PROLOGUE

Twin Stars

“This is ing crazy,” he muttered as he leaned harshly at the back rest of his chair.

 

“Language, Kim Junmyeon,” his father warned sternly. “I did not raise you to be such a disrespectful kid especially in front of your mother and all these food.”

 

A chuckle escaped his lips but there was not even the slightest of humor in it. If any, it’s dripping with sarcasm. Yes, he never once raised his voice in front of his parents. He had always been this soft-spoken, courteous son to them. But the rebel in him had to let out. How dare his father talk about disrespect when they clearly became the biggest example of that the moment they decided to sign him up for a ridiculous idea?

 

“WELL, EXCUSE ME!” He bellowed as he threw the napkin on his plate harshly. Clanks of the cutleries resounded through the wide spacious room but no one among the three souls cared. “I didn’t realize I had to show respect when you clearly didn’t bother to make use of it when you decided on this!”

 

There was a loud gasp that came from his mother who seemed hurt with the accusation, but Junmyeon couldn’t care less. He had to be firm on his stand.

 

“I’m not getting married,” the younger man said with an air of finality.

 

A moment of silence followed. Nothing was heard except the deep breathing, occasional gasps and muffled sobs.

 

Suddenly, he felt his hands being held by another. It was warm but somehow, it gave him the chills. When he looked at it, he saw his father grasping it tight, as if pleading for obedience and understanding.

 

“It’s the only choice for our business to survive,” the older Kim admitted, forcing his voice not to crack. “We don’t want to let you know but there had been a lot of destructive issues going around about our company being so elite and we need to prove them otherwise.”

 

Junmyeon breathed, controlling his anger. He knew it has something to do with the business. “But what does this got to do with me?” The child asked, sounding genuinely confused.

 

This time, it’s his mom who answered. “We need you to marry a commoner so that the people will believe that we are not an elite company,” she said.

 

To be honest, Junmyeon wanted to laugh at the hilarity of the situation and his parents’ idea but seeing the tears in his mother’s eyes, he decided that it would be better to set the thought aside. After all, there is nothing hilarious in the situation. They set him up for marriage, for the sake of the business, and they knew how much this company means to him even as a child.

 

Somehow, it felt like being blackmailed by his own family.

 

Aren’t there any other choices?” He tried to compromise, finding a nice, clean way out without putting up an obnoxious fight.

 

But the lady of the house got up from her seat and rushed to hug her only son from behind. “It’s the fastest way out,” she admitted.

 

Junmyeon heaved a painful sigh of defeat. As he felt his mother’s hug tighten around his neck, the more real the situation becomes. He couldn’t believe they’d sell his happiness for money, but then for years, they had depended on their money for happiness.

 

And that convinced him that maybe, just maybe, this is really fate calling him to take part on the responsibility.

 

As he listened to the sobs of his mother and as his father’s silence continued to plead for approval, he realized that he never wanted it to be this way. Yet, what can he do? He’s in no position to refuse.

 

His heart beat fast as he racked his mind for a decision (not like he had a choice anyway). He hated being forced, but that very moment, he had to be dragged to somewhere he doesn’t like.

 

Indeed, life will take you to a place you hate most and you can’t do anything but to tag along. 

 

Junmyeon disentangled himself from his mother’s grasp. “Fine,” he lifelessly muttered as he felt like he just signed himself to a voluntary death sentence. “But I need a compromise.”

 

Mr. Kim straightened up and turned from a father to the businessman that he is. In his mind, the thought of compromise is better than nothing. Further, it reflects his son’s possible capability to actually lead the company when his time comes.

 

“What is it?” He challenged.

 

The young man straightened himself up too, exuding the same aura that could match his father’s. “Give me a major position in the company so I can start my training as soon as I got married,” he challenged.

 

“Fair enough,” Mr. Kim nodded. “You’ll have a managerial position directly under my supervision once the marriage is announced. I’ll have to do that anyway so let’s just do it earlier and –“

 

“Second and last,” Junmyeon interrupted, making his parents’ eyes round in surprise. “I will be the one to choose my wife.”