Chapter 3

What He Sees

~Third Chapter~

Ki Woong couldn't get the images off his head. It was simply too weird. He had never experienced such a thing before. He put his hands together and rested his elbows on his knees. He was feeling so vexed. His team mates were worried about him. They took glances among themselves and kept pushing the responsibility of consoling him. It was not that they were unwilling but they were not used to consoling the 'Happy person' of the group. Ki Woong was the one cheering people up and he was the most positive person among them. It was a rare sight to see him all stressed up by himself. 

Then, something new arised. Ki Woong kept his eyes shut. His brows were furrowed, face looking disturbed. He was panicking. Angry at himself for hearing things. He felt like breaking the arm of the chair he was holding on so tightly to. He was hearing loud bangings and desperate cries for help. You may be thinking that the sound was nearby or was from his imagination but it wasn't. Ki Woong was definitely freaking out. He couldn't take it anymore. He got up from his chair and flung his hand up to his right ear before rushing off to the toilet. He slammed the toilet door open and locked it up once he got in. Swallowing the saliva in his mouth, he dragged himself to the sink. His hands were reached for the mouth of the white sink. He held onto it and looked into the mirror. He could feel his teeth gritting in annoyance to the sound he heard. He looked at his own pathetic reflection. His eyes, stabbing like daggers, his lips, stretched into a line. Ki Woong's grip on the sink tightened. His body was shivering in fear and he fell to the ground, pulling his knees towards him. His shivering arms reached up to hold his wet face. Tears were running down, his lips quivering. "Why, why must this happen to me?" He flung his hands outwards. At that moment, all he could hear was the sound of water dripping one by one onto the sink's surface. His eyes shot open and he held onto his ears. A breath of relief escaped his lips and he pushed himself up from the floor. He wiped his face with the orange sleeves of his shirt. He saw his reflection and noticed his swollen eyes. He merely washed them with the water which ran from the tap. The sound may just momentarily disappear. Ki woong sighed and unlocked the door. He pulled hard on the door and got out in big strides. 

Still in big strides, Ki Woong arrived at the office. Everyone were already busy getting to the exit. Ki Woong ran after them and got into the ambulance he saw his team mates go into. He still had a straight face on but he softened up when he realised the solemn atmosphere. He purposely cleared his throat and asked, "Umm whats the emergency we're going to about?" Silence. Naryoung looked away from Ki Woong while Woo Shik looked up to face Ki Woong. "It was the previous team who went. Their ambulance burst into flames We don't know if there are survivors." Ki Woong was taken aback, shaken. However, he subconsciously knew that they couldn't be emotionally involved with their casualties. They had to toughen up. "G- Guys. We're a-all sad but we have to be strong and focus on saving them. I- It's already happened and all we can do now is to do our best to preserve their lives." 

Their leader, Yoon Kwang who was in the front seat sniffed back tears, turned to the back and said, " Hey, everyone Ki Woong's right. Lets have one thing in mind now, to forget they're our friends and focus on getting them to the hospital when we get there. Its the least we can do," He smiled weakly. They all nodded. Woo Shik held onto Naryoung's shoulder as she looked as though she was going to burst into tears any moment sooner. When they reached the road junction, everyone in the ambulance were ready and had serious faces on. They just looked ahead. Naryoung flung the door open and they went rushing out. Few other ambulances had arrived to get all the seriously injured medics to the hospital at top speed. The firefighters had evacuated all the medics from the burned up ambulance.The once white ambulance was now black with soot and was out of shape. It was dented on many sides and the door had burst open. Windows cracked. Ki Woong and Naryoung were together this time. They went to the far end where a male paramedic was. The male medic's face was near to being unrecognisable. His breathing was shallow. Woo Shik was on the way with the stretcher as soon as he saw Naryoung's hand signal. Ki Woong and Woo Shik swiftly got the male medic on the stretcher and pushed him to their ambulance. Ki Woong caught a glimpse of a female medic looking over a body. What is she doing? Shouldn't she help that lady down there. Ki Woong shook his head. Woo Shik pushed the male medic into the ambulance and then all three of them stepped inside. 

The ambulance's emergency light was blazing and cars moved away to allow them to pass. They were attending to the male medic's wound as the ambulance went at full speed. They arrived at the A&E part of the hospital and opened the door to the ambulance to push him out. Doctors and nurses were on standby outside. The paramedics pushed the male medic out as fast as they could and allowed the doctors and nurses to attend to him. Naryoung, Ki Woong, Woo Shik and Yoon Kwang didn't feel like leaving just yet. Their feet were rooted to the ground. Ki Woong looked at his blood soaked, gloved hands which had just touched the male medic. "That was JunYoung wasn't it?" Ki Woong asked, soulessly. The other three turned to him and nodded slowly. As much as Yoon Kwang also wanted to stay, they still had their duties towards the other civilians. "Come on guys. We have to go back." He announced with the cheeriest voice he could use at that time. He gave them a gentle push from behind to get them moving. 

The team stepped into the fire station's office and saw the other team sitting in their chairs, staring into space. Yoon Kwang's team took their places in the office. 

"It has been reported that Eunyoung passed away right away as soon as she was evacuated." Their chief announced.

Realisation hit Ki Woong. That paramedic he saw at the scene was Eunyoung wasn't it? She was part of that team? If she had already passed away then who was that lady he saw standing over the body? So many questions popped into his head. He simply couldn't believe what he had seen. Did he see her soul? But that couldn't have been right. Ki Woong chuckled nervously. He couldn't have suddenly been able to see...ghosts. He leaned back in his chair, eyes widened. "I think its time to have a talk with the counsellor. All of these happened after that incident with that granny."