Single Vowel (단모음) / Compound Vowel (이중모음)

Let's Learn Korean Together!

So, I thought it'd be a good idea to start with learning 한글 [Hangeul] first. This first chapter will be for learning vowels.

Single Vowels! (단모음)

[ah] - Sounds like fAther. You can also think of 현아 [Hyun(ah)] of 4minute

► [eo] - Sounds similar to gUt. There isn't an exact English word I know in my opinion that masters the sound.  

►  [o] - Sounds like oh or agO. 

►  [u] - Sounds similar to fOOd or even mOO

►  [eu] - Sadly there is no English word that has this sound. The best way I can explain it is by telling you that all those times K-pop stars say things like KissEU. It's almost like saying ewe, ha.

► [ee] - Sounds like Eat or LEE.

[ae] - Sounds like sAId.

[eh] - Sounds like pEt or mEt. 

** Both  and  sound very similar and most of the time when saying them you can hear the slight difference, but you shouldn't be too worried now because you'll be able to hear the small difference soon enough and adjust.

Compound Vowel! (이중모음)

[yah] - Same as ah but with a y sound

[yeo] - Same sound as eo but with a y sound

[yo] - Same as o but with a y sound

[yu] - Same sound as u but with a y sound

[yae] - Same as ae but with a y sound

[yeh] - Same as eh but with a y sound

[wa] - WAtermelon sound.

[wae] - Sounds like ae but with a w sound. Something that I think helps sound this when you're going to say waiter, but only when you sound out the w and part of the a in the word waiter. 

[oe/oi] - Sounds like WEt.

[weh] - Sounds like WEdding or qUEst.

[wo] - Kind of as if you were going to say WHoa.

[wi] - Sounds like WII game counsle..haha

[eui] - This sound has no English equivalent and can change depending on where put. You are combing both ㅡ andㅣtogether.

** When writing all these out, be sure to always write them out with ㅇ in front like 아, 어, 이, 우, and so on. Verbs cannot stand without that. I didn't put in ㅇ for explanation to be easier.

I hope this was helpful to you a little bit and I hope you could understand the pronciations of some Korean vowels.

Coming soon: Consonants!