Of Lollipops, Coffee & Post-its

A Writer's Canvas ▬ Collection of Oneshots | fin.

Dedicated to: SAPPHiREDREAMs


She always left that one lollipop by his locker. Sometimes, she’d even add a little post-it with a short but sweet message for him.

Hope you have a great day!

Enjoy the lollipop!

See you around in school~

Don’t forget to pay attention in class!

Messages like these, stuck onto the lollipop. She’d even taken into account what he was feeling that day. She’d watch him—watch the way he played the piano by the studio.

 

He knew someone liked him, but he didn’t know whom. He never came into school early enough to find out who the mystery girl was. But whatever it was, he wouldn’t bother finding out, because he knew one day she’d confess.

In return for the lollipops and post-its, he would leave a cup of coffee by her locker, and with post-its too.

I’d like to find out who you are, someday.

Have a good time in school today…

Hope the coffee’s still hot!

Look forward to hearing from you~

He’d leave something like that—sometimes even longer, two-lines, perhaps three if he were in the mood. Day by day, his feelings would grow for the girl, and nobody acted like her.

 

It was another day for her, April 30th, a cool morning. She scribbled a short note on the hot pink post-it she’d grabbed from the teacher’s table.

“Happy birthday!” She spoke as she wrote, smiling and adding a tiny heart at the end, not forgetting to fill it in. “Hope you have a wonderful coming-of-age party!”

Sometimes she would scare herself, when footsteps came down the hallway. She’d hide behind the pillar, her heart thumping at a racing car’s speed. Seconds later, she would return to realize that nothing happened and she was merely overreacting.

She wasn’t a particularly beautiful girl, compared to the other girls at her school. Lee Jieun was her name, but most people referred to her as IU. She told people to call her that. She wasn’t small—she was fun-sized, that’s what her friends told her. Or, as some guys said, petite. Her eyes were like jewels sparkling under the sun, that was her best feature—comforting too, especially when people made fun of her past.

Her past wasn’t something she liked to talk about—no, not at all. She hated it. She used to weigh at least 70 kilograms, and ate a lot. It’d taken her a year to lose all that weight and become the healthy, pretty girl she was now.

She refrained from eating too much fatty things, but sometimes she indulges—once in a while. Other times, she’d just work out to burn off the calories.

Have I mentioned? She also had perfect pitch. She could play the piano, violin, guitar, you name it, and she played it. She had the musical background of ten musicians joined together, thanks to her rich parents. She could compose songs of any genre with ease, and had a stunning voice.

“Someday…” She said affectionately to no one in particular, and pressed the lollipop to his locker with the post-it on it.

 

“Jang Wooyoung… and Lee Jieun.”

Her breath was caught in . Out of all people, why him? He, on the other hand, was perfectly fine. Better than fine, actually. Given the opportunity to sing with the class’s most talented girl, he was more than pleased.

“Both of you are to compose a song, and its name has to be ‘Someday’. I don’t care whatever genre it is, one has to sing and the other has to play. Understood?”

“Neh, songsaenim.” Both of them replied, though her tone was of worry, while his was of concern.

All of a sudden, he felt this strange familiarity of her. For some unknown reason. Shrugging it off, he smiled at her softly. She blushed, turning around and pretending to be writing in her notebook.

 

“Someday, huh? What do you think?” Wooyoung asked, walking around her in a circle, stopping right in front of her.

Her heart skipped a beat—literally, she stopped breathing for a second—and tried to smile. “I don’t know. I suppose… A happy tune but with sad lyrics?”

“I can play the guitar. Can we have the guitar as a background instrument, while you sing? Since, obviously, you have more vocal talent than me.”

She nodded, agreeing to the idea. She herself was wondering how she could keep remotely calm under this situation. Resorting to the best comfort she had—music, of course—she took her guitar out and started plucking random strings.

“That’s it, that’s the perfect tune!” She whispered to herself, starting to compose the song. “Wooyoung, listen…” She said, a little louder this time.

“That’s amazing!” He patted her shoulder softly, and helped along with the melody. “And… add this verse. I’ve always wanted to write something like… this.”

A few more hours of hard work later, they had a rough draft of the song. Deciding to test it out, Wooyoung suggested a slower tempo than they had in mind. She wasn’t really for the idea, but went with it anyway.

I hope these tears will stop running someday…”

I hope these tears will stop running someday

Someday after this darkness clear up

I hope the warm sunshine dries these tears

When I feel that I’m getting tired of looking me exhausted,

I want to give all my dreams I’ve kept hard

Every time I feel that I’m lacking in many things more than I have

I lost strength in my legs and drop down

I hope these tears will stop running someday

Someday after this darkness clear up

I hope the warm sunshine dries these tears

Everyday I hold out comforting myself “it’ll be alright”

But it makes me afraid little by little

I tell myself to believe in myself, but I don’t

Now I don’t know how longer I can hold out

But wait it’ll come

Although the night is long, the sun comes up

Someday my painful heart will get well

I hope it helps me now.

I hope the God will help me

I don’t have enough confidence more and more to overcome myself

I hope these tears will stop running someday

Someday after this darkness clear up

I hope the warm sunshine dries these tears

But wait it’ll come

Although the night is long, the sun comes up

Someday my painful heart will get well

Someday… Someday…

“Wooyoung, Jieun, A+!”

She couldn’t believe her ears. Even though she was a brilliant music student, she had no idea how such a strict teacher could give her such a high score! Wooyoung’s eyes shot wide open and couldn’t resist hugging her. She blushed deeply and mentally fanned herself, telling herself to calm down.

“Class dismissed…” The teacher announced after reading off a long list of the scores. Nobody else had gotten an A+!

“We have got to celebrate. What say we go and have a coffee?” He suggested, not realizing that this was probably not a good idea since she’d be blushing her way through the ‘date’.

Convincing herself that it wasn’t, she nodded and said, “Alright, a coffee will do.”

 

The next morning, she was exhilarated. Her ‘date’ with Wooyoung went amazing. Butterflies were still perching on the walls of her stomach, unwilling to go away.

She pulled out a light blue post-it and wrote, congratulations on your A+, you did well!

And then she heard footsteps. This time, she wasn’t hallucinating. With her small body and nimble limbs, she scrambled to the pillar and held her breath, too afraid to say a word.

“So it’s you—Jieun!” He was shocked. She was even more surprised.

“It’s… you.” His tone was so calm it almost sounded like it had a twinge of disappointment in it.

“Is that… bad?” She asked, her fingers pulling on the hem of her blouse, and she was so close to him, just a finger’s-width away.

“No…” He replied, leaning forward and pressing his hand on one side of her, beside her head. “On the contrary, it’s…”

His lips slanted and pressed against hers softly. She could’ve sworn she was in heaven. Smiling, she kissed back. “Perfect.” He finished, pulling away from her.

She didn’t notice that he’d taken a post-it from her and was writing while they were kissing—yes; they kissed for a pretty long time—something.

He turned with a satisfied smirk and waved goodbye, dropping the post-it into her hand. She was shocked stiff, but when she came back to her senses, she realized what was written on the flipside.

I like you too.