1

Holiday Resort

The family holiday. The most dreaded holiday. All teenagers seem to hate it because it's boring. Well, for Meng Jia that was no different. Her parents made her go to England with them every year to the sunny part called Cornwall. The plane journey was the worst because of Jia's younger brother who felt the need to talk all the way there and all the way back when Jia would rather be sleeping, and of course Jia would have to share a room with him and he'd keep her up all night trying to speak English to her.

This was the same for Wang Feifei. She was sharing a room with her annoying younger sister because their parents wanted a room far away from theirs because of how loud the younger child could be, especially in the middle of the night. Every year, Fei had to go on this holiday, although it wasn't much of a holiday. More of a "Fei, care for your sister whilst we walk around and look at boring things" week.

The two girls were staying at the same hotel on the same holiday resort. What will happen when the two meet?

 

Jia was sat in the arcade playing on some claw cranes whilst her parents and brother were in the 'disco' part upstairs. Jia was trying to win something and failing every time when a tall girl stood next to her.

"Need some help?" She asked.

"Uh... Yeah, if you don't mind." Jia said, moving back to let the girl try to win it.

The girl managed to win the thing Jia wanted straight away.

"Here." The girl said, handing it to Jia.

"Thank you." Said Jia, her instinct was to bow but the girl smiled and stopped her.

"Don't. We're the same age probably, I'm just a lot taller." She said. "I'm Fei."

"I'm Jia. You do seem quite tall actually." Said Jia, looking up at Fei.

"My parents are tall, so I'm tall." She said. "What brings you here then?"

"Well, I'm in the arcade because my parents and my brother are at that disco thing upstairs. I'm here in England because my family dragged me here like they do every year..." Jia sighed.

"Ah really? I guess that's my reason for being here too." Said Fei. "How about we hang out for a while?"

Jia nodded. "Alright."

The two spent a few hours in the arcade, talking and playing on the different games. They found out a lot about each other and were quite good friends by the time their parents and younger siblings came out of the disco.

"Let's meet up again." Said Fei. "Tomorrow, here."

"Okay. I think my family will be coming here again anyway, but if not I'll just come here by myself." Said Jia.

"Jia! Hurry up!" Jia's younger brother called.

"See you later." Said Fei.

Jia caught up with her family. Her brother clinged to her arm.

"Who was that girl?" He asked.

"I just met her now. She's from China too, but nowhere near us." Jia said. "Don't ask questions."

Meanwhile, Fei was walking with her family who were a bit behind Jia's family. Fei was watching Jia walking away. She smiled to herself, wanting tomorrow to come sooner so they could meet again.

"What are you smiling about?" Fei's younger sister asked. "Is that girl your best friend? I thought you already had a best friend!"

"She isn't my best friend. I only just met her." Said Fei.

"Are you gonna be best friends with her?" The younger sister asked.

"I don't know. Probably not, since she lives on the other side of China." Said Fei with a sigh.

"Oh. Well, you shouldn't be best friends with her then." Said the younger sister.

Fei shrugged. "I guess so."

 

Jia was lying in bed listening to some music through her earphones so she couldn't hear her younger brother babbling on. She was actually starting to enjoy the holiday, but only because she'd made a friend. For the first time in years, Jia was actually happy on the family holiday.

Fei was also lying in bed, on the other side of the hotel. She was also listening to music to block out her younger sister. She was happy too, because she had a friend now on this holiday who she could relate to and talk to when she wanted to be away from her family. This holiday seemed to be the best so far.

 

this is pretty much an introduction chapter. do you like the story so far?