Chapter 6

What He Sees

They walked for who knows how long. Many thoughts were running through Ki Woong's mind. A grown man following a 10 year old boy in hopes of receiving help. Doesn't that sound stupid? 

"Whatever. I'll take what I can." Ki Woong thought out loud. 

"What was that?" The boy asked. Ki Woong shook his head. "By the way, do you have money for a bus ride?" 

Ki Woong took a bus card out. "That's settled then. We'll be taking the bus to my place."

 

Ki Woong couldn't help but feel awkward sitting next to someone he barely knew. He broke the silence with a question which had been bothering him throughout their walk together earlier on. 

"What's your name, kid?" Ki Woong glanced at him.

"Not for you to know." The boy snapped and turned to look out the window. 

Ki Woong narrowed his eyes and whispered.  "That was rude." 

 

 

"We're here." The boy stood in front of a traditional Korean house. 

The house was like the standard traditional Korean houses you would see all around but it gave off a certain vibe which differentiated it from the others. At the entrance, a traditional bell was hung. The door was made of wood. When they entered, Ki Woong saw how the house wasn't very welcoming. The exterior was plain and the grass wasn't as green as he had expected them to be. The boy invited Ki Woong to take off his shoes while the boy entered the house, seemingly looking for someone. 

As Ki Woong took his shoes off, he was shocked to be pushed from behind. He almost fell forward if not for the wall he was standing close to. Ki Woong turned quickly and saw a familiar looking man wearing a traditional getup which could be associated with shamans. 

"Mr. Lee? Andy Lee? What are you doing here? And what are you wearing?" Ki Woong asked, eyeing him from top to toe. 

"I see you've met him." The boy commented from inside the house. "I was about to bring him to you." 

"Come into my room." 

"But-" Ki Woong started. 

"Save your questions for later. For now, just follow me." 

 

 

"So I heard about your problem." 

"Aren't you a counsellor? Woah woah and I don't see those white stuff above you either." Ki Woong was starting to feel comfortable with these people. It was like he was reverting to his old self. The breath he was holding in all this while was finally released.

"Ah, that's where you're wrong. Andy Lee is my younger twin brother. Apparently, the world is this small." The twin sighed. "Anyway, I'm Ryan Lee" 

"So you're seeing souls and you want to be rid of them," Ryan was reaching out for a traditional korean mask and a whip. 

Ki Woong swallowed a lump and nodded slowly. Ryan put the mask on and started chanting something which sounded foreign to Ki Woong. Ki Woong kept his eyes trained on the man he just met. This man was going through a ritual of some sort. Ki Woong had never believed in things like this but this time, he was going to give it chance. Ki Woong jumped when the man suddenly started whipping the floor while pacing the room. 

Then, something else caused Ki Woong to jump again. There was loud banging on the door to the room they were in. Ryan stopped in his tracks. "There is a spirit around." Ryan started whipping the floor again. The banging got louder. 

"Well this spirit is going to rip your throat out! Open this door right now!" Ryan stopped and widened his eyes in what looked like fear. 

Ryan swallowed hard. Ki Woong looked as confused as ever. Ryan quickly slid the door open. 

 

An aged woman wearing traditional clothing like Ryan appeared, looking displeased. 

She grabbed Ryan's ear and twisted it hard. "What did I tell you about conning people?" 

"Ahhhhh pain, grandma stop," Ryan whined. 

"Where's Hee Chul? He helped you didn't he?" She finally released her grip on Ryan. 

"Hey, so is the ritual- " The young boy stopped while staring at the aged woman. 

The aged woman twisted his right ear as well. "There you are Hee Chul. Earning extra money again aren't you?" 

"Grandma! I was going to bring him to you but hyung approached me first," Hee Chul's voice trailed off. 

"You know I sincerely help people but you guys-" 

Ki Woong interrupted her by clearing his voice. "Um excuse me. So let me get this clear. This was all a con? So you can't help me? I was almost cheated of my money?" 

"Oh dear. I'm sorry young man. Where are my manners. I'm Kim Young Ae, their grandma, the real shaman."