Chapter 2

What He Sees

~Second Chapter~

Ki Woong stared at her, stunned. He wondered how the old woman knew his name. His jacket did not bear his name, however this woman whom he just met at the scene recited his name fluently and what scared him most was that she said, "Let him be next". What was he supposed to be or do next? 

"Hey! Why are you just staring? Help her! Does she need the stretcher?"

Ki Woong snapped back to reality. He looked at the grey-haired woman again and began to check her vital signs. She was now unconscious. He thought, Oh my god I made her condition worse. I could have done something earlier on. He sighed heavily. 

"Woo Shik! Get a stretcher here. She needs the hospital."

Meanwhile, Ki Woong laid the old woman flat on the ground. That would make it easier for them to transfer her to the stretcher. Ki Woong looked out for the arrival of the stretcher he badly needed for his casualty. When it finally reached the two of them, Ki Woong got up once again to get the people to move away and give space for them to carry her away. The people cooperated well and even told others to move further back. Ki Woong was thankful and gave a slight nod. He then gave his attention back to the old woman and assisted his team mates. They put a sheet next to the old woman and slid it under her by lifting her up sideways and pulling the sheet in, towards her. They gently put her down onto the sheet. "1,2,3 up". The two of them lifted her up together at the same time and put her on the stretcher.

Ki Woong pushed her forward, feet first. Woo Shik on the other hand, assisted from the side while shouting to people to make way for them. Ki Woong was praying hard that she would survive this ordeal. He felt so guilty for the time lost. He quickened his steps abruptly, making Woo Shik glare at him. Apparently, Woo Shik had tripped. Ki Woong ignored him and carried on with the same speed. Woo Shik rolled his eyes and looked ahead. They saw the elongated red and white vehicle ahead of them. Its back door was already open and ready to receive its new patient. Ki Woong pushed the stretcher into the ambulance and got in as well, followed by Woo Shik who got in from the front of the ambulance, beside their driver. There was already an injured person sitting in the ambulance by the side. The man had bad burns on both his arms. Their female team mate, Naryoung was attending to him, bandaging his arms. Ki Woong attended to his casualty. He grabbed an oxygen mask which hung by the side. He was about to put it over the old woman's mouth when her eyes suddenly snapped open. She grabbed Ki Woong's hand. Ki Woong got the shock of his life. He almost screamed but his voice got stuck in his throat. He quivered but his gaze never left the old woman's eyes. Time seemed to pause. He noticed faint white smoke leaving her eyes. It was then that the old woman's hand fell limp by her side. Her eyes were still wide open. Ki Woong was left hanging. He still had his hand in the air.

"Whats wrong? Oh gosh. Get the defibrillator ready now." There was a short pause. "Ki Woong!"

Ki Woong still sat there, shocked. It was as if his whole body was paralysed. Naryoung was already taking over and performing the procedures. The old woman's chest bounced up and back down with every shock given. Ki Woong could only look at what was happening as his brain tried to process everything that had just occured. He couldn't believe that he just saw smoke coming out of her eyes. Was he hallucinating? 

"She's gone." Naryoung announced.

They arrived at the hospital not long after the old woman's heart stopped beating. They pulled her out of the ambulance on the stretcher and handed her over to the hospital staff. The man who had burns on both his arms was also handed over to the hospital staff for further treatment.

Ki Woong stood at the entrance of the hospital. If only she had waited a little longer, she could have lived... 

Ki Woong went back into the ambulance. He had his head held low. Naryoung was looking at him, " Why didn't you do anything?" 

"I- I was just too shocked. I'm sorry." Ki Woong replied.

Naryoung looked down and kept silent. "Fine. I'll let it go this time but really please try to be level headed next time. Its our job to preserve life." 

The ambulance travelled back to the fire station. The whole journey was silent. 

They got off the ambulance and stepped into the office once again. Ki Woong slumped against his chair and covered his face with both his hands. This was the first time he had ever failed to focus on his duty. He hated thinking that it was his fault that the old woman passed away. If only he had been a tad faster. Just then, the siren sounded once again. However, only five medics were required to go. As they rushed out, Ki Woong noticed something off about them. He saw fuzzy, unstable white figures above each five of the people who just left. He shrugged it off as he thought to himself, "I must be tired from the previous case." He shook his head and leaned back on his chair. He stared at the ceiling.