Chapter 6

Last Juliet

After school, Daehyun drove Jieun to his house. During the car ride, they didn't speak a word and occasionally Daehyun would smile at Jieun through his mirror. And as Jieun entered Daehyun's familiar home, she couldn't shake the feeling that the house was anything but familiar. But how could it be? This was where they grew their friendship together, where they could easily laugh at each other's jokes, and where they weren't engaged.

"So what do you wanna do?" Jieun asked while setting her purse on the couch.

"I was thinking about a movie and a dinner outside," Daehyun replied while turning the television.

"Oh," Jieun said. She nervously looked around.

"You okay, babe?" Daehyun asked while looking at Jieun with concern.

"Yeah, I'm fine."

"You seemed really out of it today."

"Huh? No, I'm fine. Really."

"Come here, we're watching Saving Private Ryan. Is that okay with you? You know how much I hate romance movies."

"Yeah, that's fine," Jieun said. She walked over to Daehyun and sat next to him on the couch. As Daehyun scooted over to make room for Jieun, Jieun tried to hide her nervousness. She didn't feel comfortable being alone with Daehyun and she wished the movie would be over soon. Jieun constantly glanced at the clock but time seemed to go slow for her.

What should she say to him? Or should she just shut up and watch the movie?

Jieun was caught by surprise when Daehyun slowly placed his hand on her thigh. He slowly ran his hand across it, caressing Jieun's thigh and right when Jieun was about to tell him something, Daehyun's mouth was on hers. They kissed slowly, and Jieun tried her best to seem focused in the kiss as Daehyun was.

Daehyun kissed Jieun deeper and pushed her back on the couch so that he was on top of her. As weird as this felt, Jieun moaned and weaved her fingers in his hair. That was when Daehyun took his shirt off, revealing his toned muscles. And when his fingers started to snake around Jieun's bare stomach, that was when Jieun knew they needed to stop. This was her best guy friend who she was kissing, not her boyfriend.

Jieun gently put a hand on Daehyun's chest and parted her lips from his. Daehyun breathed heavily, as if he'd run a marathon as he struggled to catch his breath.

"I can't do this. Maybe we should just watch the movie together," Jieun said while fixing her shirt.

Daehyun nodded reluctantly and put his shirt over his head. Jieun didn't stop him from letting him put his arm around her shoulder but she definitely made sure they weren't making out on the couch. Even though the make-out session was hot, Jieun felt disgusted.

That was her best friend who she was kissing.

Her best friend who was trying to take her shirt off.

She couldn't take it anymore. It felt too weird. She picked her purse from the couch, taking Daehyun by surprise.

"Where are you going?"

"I forgot that my mom was having a big dinner for our neighbor. Sorry Daehyun, I'm already late."

"Can I at least drive you babe?"

"No thanks, I think I'm just gonna walk home," Jieun hastefully said and scurried out the door.

As soon as the cold air hit Jieun, sh leaed against the door of the Jung's house and heaved a breath. Unwanted tears welled up in her eyes and they fell on to her cheeks, smudging her makeup. Jieun furiously wiped them with the back of her hand and scolded herself for being so childish. And then without thinking, she started to run away from the house. She didn't know where she was going but all she wanted to do was get away from Daehyun's house. Anywhere but his house.

People walking on the sideways looked at Jieun with curiosity as they walked by her but Jieun never stopped. She kept on running, running, and running until the freeway came to view. Jieun stopped sprinting and breathed heavily, for she had run at least half a mile. Wiping her eyes some more, she walked and walked until the sky got dark.

And then, behind her blurred vison of tears, she saw a figure walking towards her. A tall figure, who looked so familiar to Jieun. And as Jieun wiped at her eyes to accurately see who it was, she gasped.

It was Myungsoo.

The boy who haunted her dreams.

The boy who saved her from her nightmares.

Myungsoo's face lit up when he saw Jieun but his expression immediately fell when he realized that she was crying. Embarassed and humiliated, Jieun started to run again. She ran fast toward his direction and and ran by him as he called out her name.

Jieun didn't stop and she weeped out loud. All the stress, pressure, and pain were too much.

Her parents would never listen to her.

Jieun would never be happy again.

And she would never see Myungsoo again.

Suddenly, Jieun's feet got stuck in a crack between the road and she fell on her knees. Wincing with pain, Jieun allowed more tears to spill and rubbed her knees. With her tearful eyes, she saw a pair of feet next to her. Looking up, Jieun saw Myungsoo's face. His beautiful face filled with concern.

"Go away," Jieun whispered. Myungsoo didn't reply.

"I said go away," Jieun said a little louder and when Myungsoo still didn't respond, she exploded with anger.

"Go away! Leave me alone!" Jieun yelled and she weeped with everything inside of her. She let everything out; her sadness of never being herself again, her sadness of never making Daehyun happy, and her sadness of everyone's expectations. Jieun cried for so long that she began to lose her voice. She croaked and croaked and never stopped until Myungsoo sat on his knees and pulled her into his arms.

Strangely, Jieun found comfort in his warm arms and she allowed him to her hair and caress her back. She rested her chin on his shoulder and silently cried, releasing more tears than she had ever had.

And when she was done, she pulled back and Myungsoo held her face in his hands.

"You okay now?" He asked. Jieun weakly nodded.

"Having a hard day huh?" He asked again and Jieun too, nodded again.

Myungsoo sighed and looked up at the sky, which was not filled with shining dots.

"You know," He started.

"It's okay to cry. And it's even better to cry out loud. No one's going to judge you for crying and neither am I. If you're having a bad day... then just let it all out. I'm here for you."

Jieun's heart welled up at his words of sympathy and kindness. Myungsoo smiled softly and wiped her tears away with his fingers. They stared into each other's dark eyes and stayed that way.

Finally, Myungsoo searched her face for any signs. And when he realized she didn't have any, he slowly leaned in.

Jieun's heart thumped with excitement and she closed her eyes.

When their lips met, fireworks bursted in Jieun's head and she looped her arms around his neck. Their kiss was truly magical and Myungsoo kissed her in the most tender, loving way. The way boyfriends should kiss their girlfriends.

Here they were, in the middle of the side of a freeway, kissing. They kissed for a long time, relishing the moment and when they pulled back, they were both awed.

Jieun looked at myungsoo's face again and smiled. It was a weak and subtle smile but it brought a huge grin on Myungsoo's face. Myungsoo pulled Jieun into his arms again and this time, Jieun wrapped her arms around his waist.

"I know it's way too early to say this... but..." Myungsoo said.

Jieun's heart thumped. What was he going to say?

"I think... I think I really like you..." Myungsoo whispered in her ears.

Jieun was overwhelmed by conflicting emotions and she struggled to say the right words. But what was there to say? Here she was with a guy who liked her, even seeing her with smudged makeup and tear stained face. What more was there to say?

Jieun moved her lips to his ears and whispered, "I don't like you."

And when Myungsoo stilled, Jieun smiled into his ears and whispered again, "I love you."

Myungsoo's entire body relaxed and he started to laugh.

"Yes. I love you too," He said before capturing her lips in his again.

They kissed and kissed again, entertwining their fingers under the brillliant star-filled skies of Seoul and they never stopped.