Can I Have This Dance?

A Writer's Canvas ▬ Collection of Oneshots | fin.

The Song


“You do realize it’s eleven at night right now, right?”

She turns and smiles. It’s Minho.

“Is it really?” She checks her watch.

“Why would I lie to you?” He smiles and walks towards her, putting his bottle of water on the floor.

“There’s something I’ve always wanted to try.”

He takes her arm, and bows down slightly. She tips her head, putting her other hand on his shoulder. Smiling, Minho slides his arm around her waist, pulling her close.

“Before I forget…” Yoona takes out her iPod and connects it to the speaker, playing it and going back into his arms.

Take my hand, take a breath, pull me close, and take one step…

The familiar tune plays. He smiles—it’s the song Yoona and Minho danced to the first time they met at senior prom. Now, married at twenty-five and twenty-seven respectively, they are dance trainers, Yoona teaching ballet and Minho teaching hip-hop.

“I remember this…”

Keep your eyes locked to mine, and let the music be your guide…

He takes a step back, forth, left, back, and then right. The movements become smoother as the music continues, Yoona easing into his arms, in her leotard and skirt, and ballet shoes. She looks into his eyes and he looks into hers. Having the whole room to themselves allow disregard for where they were going, permitting them to focus on each other.

She goes up en Pointe to reach his height and resumes dancing, their steps turning more confident and quick. He lifts her up with an arm and she arches backwards. As she comes back down, she kisses his nose, smiling gently at him.

Take my hand, I’ll take the lead, and every turn will be safe with me.

He tightens his grip around her waist and pulls her even closer, synchronizing their breaths, lips almost touching, slightly grazing each other as they spin across the room, her occasionally turning away from him and twirling back gracefully.

Her fluid movements have never failed to amaze him, and this time it’s no different. He sings the song softly into her ears; his voice so velvety-soft, she could have melted. She pulls away from him for a moment as they reach the centre.

And you can’t keep us apart, ‘cause my heart is wherever you are…

She drops back down, bending on the ground, just to come back up again and do a fouette turn, extending her back leg forth and pulling it in to touch her supporting knee, aiding her turn as she rises to en Pointe again, turning ten rounds at once effortlessly. Her last turn includes a step towards Minho, wrapping her leg around his back.

Minho leans forward while holding onto Yoona’s back, allowing her long dark hair to fall backwards, with her arching at a sharp angle. Before she can lose balance he quickly pulls her back again, and meets her lips with his.

They kiss for a few moments.

And with every step together, we just keep on getting better…

Going flatfoot again, Yoona steps backwards, guiding the dance, gripping his hand tightly and smiling at him. He lets her go, opening his arms and gliding back. She tilts her head to the side and he holds out his arms wider. She nods, finally getting it and leaps into his arms.

He lifts her up once more and carries Yoona bridal-style, spinning her around the room. She locks his arms around his neck, careful not to hurt him while letting herself go, letting down all the guards for that moment.

Let it rain, let it pour, what we have is worth fighting for…

Setting her down gently, Minho puts his arms around her torso, letting their stomachs touch a little while he turns her around. She balances carefully before allowing herself to remove her arms from his torso and closing her eyes, singing breathlessly and probably out of tune, but she is too happy to care.

It’s one in a million the chances of feeling the way we do…

As the song slows to the end, he pulls her close, noses grazing. She pants slightly and looks at his face, which was a little red from all that dancing. Chuckling softly, he leans down and kisses her gently as she returns flatfoot, cooling down.

She kisses back equally gently, not wanting to put too much effort into the kiss. When Minho pulls away, she smiles wanly.

“I’ll always remember this song…” Yoona whispers into his ear, leaning on his shoulder.

“Because it’s our song. I love you, Im Yoona, and I always will.”

Can I have this dance…