A Mother's Favor

Twin Stars

Not informing Eunbyeol, Junmyeon drove to the nearest park as requested by Mrs. Cho. His heart was thumping relentlessly across his chest as he pulled the car over into the silence and darkness of the area. Suddenly, it occurred to him another level of seriousness of whatever he had gotten himself and his best friend into. The mother wants to talk to him and somehow, he knew he didn’t create a positive impression.

 

“Will I not take up your time?” The old woman spoke in the typical comforting voice Junmyeon had known her for. “I know you’re busy but I just need to let everything out.”

 

The young man smiled encouragingly despite his lips trembling in nervousness. Guilt rode his conscience wild as he realized that he should have talked to the mother first before convincing the daughter to help him with his family’s ridiculous plan. “I’m all ears, Mrs. Cho,” he said like the gentleman that he is. “You can tell me everything.”

 

Mrs. Cho nodded as her gazes fell on her lap. The dim light coming from the nearby lamp post was creating a dramatic atmosphere, reflecting her thoughts. But as a mother, it is her responsibility to say what’s on her mind, right?

 

“I just want to ask for a favor actually,” she mumbled as her hands clasped tightly together.

 

It wasn’t what Junmyeon expected to hear from his future mother-in-law; but he immediately realized that it’s better than suffering from the wrath of a bypassed person. So with relief obvious in his beautiful face, he smiled. “What is it, Mrs. Cho?” He asked, convincing himself that he’ll try hard to give whatever she’ll be asking for.

 

Slowly, the woman lifted her gaze. Amidst the lack of proper lighting, her eyes glimmered as tears threatened to fall – sending the young man in a state of panic.

 

“Ma’am, what’s wrong!?” Junmyeon mindlessly asked as he reached to touch the woman’s arms to comfort her.  But even before he could touch her, she flinched and moved a little away from him.

 

“Mrs. Cho…” The young man couldn’t deny the hurt in his face; but as he detected the sense of fear on the old woman’s face even in the dark, he couldn’t help but feel so sinned. It was like he scared her… But why would she be scared of him?

 

Realizing what she had done, Eunbyeol’s mother immediately regained herself and apologized. Yet, she didn’t move any closer to the man beside her. Instead, she leaned her side on the car door and wiped her cheeks probably to get rid of tears which may have fallen without her permission.

 

“I-I’m sorry,” she muttered. “I shouldn’t have acted that way.”

 

If it was even possible, Junmyeon felt heavier hearing her apologies. Why would she apologize? Why can’t he apologize? Was there a need for her to say sorry? Shouldn’t he be the one feeling sorry?

 

Not able to take it in any longer, the young guy turned to his side and grabbed the cold hands of the old woman beside him. He stared at her face although she refused to meet his gaze; and it killed him, because he wasn’t that dense to know that there’s something that’s bothering the mother of his future wife, and it greatly involves him.

 

“Please Mrs. Cho,” he pleaded. “Tell me what you want to say.”

 

Probably realizing that the best way to say something is to speak, the woman straightened up and reclaimed herself.  “The favor,” she began in a low voice. “I’m begging you please don’t hurt my daughter too much.”

 

Suddenly, tears fell like waterfalls from the mother’s eyes. Hushed sobs echoed through the small confines of the GLX car they’re in. Mrs. Cho was crying, repeatedly mumbling the favor she was pleading the other person for.

 

Junmyeon, on the other hand, was stunned. He couldn’t speak. He didn’t even know how to react. His eyes were wide at the sudden display of emotions coming from the person he had always known to be bubbly and strong. Where did that woman go?

 

Taking advantage of the silence, Mrs. Cho bit back her sobs and bravely met her future son-in-law’s eyes. Still with the loving look on despite the freefalling waterworks, she stared at him as she explained what her favor was all about.

 

“Eunbyeol is a strong lady. Since she was a child, she had always been independent. She’s the type to not care about thing that doesn’t concern her. She doesn’t pay attention to too much people because she thinks it’s not worth her time,” Mrs. Cho stated. “But the charm of Eunbyeol can only be seen by people who actually try hard to know her. You’re her best friend but I think you must understand that when it comes to people she considers important, she’s ready to lay her life on the line.”

 

Junmyeon breathed out what he had been holding in for a few seconds. “Why are you telling me this, ma’am?”

 

The old woman pursed her lips and closed her eyes, as if contemplating on whether she should speak her thoughts or what. In the end, she decided it best to let the man know of what she’s thinking so she decided not to hold back anymore.

 

“I won’t pretend I’m not mad or anything,” she said with a sudden twist on her attitude, which made Junmyeon cringe. “I am angry at you for putting my daughter in this kind of compromising situation.”

 

The young man wanted to say something but Mrs. Cho shook her head, stopping him from butting in. “I’m mad because I feel like my daughter is being used and it bounces back to me because right now, I feel like I just sold Eunbyeol to a stranger.”

 

To say that Junmyeon was affected was an understatement. He wasn’t just affected. He was burned. His heart felt like it was stabbed with a rusty knife, and guilt hurt him more than ever. Mrs. Cho had just admitted that she’s mad at him, and it’s because of his outrageous proposal. It hurt him too that he was thought of as a stranger.

 

He wanted to say something – to defend himself, to convince her that she wasn’t selling her daughter off. He wanted to in, but he was immediately stopped and the anger died down easily as he heard the most desolate voice she had ever heard.

 

“But I can’t do anything because my daughter decided on her own to marry you,” she revealed. “I wanted to refuse but as I looked at her eyes, I knew she wanted to do this – because your friendship was probably the best for her.”

 

Junmyeon blinked as he felt guiltier than ever. He realized that his best friend just hopped into a life-changing decision recklessly because he asked her too; and so he was given the irrevocable responsibility to give Cho Eunbyeol the best kind of life.

 

“I’ll take care of your baby, Mrs. Cho,” he blurted out in the softest voice he has, all of a sudden. “I promise you, I won’t let her get hurt.”

 

The woman shook her head. “Please don’t give me false hopes,” she whispered, confusing her daughter’s best friend. “This set up you have put yourselves into will hurt you, and that’s okay with me. But please don’t be the reason for her pain. Eunbyeol may seem strong but she’s as fragile as a baby. She cries when she’s scared; and she’s not totally fond of darkness and thunderstorms. She doesn’t like being alone in a room because she’s afraid of ghosts; but when she’s holding a book, leave her alone. She’s easily jealous too, and though I know this is just an arranged marriage, you’re still her best friend and that’s still a relationship she could base her jealousy from.”

 

Listening to the words Eunbyeol’s mom was speaking, Junmyeon concluded in her head how much she doesn’t know her best friend. Yet, it convinced him more to take care of her. And he’ll do that. He promised himself he’ll do that.

 

Encouraged to continue, the mother kept on sharing her knowledge about the future bride. “She’s totally moody and she can be quite a handful when she’s at such phase; but please be patient. Never get mad at her for being such a child because that’s just her form of sweetness. She loves cuddling so don’t push her away. She could be noisy, but please listen to her. Because from that she gets her much needed self-confidence from,” she said.

 

“My baby may not be perfect, but she’ll try to be for you. So please appreciate that.”

 

Junmyeon was just nodding, telling the woman with his eyes to continue. But Mrs. Cho thought it was enough. Everything else about her daughter, the young man has to find it himself when they’re finally married. 

 

After some moments of letting the thoughts sink in, the young man killed silence. “I know I’m not going to be a perfect husband as we’re both so young; and I know you’re mad at me for dragging your daughter into this mess,” he began. “But trust me, I’ll do anything to make Eunbyeol feel so appreciated. This relationship may not have the romantic love necessary for a marriage to work but I believe in our friendship to know that we’re going to get by just fine.”

 

Contented with his reply, Mrs. Cho finally let out a smile. “Thank you,” she muttered. “I entrust you my daughter now.”

 

It should have been nothing, but after hearing the approval, Junmyeon’s heart swelled with pride. He didn’t know why, but as he drove his future mother-in-law home, he realized that the reason’s no longer important… yet.