult my son?” Khun puffed up indignantly.

“Huh? No, I mean the situation is different.” Taecyeon tried to reassure the paternal Thai beast, “If I show Minjun the boys really like me maybe he’ll give me a chance.”

Khun deflated and shook his head, “He doesn’t even know how you feel. But since you are not listening to me, all I can do is watch and hope you don’t fall.”

“Thank you, hyung.”



A/N: I know things moved a little fast in this chapter but some stuff needed to get out of the way.

Chansung is here! And yes using Victoria is slightly cliche but she physically looks like she could be Chansung's mother when paired with Nichkhun. That is the whole reason I chose her. Think of it like a director choosing an actor.

Hope you are still enjoying. Let me know what you think.

Remember updates will be sparse for now.