Basic Words and Phrases

Let's Learn Korean Together!

Hello everyone and welcome to the next chapter of Let's Learn Korean Together. I hope you did well on learning the basic of 한글. Today, I want to teach you some basic words and phrases in the beginner level that may be helpful to know.

안녕하세요 [Ahn-nyeong-ha-seh-yo] - (formal) Hello.

안녕 [Ahn-nyeong] - (informal) Hello. Usually used with people of the same age, friends.

안녕히 계세요 [Ahn-nyeong-hi gyeh-seh-yo] - (formal) Goodbye if you are the one leaving. 

안녕히 가세요 [Ahn-yeong-hi ga-seh-yo] - (formal) Goodbye if the other people/person is leaving.

안녕 [Ahn-nyeong] - (informal) Bye. Usually used with people of the same age, friends.


미안 [Mi-ahn] - (informal) Sorry, but in a joking way. Not too serious

미안해 [Mi-ahn-hae] - (informal) Sorry, mostly used when apologizing to friends or people younger.

미안해요 [Mi-ahn-hae-yo] - (formal) Sorry. This should be used when you're talkng to people that are slightly older

* 미안니다 [Mi-ahn-hap-ni-da] - (formal) Sorry, same as the one before but a little more formal.

최송해요 [Chwe-song-hae-yo] - (formal) Sorry, used for when talking to elders.

* 최송니다 [Chwe-song-hap-ni-da] - (formal) Sorry. This sorry isn't really used when you're talking to someone and they tell you bad news and you say sorry. It is more used for "I'm sorry that I made that mistake.", a more serious sorry.


고마워 [Go-ma-wo] - (informal) Thanks, used towards friends, siblngs, or someone younger than you.

고마워요 [Go-ma-wo-yo] - (formal) Thank you, used to those older than you.

* 고맙니다 [Go-map-seup-ni-da] - (formal) Thank you, more polite than the previous one.

감사해요 [Gam-sa-hae-yo] - (formal)  Thank you, used to those older than you.

* 감사니다 [Gam-sa-hap-ni-da]  - (formal) Thank, used when talking to elders or adressing a lot of people. This is the common formal way to say thank you.


맛있어요 [Ma-si-sseo-yo] Pronounced like 마싰어요. - (formal) It's delicious. Literal translation would be it has taste.

맛없어요 [Mad-eop-sseo-yo]  Pronounced like 마덦어요 - (formal) It's awful. Literal translation would be it doesn't have taste.

* 잘 먹겠니다 [Jal meog-gehs-seub-ni-da] - (formal) I will eat well. 

* 잘 먹었니다 [Jal meog-geos-seub-ni-da] - (formal) I ate well. Means thank you for the food.


* Words that have the ㅂ in them like or are pronounced more as an m sound rather than a light sound.

     - means that these are the most common ways these phrases are said.

I hope this has been helpful in learning some basic vocabulary and a little simple phrases

Stay Tuned.

Coming next: Vocabulary Rush.