Chapter 3

Last Juliet

"Jieun? Suzy's here," Mrs. Lee called out from downstairs.

Jieun jerked up from her desk and looked through her windows. There she was, Suzy, standing in front of her door way, shivering from the cold. Jieun took a deep breath and hurried downstairs. She would have to tell Suzy. She was Jieun's best friend. Who else would she tell? And besides, Jieun could never hide things from Suzy any way.

With a heavy heart, Jieun opened the door to her house, greeted by a warm smile of Suzy's.

"Hey girl! I'd thought you'd never open the door!" Suzy squealed happily.

Jieun smiled and motioned for Suzy to come inside. While her friend took off her jacket and placed it on a couch, Jieun blurted out, "I have something to tell you."

Suzy looked and Jieun and raised her eye brows.

"Ok... Spill."

"I can't. Not here. My mom can't hear this," Jieun replied in a hushed voice.

With that Suzy nodded and started walking upstairs to Jieun's room. She flopped down to Jieun's bed and placed her bags near a desk. Jieun followed her and leaned against her desk, after closing the door to her room. The look on Suzy's face told Jieun to be honest about everything and so she did.

"I met a guy."

Suzy lifted her eye brows again, "So?"

"It's not just a guy. It was a mega cute and sweet guy and he asked me to the dance on Friday. I couldn't say no! And what am I gonna say to Daehyun? I already told him I would go with him!"

With that, Jieun took a deep breath and looked at Suzy wistfully. At first, Suzy didn't say anything but after a few awakward minutes, she finally replied.

"There's nothing I can do for you Jieun. But wow, I mean you really messed up didn't you?" Suzy said while she watched Jieun's face fall apart.

"So you're saying there's nothing I could do about this? Nothing?"

"No I'm not saying that. I'm saying you should take a chance. I don't know how it'll turn out but you're obviously unhappy with Daehyun so why don't you go with that guy?"

"Really?"

Suzy sighed, "Jieun I'm not stupid. I know that you don't love Daehyun and I'm not saying you should but at least don't break the poor guy's heart."

"So... What do you suppose I do?" Jieun asked while staring at the floor.

"Just go. It'll be a masquerade party anyway. Tell Daehyun you can't go and sneak to the party with the guy, whoever he is. Daehyun'll never see you."

"And you're gonna help me do that?"

Suzy smiled, "You're my best friend. What are best friends for?" Then she looked around, "You bought my junk food right? Because that's what best friends are for, too."

With that Jieun laughed, "Yes of course."

"Well then, let's eat and talk about that boy of yours shall we?" Suzy stretched her arms out.

Smiling, Jieun walked out of her room to get the food she bought for Suzy. She felt as if a great weight had been lifted off her chest. If her best friend didn't approve, who would?

After Jieun delivered the junk food to Suzy, and they went back to being normal friends again, without serious talks about boys.

They were in the middle of a discussion about whether pugs were better dogs to kiss than pomeranians when Jieun's phone started to ring.

"You gonna get that?" Suzy asked while Jieun looked for her cell phone.

When Jieun saw the name on her screen, her heart dropped, "It's Daehyun."

"Answer it."

Jieun took a deep breath and clicked 'answer' on her screen. With that, she held her phone close to her ears, breathing heavily.

"Hello?" Jieun asked.

"Hey babe, I missed you."

"I missed you, too."

"Where are you? If you're not outside, I could come pick you up and bring you to Zelo's house. We're having pizza right now."

"No I'm sorry. Suzy's here with me and she's sleeping over."

Daehyun sighed through her phone, "That's a bummer. I feel like I'm not really spending much time with you Jieun."

"Yeah me too."

"Well just be ready for the dance on Friday! Me and the rest of B.A.P already got our outfits."

Jieun bit her lip and looked at Suzy, "Oh about that... Daehyun I don't think I can make it. My mom's friend is coming over on Friday and I have to stay and help her make dinner. I'm really sorry."

"Then who am I supposed to go with?"

"I don't know. But I'll make it up to you. I promise."

"Sure," Daehyun said in a monotonous voice.

"You mad at me?" Jieun asked.

"No I'm not mad Jieun. It's just that you're blowing me off for a lot of things."

"I'm sorry," Jieun repeated.

"It's fine. I'll see you tomorrow. Good night babe."

"Good night," said Jieun before she hung up.

Jieun sighed again and tossed her phone on her bed. Suzy, who was munching on potatoe chips the entire time looked at Jieun with curiosity in her eyes.

"So... How did it go?"

Jieun flopped on her bed and closed her eyes, "Honestly? I don't know."

"He was cool about it?"

"No not really."

"Was he mad about it?"

"I don't know."

"Then perfect," Suzy said before clapping her hands together.

"What?" Jieun got up and looked at her friend suspiciously.

"It's perfect! He doesn't suspect a thing and you should be able to get away with this. But for now, how about we go dress shopping tomorrow? You know, to find a dress that'll just make your romeo drool all over you."

With that Suzy went on rambling about what color dress would look fantastic on Jieun. Half of the time Jieun listened and smiled at what her friend said but the other half of the time, Jieun wondered what consequences her choice would make.