Coincidence

Ghosts of last night

A/N Text written in this format -> "...text..." is background noise!


A hearty laughter broke the silence that was spread in the darkened room, as it was barely 5am. Taehyung was convinced that his eardrums had been severely damaged, because how can someone laugh so loudly when the rest of the world is sleeping? Unwillingly, his eyelids fluttered open, slow and still so heavy, and he found him staring at the screen of his phone, mouth still stretched into a huge grin full of teeth.

“Shut up,” Taehyung groaned and if he wasn’t still so numb, he would’ve thrown a pillow or two in his direction. “It’s 5am, why aren’t you sleeping?”

“Ah, sorry, I didn’t mean to wake you up,” he said repentantly, contrition obvious in his eyes, and Taehyung cursed his inability to stay mad for more than thirty seconds. “But he was sending me pictures of-“

“Wasn’t the reason you chose to move to a separate room your desire to have more private, let me quote, ‘university experiences’? Let them stay private,” Taehyung interrupted him and got up with the intention to take care of the dryness in his throat. Sometimes his friend was really oblivious to his surroundings, read Taehyung, and didn’t seem to realize that his love life really concerned only him. Taehyung usually pretended to listen, but he didn’t appreciate being awoken this early for a reason that silly.

“I said I’m sorry you cranky bundle of sass,” Jimin retorted and slid his phone in his pocket. “I lost the key to my room, again, so I figured I can come visit, but I kind of lost track of time.”

Taehyung snorted to himself, but decided not to argue or question his friend’s choices of life, i.e. choosing to break his phone in texting a person he’s been with the whole day instead of sleeping, and emptied the remainders of his water bottle. He noticed a pack of chocopies resting on the table and decided those were a great choice of pre-breakfast snack, as he knew neither him nor Jimin would be going back to sleep before their classes started.

“What’s up with you? You’ve been really out of it for the past couple of weeks,” Jimin noted attentively after devouring the chocolate sweetness, seeing that Taehyung still hadn’t touched his.

Taehyung gave it a thought. The more time passed, the more he was convinced that it was all just a very vivid dream was left lingering in his subconscious, tricking him into believing it was something that happened in reality. It couldn’t have been, right?

“Can students who don’t attend our university visit the dorms?” He questioned absentmindedly, still playing with the snack.

“I mean, it’s generally not allowed after the quiet hours begin, but it’s not that strictly observed. Why, saw someone suspicious?” Jimin asked, a bit taken aback by the unusual seriousness of his friend’s voice.

Taehyung nodded, though more to himself. He never reported that there was a stranger in his room, because that would’ve cause a lot of side little problems, nor mentioned anything about it to his best friend because it all sounded too bizarre anyways, or in his head at least. But he couldn’t deny having a conversation with a tall boy with messy brown hair, pointy nose, half-lidded eyes and a brilliant, sun-like smile anymore, because unlike dreams, evidences don’t lie.

It happened few days after Taehyung’s unusual morning experience while he was trying to create some kind of an order in his room, be it with shoving clothes in the drawers or trying to find the other half of the lonely socks lying on the floor. At first it looked like a really old piece of paper and so he ignored it, but later on he saw that it was a postcard, one that surely wasn’t his. The date scribbled on it pointed three years ago. Taehyung tried reading the narrow handwriting on the back of it to see if it’ll ring a bell, but after rereading the few lines that looked like some address he gave up, as it was really crinkled and the ink was smudged.

He instinctively knew who the owner of the lost object was. But what was he supposed to do about it? He knew nothing about that person, except vague memories of his appearance and the fact that he wouldn’t exactly hesitate to kiss a drunk person of the same .

And that he wasn’t a student; not here, not anywhere.

But he wanted to return the postcard, because one wouldn’t bring such old item with himself everywhere if it wasn’t important, but how? Who was that boy?

“…ung. Taehyung!”

He snapped out of his thoughts and looked at Jimin, who was also staring back with a confused expression written on his face.

“Really, what’s wrong? You either fell asleep with your eyes open for a few seconds, or really have something that’s bothering you. What’s up?” Jimin insisted, because he’d been worried about Taehyung for a while, as he noticed that his best friend has been either getting lost in his thoughts or just wearing a blank expressions a lot more often than before.

“How did you know that you were attracted to him?” Taehyung inquired and finally took a bite from his pie.

“To who, Yoongi?” Jimin wondered, kind of surprised at the sudden change of direction their conversation took. After receiving a nod, he fondly thought back to exactly three weeks ago when he finally had the chance to spill his bottled up feelings to his senior, though with the help of few mixed drinks. He had had interest in the said senior ever since their first Calculus class together, roughly a year ago, but there were too many hurdles that held him back from expressing that directly to him back then and he kept it like this, just admiring from afar.

Though, he knew he was attracted from the beginning, the feeling had been inside of him probably after the second ever conversation they had. Just as any other one-sided crush, Jimin was convinced that just being his friend was enough and that he could easily hide his feelings until the gradually disappeared, but that, of course, didn’t happen. It rarely ever happens. The pain in his chest started intensifying every time he saw and talked to Yoongi and he often found himself breathless after just after having a normal conversation with him, so he decided that he should try and see how much he would damage their friendship with his so called confession.

But exactly three weeks ago his feelings were reciprocated. It had been awkward and stiff in the beginning, but they could work it out, Jimin knew that.

“Isn’t it the same kind of attraction you’ve heard in just about any other love song? Quickened heartbeat, nervous laughter, the person basically living in your thoughts. I always looked forward to talking to him again, just being around him and I got greedy as time passed. I wanted more, I wanted something more special than any other of his friends had. I wanted him, along with his dishonest personality, rarely smiling eyes, adorable lazy grin – all of it. I could say I was throughoutly attracted to his entire existence. You kind of just know it,” Jimin finished with the same fond tone and Taehyung was really making gagging noises in the back of his head, as his friend always became exceptionally sappy when talking about Yoongi.

Attraction. Subtle fascination.

Could that be the only reason Taehyung thought about the boy so much, didn’t push him away, allowed their personal spaces to clash and didn’t stop thinking about possible way of returning the lost object?

Probably not; Taehyung wasn’t really attracted to boys that way.

“Why, found someone you’re interested in?” Jimin slightly teased, returning to his normal self.

“No, I was just wondering. You look a lot happier recently, more than I ever remember you have been.” 

“Yeah,” Jimin nodded, agreeing, “he really does make me happier than anything else.”

--

“The usual?”

“Yup, don’t forget the Thursday special offer - free pudding!” Jimin reminded and soon hung up, leaving Taehyung to deal with their dinner. The boy sat on one of the unoccupied tables, waiting for his name to be called, and sighed. He was determined to never play rock, paper and scissors with Park Jimin again, because he has yet to win a round and have his best friend pay for their dinner. He hadn’t won a single time.

Looking out of the window, Taehyung realized that going out wearing just a t-shirt wasn’t really the greatest idea, as the sky had lost the brightness of its blue color, clouds threatening to release soft May showers. He didn’t dislike rain, but he doubted that he could make it to his room without getting soaked, so he hoped that it won’t start just yet.

“…have you seen…“

The diner wasn’t packed, but there were enough customers, mainly students, to occupy almost all of the tables, voices and conversations had replaced the soft background music playing from the speakers. It was noisy, but diner-appropriate noisy and Taehyung didn’t mind waiting for his order to be done, as the chattering sounds successfully distracted him from thinking.

He’d been thinking a lot recently, a lot more than he wished, about a topic that never led to any proper answers to the countless of questions, about a topic that only managed to turn into a more and more complicated mess with every new thought added to it. He’d gotten drunk and kissed a boy, probably more times than he wanted to admit to himself. That simple sentence that had escaped the tall stranger’s mouth ever so easily three weeks ago still hadn’t faded away from Taehyung’s subconscious. He was sure he wasn’t attracted to boys, or at least never felt it that way before, but it was true that he never pushed away the nameless, allowing him to leave a part of him inked on his neck.

“…around the center of the city...”

He couldn’t think of it as attraction. He was curious – who was the guy after all, what made him want to help Taehyung out in the first place, what made him lower his guard so much to leave a possible important possession in an apartment he most probably won’t ever visit again. When Taehyung’s mind wasn’t busy with studying or listening to music or even chatting with Jimin, he often mulled over those and similar thoughts.

“…used to own a small company…”

Taehyung wished he could meet him just one more time so he could return the postcard and stop thinking about it. It was tiring for him, really, being so confused all the time.

“…sorry for troubling…”

The diner was noisy, but for some reason bits and pieces of a certain conversation had been registering in Taehyung’s mind for a while, though he wasn’t paying attention to any of the held conversations around him. It was as if his mind was recognizing a familiar voice, alerting Taehyung to look for it. It could be a friend, he thought.

He tore his gaze from the see-through window, sparing the cloud-heavy sky one last glance, and looked around the familiar diner. Students hunched over their laptops with tons of scattered pieces of paper lying on their table, a mom with her two sons, who were most definitely arguing about which Children Meal to order, a middle aged man engrossed in his smartphone, having forgotten about the pile of fries on his table, a guy whose facial features Taehyung couldn’t properly see because he was talking with the waitress, a bunch of middle school students also waiting for their order to be completed, chatting away. Taehyung saw no face familiar in particular from where the voice could have come from, so he shook his head slightly and faced the street from behind the window again.

“Mr. Kim Taehyung, your order has been completed, please come to counter 3,” a female voice spoke and Taehyung sighed in relief, as it hadn’t started raining yet.

“…thank you…”

The boy halted after hearing the voice again, convinced that it was someone he knew, probably a classmate he’d talked to a few times, in the diner. He looked around for a while, but failed to see a familiar face.

“Mr. Kim Taehyung?” the lady looked at him questioningly, holding a bag full of everything but healthy food.

“Ah, thank you for your hard work.” Taehyung said quickly and bowed before heading to the exit. What is wrong with me, he wondered.

He looked around for the last time, the middle-aged man was still as engrossed in his phone as before, new group of middle school students had replaced the previous, but no one who he could recognize.

 

 

Just as any other typical spring rain, it started pouring without any proper warning, few slow and scattered drops in the beginning, but next scene would be Taehyung running with his eyes almost completely covered in the direction of his dorm. Inevitably, he bumped into few people, apologized and then continued, hoping that the food won’t get too messed up. It was only when he felt sharp pain all around his region, indicating that he had fallen, when he properly removed his hands from his eyes. A tall figure was standing in front of him, wearing all black everything, along with a snapback that safely covered the eyes of the person.

“It’s not my day today, is it…” Taehyung murmured and wondered how had he managed to bump into someone hard enough to make him fall down. The figure reached out a hand to help Taehyung get up, saying nothing, and the boy took it as he was using his other arm to protect the pack of junk food.

“I’m very sorry for bumping into you, the rain caught me unprepared,” Taehyung said apologetically and was about to leave again after receiving a ‘no problem’ as an answer, but it hit him – just few seconds after – it was the same voice. The voice he heard back in the diner.

“Can you repeat that…?” Taehyung asked and tried to focus on the other’s face properly, which was mostly hidden by the snapback he was wearing.

“No problem?” The voice repeated, sounding slightly confused and he finally lifted his head enough to show his eyes and nose. A straight nose with a subtle upturned tip, eyes in the color of expresso, tired, but still welcoming. Taehyung gasped, having fully forgotten about trying to hide himself from the pouring rain.

“Oh, it’s you!” the room intruder exclaimed, his lips forming a smile.

Oh, it’s you? Taehyung furrowed his eyebrows, still incapable of forming any coherent sentences because while he had so much he wanted to say and so many question he wanted to ask, being given the opportunity to do so without a warning wasn’t really helping.

“Don’t you remember me? I kind of slept in your room once. You made me some delicious breakfast, too,” the boy continued and Taehyung couldn’t help but find everything just plain ridiculous, as he was being asked if he remembered someone he hadn’t stopped thinking about for three weeks.

“Name…”

“Name?” the other questioned, rising an eyebrow in confusion. “You sure are a curious one, aren’t you?” And then the same laugh, so insanely brilliant and so ridiculously familiar, rang in Taehyung’s ears and somewhere in the back of his head he thought that the rain didn’t feel as cold anymore. “Glad that you remember me, but shouldn’t we hide somewhere? It doesn’t seem like it will stop raining anytime soon,” he asked as if they were friends that happened to bump on the streets, literally. Taehyung nodded and left himself be lead to some café, one that was actually just across the street. The other was walking in front of him and he seemed even taller than Taehyung remembered. 

Talk about coincidences. 

 

 

co·in·ci·dence

noun
1.
a striking occurrence of two or more events at one time apparently by mere chance: Our meeting inVenice was pure coincidence.
2.
the condition or fact of coinciding

A/N I'm really sorry it took me so long to put anything up, I completely underesitmated how overwhelming finals can be and I haven't had time to sit down and just write anything, so I decided to drop out of the contest and continue it as a few-chaptered fic ;u; Thank you for reading and I'm really sorry for my improper English;;