Kim Junmyeon

Twin Stars

It had been two weeks. Junmyeon hasn’t talked to his parents properly since the night they announced their decision. It’s not that he’s being an ungrateful son, or whatever; perhaps, just a bit rebellious? They accepted his demands considering that it is his future that’s at stake but his mom was so steadfast about the idea of arranging his own marriage so he was forced, once again, to leave that to her. It’s not like he would want to exert effort in busying himself for a superficial event like that anyway.

 

His marriage.

 

The young man scoffed. He had just graduated from Gyeonggi Science High School and is about to start his college life in Yonsei University and they just had to do that. He felt betrayed. He felt used. He felt given away without a fight. Why, of all people, should make him feel that way? Is he not good enough?

 

He had two weeks to think about what had happened. The questions and emotions overwhelmed him, he must admit. It wasn’t easy calming himself but just like what felt like his mantra for the past fourteen days, what choice does he have? There are only three of them in the family, each holding a responsibility for the success of the company. This is his, obviously.

 

To be honest, he’s learning to accept the news little by little. He knew he’d end up in this situation anyway. It just so happen that it was pushed way earlier than it should be. All his life, he has planned to get married after college. Apparently, fate insisted that he doesn’t.

 

Junmyeon considers it a consolation to be able to choose who he wishes to be his wife; although it still pains him so much that he wouldn’t be able to ask who he really wanted. Krystal has Kris already and he even played a part so they could get back together.

 

Plus, Soojung’s not exactly a commoner so technically, his parents would keep her out of the choices even if she’s available. And that’s what exactly irks him to death. He has loved her for years even before the kingka happened; but fate was never on his side.

 

And so that means, he has to take this one girl he had always wanted to be with and find another.

 

I am such a loyal and responsible son, he mumbled sarcastically.

 

 

He walked around the neighborhood. It wasn’t executive or whatever. The houses are just ordinary two-storey buildings that vary in designs. Even theirs are like that! Well, it does look expensive somehow but they’re not mansions. It’s not built from marbles or expensive concrete. It’s not gilded or adorned with antique stuff or anything. Their house was nothing special.

 

Once again, he puffed a sigh. He can’t help but feel annoyed over people’s accusation that they are an ‘elite’ company which caters to middle-class families. For god’s sake, they own a law firm! He doesn’t get it seriously. Perhaps, the rumors came from some jealous smaller firms, and it’s just sad that in South Korea, the public tend to be so judgmental and opinions are greatly affected by gossips, although baseless and ridiculous.

 

To clear it all, they’re not elite. It is his father’s belief that for the clients to trust them, they have to make them feel like they’re one with them. That’s why they discarded the desires to live a slightly luxurious life even though they can afford it. If they did, would they be living in a simple area as the one they’re currently in?

 

Why are people so difficult most times?

 

 

As the rustles of the autumn leaves overpower the silence of the surrounding, the cold wind kissed him. It was comforting, like it’s telling him that everything’s going to be okay. Maybe, it would be. Someday.

 

But when will that ‘someday’ be?

 

 

Actually, he had concluded that the idea of marriage is not actually the problem. During those two weeks he managed to think about it deeply, he realized that if this is what his being the heir to the firm will require, then so be it. That’s what loyalty means, right? And he trusts his parents so well. Their intentions are never wrong, right?

 

But what about his freedom? If there’s anything Junmyeon values the most, it’s his freedom. Getting married is like getting locked up forever with a woman – a woman who he might never know at all.

 

As he continued walking, he tripped on a hump he never noticed. He fell to the ground and scratched his palm. So much for being the always careful one, he mentally scolded himself.

 

But even before he could stand up, warmth dampened his arm as he felt a soft pair of hands around it, pulling him up from the fall. As his gaze wandered to who it was, a smile appeared on his thin, beautiful lips.

 

And the person did the same.

 

 

Suddenly, the thoughts occupying his mind a few minutes ago came back to his reverie. Getting married is like getting locked forever with a woman – a woman who he might never know at all.

 

 

 

Or maybe, a woman he knows so well.

 

 


A few chapters will be spared for introduction.

Geez. I'm not sure if I'm actually doing a good job with the plot.

But yeah, hopefully, it will be good enough. :)