SWEET SIMPLICITY

The Oath
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER FOUR
SWEET SIMPLICITY

Though he wasn’t able to run away from his troubles per se, Luhan still ran. He enjoyed feeling the crisp air blowing through his hair and hitting his face as he made his way up the dusty trail. His heart raced and pulsated to the beat of the music that played in his ears. It was like he had become a part of world that was of his own creation. There was no Sehun. There was no work. There was only him and his symphony of thoughts. That’s how Luhan wanted it to be: simple and free. Soon, he would become like the very wind that brushed against his skin and crept beneath the fabric of his shirt. He, too, would move about freely without a care in the world.

But, that was all a dream, a mere illusion that bred his false hopes and false pride. Freedom would forever be non-existent so long as he held himself back. Though the idea itself sounded foolish, Luhan believed it to be so. A lot of what had happened to him was of his own doing. He never demanded better, so he never received it. For that, he felt so low, so sorry; and that was a lot to take in during one simple morning run.

When got back to the cabin, he was glad to see that he had the whole place to himself free of bickering and incessant ing. He pulled one ear bud out of his ear and sang along to the Queen tune that played as he walked through the house. He made his way to the kitchen and grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge while dancing. When he closed the door, Luhan’s heart stopped from the sight of Jongin standing in front of him. He placed his hand on his chest and took the other earbud out of his ear.

“God, you scared me!” Luhan whispered loudly, trying to control his racing his heart.

Jongin smiled and let out a slight chuckle saying, “Sorry bro. I didn’t mean to scare you. I was just wondering if you wanted to take a walk with me.”

Luhan looked around the house then back at him and said, “You want to take a walk with me?”

A large grin formed on Jongin’s face as he laughed at Luhan’s surprised expression.

“It’s just a walk, Luhan.” He told the other through laughter. “I’m not going to murder you in the woods, so you can calm down and leave your mace at the cabin.”

Luhan nodded his head and rubbed the back of his neck as a nervous laugh left his lips.

“I guess that won’t be so bad.” He replied. “Just let me take a shower, and I’ll be right down.”

“Cool. I’ll be waiting.”

Luhan was starting to enjoy the bond that was forming between him and Jongin. Though they hadn’t been at the cabin for very long, Luhan was really enjoying the other’s presence. Jongin was indeed a very good friend to him, and for that, Luhan was very grateful.

“Hey Luhan, how’s the weather out there?” Jongin called out to him from the bottom of the stairs.

Luhan pulled a fresh shirt over his head and eased his fingers through his hair. He grabbed his university hoodie and left their room.

“Typical Seattle weather, I suppose.” He replied with a chuckle, walking down the stairs. “You’re definitely going to need to bundle up.”

Jongin had already beaten him to it. He was cozy and warm in his pea coat and suede gloves. He grabbed his scarf and wrapped it around Luhan’s neck, making sure that it covered the other’s ears.

“It looks like it’s you that needs to bundle up.” He commented with a smile. “Ready?”

Luhan responded to his question with a quick nod and a relaxed expression. He didn’t want to take his chances of getting sick with damp hair and no coat to keep him warm. He covered his head with a beanie and tucked his bare hands into his pocket. Surely, they would have icicles forming on them by the time the two got home. His adrenaline was still pumping from his morning run. Hopefully that rush would suffice during their brisk walk.

As they walked down the cobblestone walkway to the trail, Jongin pulled out his cell phone from his pocket. He snapped a few pictures of the skyline and the mixture of warm colors that tinted the backdrop. Luhan watched the other as he marveled at everything that he saw around them. Though Jongin had probably been out there several times before, he never grew tired of the scenery. With every passing day, there was always something new to be seen and explored.

“Do you always do this?” Luhan asked tilting his head to the side as he watched Jongin.

Jongin stopped in the middle of the trail, putting his cellphone down briefly.

“Do what? Oh…this?” he said holding his phone up.

Luhan nodded slowly and asked, “Don’t you ever just walk and enjoy the moment?”

Jongin laughed and said, “You’re starting to sound like D.O. you know.”

“I’m starting to think that he has a point.” Luhan replied. “No more pictures, okay? Let’s just walk.”

“Ah…okay.”

Luhan cracked a smile and took the other’s hand. He pulled him along as Jongin fought not to pull his phone out to take another picture. He gave Luhan some resistance as he planted his feet firmly on the ground. This gave the other a slight jerk, and he turned to look back at him. Jongin stood there taking a breath as if he had run a marathon. Their brisk promenade had turn into an Olympic speed walk.

“Geez, do you have to walk so fast?” he complained to Luhan who was still laughing.

“You need to get into shape, fat boy.” Luhan poked fun at the breathless Jongin. “We’re almost there.”

Jongin exhaled with his hands on his knees as he looked over at the other. His eyes caught sight of Luhan’s cherry, red nose and flushed cheeks. He could only shake his head at his elder’s lecture. While he was warm and toa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter